Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/03/2007, 02:03 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

T5 lamps: Fiji Purple vs. ATI Procolor

Guys, I really screwed up on this. I had said they looked the same but after another reefer got a ProColor and said it didn't look like the Fiji Purple I rechecked my stuff and it turns out they are not the same, not even close. I must have put 2 ProColor lamps in my fixture by mistake. When I checked tonight my tank had a pro color lamp in it instead of the Fiji Purple. The lamp I pulled was also a pro color.

Sorry for the stupid mistake guys. I will do some PAR checks on the Pro Color. I was kinda liking the look with it in my mix but now I gotta try the Fiji and see which I like better. DAMN! I guess I gotta get some glasses.
Old 10/03/2007, 06:25 PM
WildThing....You Moved Me

Is there a picture anywhere comparing the color of the ProColor lamp?
Old 10/03/2007, 07:14 PM

I will try to get one. The Fiji Purple is more subtle. Just a hint of color to it. Might be interesting to use these and the Aquablues instead of daylights but I think I still prefer going with the more red lamp and washing out the color with blue and actinics.
Old 10/03/2007, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

You'll get your beat down later - LOL!

Damn Grim, with the amount of work you do comparing T5's around here, I believe you're entitled to a mistake here and there. Don't take it so hard man.
Old 10/03/2007, 07:43 PM

This was a stupid one. I just can't believe I missed that
Old 10/03/2007, 08:52 PM
Island Jumper

No worries Grim

So far, I have been running a blue+ and a pro color on the same timer and I must say...this is the way to run these. The color is pretty sweet with the two and the purples are popping like crazy. Unfortunatley, my other four bulbs are 1 blue+, 2 aqua specials and another pro color. Looks washed out when all are on.

I'd recommend using a ratio of 1:1 blue+ and pro color for a pretty unique, but nice color.
Disclaimer: The views expressed are the personal experiences of Fijiblue. They are in no way intended as the only solution for your tank. Side effects may include upset stomach and diarrhea. Call your doctor if you experience excitement lasting more than 4 hours.
Old 10/03/2007, 09:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fijiblue
So far, I have been running a blue+ and a pro color on the same timer and I must say...this is the way to run these. The color is pretty sweet with the two and the purples are popping like crazy.
Do you have any pics? I'm curious to see what they look like with the combination you're using.
Old 10/03/2007, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

In this hypothetical combo;

ATI Blue plus
ATI Aquablue
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun

How would the par and "look" change compared to this combo;

ATI Blue plus
ATI Aqua blue
UVL Super Actinic
ATI Pro color
Old 10/03/2007, 09:10 PM
Island Jumper

uno momento...
Disclaimer: The views expressed are the personal experiences of Fijiblue. They are in no way intended as the only solution for your tank. Side effects may include upset stomach and diarrhea. Call your doctor if you experience excitement lasting more than 4 hours.
Old 10/03/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

I originally ran 3 blue plus and 3 aquablue then switched out one of the aquablue for another blue plus, with the end result 4 blue plus and 2 aquablue. I am really curious to see what the 3 blue plus and 3 pro color look like. Would anybody be willing to post a pic?

Grim, everybody makes mistakes. I have always appreciated your help.
Old 10/03/2007, 09:21 PM
Island Jumper

pro color & blue +

procolor
Old 10/03/2007, 09:25 PM
One Good Friend

Fiji, you need some sps man, your tank looks bare! lol, looks great and thanks for the pics
Old 10/03/2007, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for posting that fijiblue! I like the look of the first photo but it is missing something, it is almost perfect. The first photo is much better that the second. It almost seems to me that one bulb added to that first photo would make it perfect I just don't know what! LOL
Old 10/03/2007, 09:28 PM
Premium Member

Grim,
For as old as you are im surprised you don't make more mistakes.
We still love you anyway.
Old 10/03/2007, 09:37 PM
Island Jumper

...with all on (2 blue+, 2 blue special, 2 pro color

luke33 - I also thought 30 colonies wasn't enough

Mark75 - Your welcome. I think a daylight (6500) or in my case special puts the finishing touch on.
Old 10/03/2007, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fijiblue
...with all on (2 blue+, 2 blue special, 2 pro color

luke33 - I also thought 30 colonies wasn't enough

Mark75 - Your welcome. I think a daylight (6500) or in my case special puts the finishing touch on.
THAT IS IT!!!!! Perfect spectrum if your picture is true to life. And this is with no actinics? What is a blue special?
Old 10/03/2007, 09:45 PM

I am thinking like 3 blue plus, 2 Procolors and a Actinic might be sweet.

That looks sweet Fiji, thanks for the pics. I will get some PAR numbers from these guys.
Old 10/03/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Okay guys how can I get this look with four bulbs?

Blue plus
Super actinic
Aquablue
Pro color

Will this be close?
Old 10/03/2007, 09:52 PM
Gold Member

Fijiblue, thanks for posting the different combinations! I think your overall color in the last picture looks awesome!
Old 10/03/2007, 09:52 PM

Fiji, if you get the chance post some more pics of your full on configuration. That looks amazing considering there is no actinic in there.
Old 10/03/2007, 10:12 PM
Island Jumper

Quote:
THAT IS IT!!!!! Perfect spectrum if your picture is true to life. And this is with no actinics? What is a blue special?
Yes that is true life...my blinds are white if that helps. The blue plus is a 450 blue bulb. I like them a lot.

Quote:
Okay guys how can I get this look with four bulbs?
Your combo would work nicely.

Quote:
Fijiblue, thanks for posting the different combinations! I think your overall color in the last picture looks awesome!
Thank you

Quote:
Fiji, if you get the chance post some more pics of your full on configuration. That looks amazing considering there is no actinic in there.
Yes, no actinic. T5 actinics just don't seem to work. I am actually in the process of retro fitting 2 vho actinics to my Tek hood. I hope it works.

These colors are not exact (hard to get right color balance with 3 opposite colors, but this gives you an idea. The pro colors are not that purple
Old 10/03/2007, 10:41 PM
One Good Friend

Crap, double post and i couldn't delete...such crap!
Old 10/03/2007, 10:41 PM
One Good Friend

I would totally agree that you don't need actinic's. There junk imo. I know i'll get alot of heat for that one but you can get the fiji's that are much better and you can supplement better than actinic. Bulbs that actually have par
Old 10/03/2007, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

Disclaimer: The views expressed are the personal experiences of Fijiblue. They are in no way intended as the only solution for your tank. Side effects may include upset stomach and diarrhea.

im sorry but i just about peed my pants when i read that.
Old 10/04/2007, 12:06 AM
Island Jumper

Quote:
im sorry but i just about peed my pants when i read that
Im glad it finally made someone laugh!