Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/22/2005, 01:13 AM
Registered Member

I got some of that stuff (first picture) as a hitchhiker on some of my first liverock when I first set up my tank. Unfortunately, the initial hair algae outbreak (my only one ) crowded it out and killed it. It grew fast under my PCs, but I could never get it to attatch to anything.

It is easily my favorite algae. I haven't seen any since last December, which is sad because I'm setting up a 10 gallon macroalgae tank soon and can't find any!

On a sidenote, and since it was mentioned earlier in the thread, I too am involved with crystalography and X-ray diffraction work. What is it about us scientific types that makes us like the same things?
Old 12/26/2005, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

Bio-Chemist, Crystalographer, Scientist Extraordinaire... blah, blah, blah... j/k... it is interesting to find that this thread is so full of people with such similar occupations

I'll be shocked when everyone else chimes in that they work in day care (I just left my over 3yr position as 12-18mth teacher ) or social work (I now work at a children's shelter)... but I doubt that'll happen, so maybe I should just admit, odd-ball out, like normal, lol.

I will add that ya'll (yes, I'm Texan, too) are very fortunate... we never have macro's or plants available locally except the occational cheato at the LFS or calurpa & cheato from felow hobbyist. I guess I'll have to break down and order something (anyone selling cheap???, or sharing??? )

Steven
Old 12/26/2005, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chlupl
we never have macro's or plants available locally except the occational cheato at the LFS or calurpa & cheato from felow hobbyist.
I actually found some more of the Halymenia floresii a few days ago at a LFS here. Guy wanted $69.99 for the rock. All it had on it was two mushrooms and about 15 pink (not a great pink, I might add) zoas. What made the price so high, he told me, was that not only did it have the corals, but it also had 3 species of caluerpa on it! This guy doesn't ever sell anything because nothing costs less than double what it's worth. Oh well. Looks like another great hitchhiker out of my reach!
Old 12/26/2005, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

one of the LFS's used to sell calurpa and now only sells the cheato every once in a while. I was going to start passing my surplus on to them (they pay next to nothin for it, but every bit helps), when I decided to start the proping system. Now I'm building up my 2nd fuge and thinking of improving my first, so I guess I'm back to keeping the cheato to myself, lol.

The LFS did have a fan macro a while back in the $30 frag tank... not likely!!!! Then I was at someone's house and saw it in their tank; turns out they sold it for like $6 and now I'm mad at myself for not asking.

Steven
Old 12/26/2005, 06:21 PM
Sea cowgirl

I have great news.. the Halymenia is growing back the frond edges that were 'burned'! New growth looks like spiky bumps all over the thallus as mentioned before.. and they elongate slowly into fronds. I'm so excited. And it attached to the rockwork too!

The bad news is that while I was gone my tank sitter didnt dose any alkalinity and I may lose the cool calcerous red in the second picture. Sigh. Small victories, eh?

Steven I almost always have a lot of Caulerpa prolifera to share.. just pay to ship it. PM me.

>Sarah
Old 12/26/2005, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

Don't be scared to ask about anything the LFS have for sale. I was in OKC this past week. I found three fish stores that had different types of red macro. One told me no sale, they were trying to grow it out for thereselves, another told me it wasn't ready for sale yet--but they took my info--and I am suppose to get dibs on it. The last fish store sold me some--$5.00 for like a pint of it. Also I always know when the fish stores locally are getting shipments in, and try to get first picks of all the good stuff they get in. Sometimes it means paying $15 for a rock, that I really don't need, but it has cool stuff on it. As far as I can tell I am the only one town who is always on the macro search.... One LFS sets stuff aside for me, it pays to be a regular customer!!!
Old 12/26/2005, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

Conrats! I hope it keeps growing well. How long did it take to attach, and how did you accomplish it?
Old 12/26/2005, 09:03 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by jcatblum
Sometimes it means paying $15 for a rock, that I really don't need, but it has cool stuff on it.!
I've bought SPS before to get the hitchhikers!
Old 12/26/2005, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

well this store does tend to run high on prices and then in return they only give 1/3 trade-in credit while the other lower-costing place gives half... It didn't shock me they wanting 30... but they have been known to have $30 on TLC almost gone coral...

Having not shipped anything... have any idea what shipping is like from where you are to west texas? I may definitely take you up on that offer... I have cheato, grape calurpa, razorblade calurpa, and just got some feather (very small peice that has doubled in length in less than 2 weeks ). I am also picking up some mangroves tomorrow that a local reefer found... ordered as a group and got them at $2 ea shipped... Can't wait to get them going...

Thanks all,
Steven
Old 12/27/2005, 03:32 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Seahorsewisprer
I've bought SPS before to get the hitchhikers!
Me too, tons of times Boy do I miss working in wholesale and being able to simply sort thru all incoming livestock for cool hitchhikers Got most my macro that way
Old 12/27/2005, 11:48 AM
Sea cowgirl

Quote:
How long did it take to attach, and how did you accomplish it?
Looking at my notebook, I think I've had it nearly four weeks now. I just tied it with black cotton thread to the rocks I chose for it and gave it enough flow to keep nuisance algae off but the algae in place. Teeny little holdfast tissue is there now but I havent taken the threads off yet.. I'll wait another month or so to be sure its held well.

>Sarah
Old 12/29/2005, 11:39 AM
Moving Along

Heres mine:

It came as a hitchhiker as well.Funny thing is Ive had the rock for over 2 years(was not visible when I bought it either!), but I guess my late emerald crabs liked it,as Ive never seen it let alone in my tank till recently. Theyve been gone for over 6 months now, and this guy sprouted up outta no where a couple months after that, this is about 2-3 months growth, from what must a been just spec in a crack earlier.

Btw, its not your imagination. Unless were both on the same recreational medicine They do flouresce!

-Justin
Old 12/29/2005, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

I lucked out and got some on LR.
Currently it is the fastest growing macro algae in that tank.

I've noticed that the orange dots are noticeable on new growth in low light. The fronds (?) are very rounded in shape in low light.

As the algae grows higher into the light, it becomes more forked, and the edges are red, but the rest becomes lighter in colour.

Old 12/29/2005, 05:55 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by GreshamH
Got most my macro that way
Do you still have a planted tank?
Old 12/30/2005, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

Ok, I am not sure if this is the right way to do this but,
I started a WTB thread. :-) I have never seen this macro at a LFS, or for sale on the web.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=738486