Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/21/2005, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Collecting Clownfish Fry

I had a question for everyone. I have been reading a lot of threads on raising clownfish and I've noticed that most, if not everyone waits until the fry hatch and then collect them. I was wondering why?

I had a pair of Maroon and a pair of Ocellaris clowns that were spawning in the same 55 gallon tank at the same time. I use to take the tile out that they would lay the eggs on and put it into a 10 gallon tank to hatch them (on the night of the hatch). I was wondering why more people don't do it this way. Which is the better way?
Old 12/21/2005, 03:19 PM
Premium Member

At least in my case, my clowns will only lay their eggs on the wall of the tank. I attempted to have them lay them on a tile, but they knocked it out of their way and proceeded to lay on the wall. The tile method is usually better as you minimize transfer damage, but it is not always possible in situations like mine.

Old 12/21/2005, 04:10 PM
Premium Member

My reasoning is silly, this was the first eggs from my pair, so I didn't want to do anything to upset them until I knew that would lay more. They did that last night! I may remove their rock this time, who knows. I really found the act of waiting for and catching the fry kind of exhilerating, but I bet that'll change soon enough. In short, I did it cause I was a newbie at raising fish

Jason
Old 12/21/2005, 05:59 PM
Premium Member

Re: Collecting Clownfish Fry

Quote:
Originally posted by 1jared1
I had a question for everyone. I have been reading a lot of threads on raising clownfish and I've noticed that most, if not everyone waits until the fry hatch and then collect them. I was wondering why?

Wird threads you have been reading
It is exactly the opposite.Everybody pull the nest the hatching night,except the people having their clowns spawning on non removable objects.
Old 12/22/2005, 12:05 AM
Moved On

Re: Collecting Clownfish Fry

Quote:
Originally posted by 1jared1

I had a pair of Maroon and a pair of Ocellaris clowns that were spawning in the same 55 gallon tank at the same time. I use to take the tile out that they would lay the eggs on and put it into a 10 gallon tank to hatch them (on the night of the hatch). I was wondering why more people don't do it this way. Which is the better way?
Easy. It is not a choice. Those that have clowns that spawn on tiles, take the tiles out to hatch. Those whose clowns spawn on an immovable object, don't --they are forced to collect the larvae post hatch.

I've never heard of anyone with spawns on a tile, waiting until hatch to remove the larvae. !!!!! Where in the world have you seen this?