Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/26/2007, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

what tripod for my canon 40d

Im looking for a new tripod for my canon were do I get one that is pretty good? Id like to have one that is pretty tall my tank is a built in!
Old 12/26/2007, 09:49 AM
Premium Member

My Manfrotto 3001Pro (legs) and 488RC2 (ball head) have taken everything I can throw at it (30D plus goodies). It's a little smaller than 3021 which I originally wanted but I found it was too large to fit into carry-on luggage (I travel quite a bit and didn't want to always check my bags just because of a tripod). Given the extra room, this may be a good choice for you:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...lack_with.html
Old 12/26/2007, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

I use a Manfrotto 3021 with a 484RC2 ballhead which works well. Holds my 20D w/grip and 300mm f/2.8L with no problems
Old 12/27/2007, 09:09 PM
Premium Member

I also have a Manfrotto. Manfrotto is a cheaper pro tripod. Do yourself a serious favor and get a pro tripod. Basically, if you see it in Wal Mart, keep walking.
Old 12/28/2007, 06:17 AM
Registered Member

I bought a cheap tripod at best buy and it works just fine for my 40D. If I were to do something professional I would like a better one but for 50$ it works great and is very easy to use for my aquarium shots. It came with 2 heads and is very light. Cheap yes functional yes. I have read some people that have a very nice 400$ tripod and use a cheap one most of the time as they are lighter and easier to handle.