Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Middle Tennessee Reef Club (MTRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/24/2007, 12:31 AM
New Aquatronica Fan

Nope... TN Reefers is just in general. There are 4 groups that I'm aware of: East TN Reef Club, Middle TN Reef Club, Chattanooga, and West TN Reef Club.

Brandon
Old 12/24/2007, 10:47 AM
Catch and release

Quote:
Originally posted by scouncil
Do they allow people that don't know much and want to learn?

I think that's what most of us enjoy most....sharing our experiences and helping others in the hobby. Our advice might not always be spot on but we try
Old 12/24/2007, 11:03 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NeveSSL
Nope... TN Reefers is just in general. There are 4 groups that I'm aware of: East TN Reef Club, Middle TN Reef Club, Chattanooga, and West TN Reef Club.

Brandon
Don't forget the North Tennessee Reef Club
Old 12/24/2007, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

Shouldn't all the groups have a link on the region page? It would sure help us new to reef central people find you all. I've had a salt water tank for a while, but never knew any of this existed (ok, I'm a little slow) until I started doing some internet research on refugiums....
Susan
Old 12/24/2007, 12:49 PM
New Aquatronica Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by crumbletop
Don't forget the North Tennessee Reef Club
Crap! My apologies to the NTRC guys and gals. Had I attended the last meeting we had like I was planning on, perhaps I wouldn't have been so forgetful.

Quote:
Originally posted by scouncil
Shouldn't all the groups have a link on the region page? It would sure help us new to reef central people find you all. I've had a salt water tank for a while, but never knew any of this existed (ok, I'm a little slow) until I started doing some internet research on refugiums....
Susan
There actually are links on the regional page, they're just not all together unfortunately. They're in alphabetical order. It would be GREAT if they would group them by state and THEN in alphabetical order... but oh well! I'm just glad they allow us to use their bandwidth.

Brandon
Old 12/25/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Wow! I never knew there were so many reef groups around here. And I thought that I was an oddity with a big salt water tank around here..... I would guess that Chattanooga is the most convenient around here, and SURE I'd drive to middle TN to get Chaeto. Unless 5th day has it for cheap, it's pay $10 for a little ball of it or drive a 100 miles for a bigger ball. It's a wash either way. And I get to meet other reefers and PICK THEIR brains about the proper refugium set up! I get good gas milage anyway....

I get the feeling that 5th day is going to answer a lot of questions for me, but I think I'm going to try to make some of the local meetings. The TN people do sound great (uh, you don't play rap music at the meetings do you, I couldn't stand that.....).
Susan
Old 12/25/2007, 02:08 PM
Premium Member

No music at all, I did offer to sing one time and everyone left (just kidding). If you meet Brandon for lunch sometime let know and I will join you and we can have a mini-meeting I could also bring you a clipping of my cheato or culpra.

Norman
Old 12/25/2007, 11:50 PM
New Aquatronica Fan

I think Norman is looking and just found an excuse to go to Demos' as well!

Brandon
Old 12/26/2007, 08:25 AM
Premium Member

ahhh, you know me well (and they were closed Christmas Eve )

Norman
Old 12/27/2007, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

A mini meeting!!! Lots of fun (and I take it that Demos is really good)! Anyone else? I'll take all the free clippings that I can get!
Old 12/27/2007, 08:20 PM
Premium Member

A wonderful place to eat & excellent price, really a bargin.
CYA soon

Norman
Old 12/27/2007, 11:58 PM
New Aquatronica Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by fallinapart
A wonderful place to eat & excellent price, really a bargin.
CYA soon

Norman
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Brandon
Old 12/28/2007, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

OK, I figure it probably won't be any sooner than Saturday the 5th of Jan or maybe the 12th. I went to 5th day today and I think that they had to use a mop for all the drool (very embarrassing....). I think I might pay to have them come in and do all the below tank plumbing (especially since he said he and his partner would help bring the tank into the house- that alone is worth it almost.....). He talked me into getting rid of my coralife 220 super skimmer and I'm going to get a Tunsi model, but I was too cheap to purchase a refugium from him (DH is already croaking from the cost of all the extra stuff....). I'm (or rather DH) is making the refugium out of a 75 gal tank.
Susan
Old 12/28/2007, 11:51 PM
Premium Member

Yea, much cheaper, and more fun to make it yourself
Congrats on the new tank

Norman
Old 12/29/2007, 12:59 AM
Registered Member

Thanks! I've been wanting a bigger tank for a while now. Now I guess that I will really have to learn what I'm doing.....
Old 12/31/2007, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

OK,I need to come to Nashville on the 5th, so maybe we can have an early supper in the late afternoon? Would that work? I would meet for lunch, but then I'd either have to leave my new refugium plants in the car (probably a bit cold) or carry them around with me inside a crowded place in Nashville (and maybe never even getting there because I'd be taking too long picking your brains.....).

What do you think?
Old 01/01/2008, 12:05 AM
Premium Member

That would be fine for me, and I can offer a Styrofoam container to put the macroalgea in. Call when you get close and we can meet for late lunch or early dinner. cell number is area code (six one five,) five one nine, 3726

Norman
Old 01/01/2008, 04:01 AM
New Aquatronica Fan

I'm not sure if I can make that or not as far as lunch goes (not sure just yet when the family is leaving ), but I can still get you some chaeto for sure! I may try to drop it off with Norman Friday or so. It will probably be ok in the cold... not as positive on the starfish that are in it, tho... hehe... but in styrofoam it would probably be ok. If you could bring a little cooler or something, that should keep the temp more stable for the critters and such.

I'll let you guys know once I find out more.

Brandon
Old 01/01/2008, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

It would probably be around 4 at the earliest.

Isn't nashville about an hour from you?

I'll be at the state fairgrounds from about 10 or 11 until whenever I have to leave (depending on how far it is to you all- Demos). I'd rather it not be later than 5pm since I'll have to drive home and might pick your brains for at least an hour or so.....

We could eat at 3pm, but a lot of places don't open for supper until 4pm. Do you all know when they open for supper?

Later (supper instead of lunch) will work out better for me. And the plants are going to have to live in a bucket with a pump and light for probably a week or so before the tank gets up and running (DH is in VA and the refugium isn't chalked up yet- part of the brain picking).

Just some thoughts on what I'm picking your brain for- How deep should the sand be in the refugium- how deep in the tank?

How big should the refugium be (have a 75gal tank for refugium/skimmer area and return pump area- need enough space for the tank to drain when power off- tank in 48x18x I think 18 or 20")?

basic questions on switching the tank over from the 100gal to the 220.... I've got a new RO/DI unit that I have to set up (I think poor RO water was making my corals unhappy or at least not overly happy currently) that I need to set up and get some water out of...., but I'm worried about cycling the tank (some say I can just take all the 100 gal water throw it and fish with remaining new mixed salt and be ok.....

And currently only have one cleaner shrimp and maybe 7 snails. I need to stay at that for a while until the refugium/plants and tank sandbed get going, right? (I have gravel in the current tank which I'm not going to use. I am going to use the 100-150lbs of live rock that I have. Fish wise I have 3 tangs, Coral beauty dwarf angel, large yellow stripe maroon clown/anenome, firefish, diamond back goby, scooter bleny, purple lobster (getting rid of him too), rock bleny, 2 clams, nice hammer, finger leather, several mushrooms, a couple of small colts and a another coral that I am totally blanking on the name Galaxia/gallanta..... probably a couple of other small fish I am forgetting....
Susan
Old 01/01/2008, 11:26 AM
Premium Member

Demo's opens at 10:45 & stays open till 10 or 11 PM. Supper menu prices go in effect at 3PM, same good food, just more of it

powerhead and small light is all you need, in fact that is all I have in my small refugium. When I moved from 55 to 90 gallon, I used some old water, but mostly new mixed water. Had a strong cycle and still added coral to soon, and lost several LPS. So I suggest taking your time in the change over. That was my experience anyway. Tell you more about it Saturday.

Norman
Old 01/01/2008, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

OK, I've got your number, mine is 423-six five zero- 8090. Can we plan on 4 or 5 pm (whatever is more convenient for you would be ok, I can probably keep myself busy until then in Nashville). I figure that Demos won't be too busy at that time?

Maybe Brandon can make it then too? I'll take whatever refugium plants you all are willing to give (that will survive a bucket for a bit) and any critters that come with them (love those little stars- I've got some in my tank and didn't know where they came from).
Old 01/01/2008, 12:29 PM
Premium Member

Super, call it 4:30 @ Demo's, and Brandon, let me know if you can make it or if you need to drop off your stuff for Susan.

Norman
Old 01/01/2008, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

Are you bringing your wife too? Hope so (unless she isn't into saltwater tanks - I'd have to feel sorry for her....) And Brandon, if you have a SO, they are welcome too.... My husband will be on the road from NC, so he won't be there.
Susan
Old 01/02/2008, 08:24 AM
Premium Member

No, my wife died last year and saltwater tanks now take all my time. They keep me busy, off the streets and out of trouble

Norman
Old 01/02/2008, 01:20 PM
New Aquatronica Fan

For a second, I thought SO was "Security Officer". It finally clicked as "Significant Other".... I think...

I believe my wife and I may be at Demos' that day, but with my parents as they have yet to go there!

They may come up Thursday instead, tho... I'll let you guys know if I'll be able to make it or not.

Brandon