Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/26/2007, 01:26 PM
Underground Art Studio

Thanks Token for all the information and yes you do have me again looking at the closed loop. Tonight I'll check out the builds of the people you've mentioned - I'm always open as long as I haven't purchased parts .
Old 07/26/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

I totally hear you on the water on the floor!

That is one reason I am so excited to be moving; this allows me to do/have as I have wanted for a good while.

I am an over-the-back kinda guy. I just drilled my first tank, a 15g that is upgrading my 11g and moving to the office. I put two holes in the back and I am terribly paranoid. I had planned a third for the return but I didn't have the will so it's over the top for the return...

The two larger tanks may have holes and I am a bit paranoid about it. Thankfully, I can secure/support the upstairs plumbing and I hope that proves adequate if I decide to drill the tanks for the returns/CL.

As to the check valves: they do restrict flow. Is it possible to put a double bend in your plumbing (think: reverse drip-loop) to accomplish the same thing? This, too, will restrict your flow but it would not be prone to failure (in the middle of the night while you are away on your dream vacation...).

Lastly, I have to confess that Naka's and invicible's tanks are rimless, with PVC bottoms and both are multi-sided displays. Sparkss is a more standard tank, inwall like yours. Nonetheless, all three are demonstrations of planning, flow, lights and excellence. Sparkss's tank most closely approximates what I am attempting and I am willingly following the path he has so carefully trod.

Best of luck! I am finding this to be a wonderful thread, forcing me to look so carefully at what I intend. Thank you!
Old 07/26/2007, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

I gave Sparkss (not that Sparkss's system is not worthy of careful inspection, by the way) credit for Weatherson's design; the sinusoidal valve, etc. I apologize to all parties for that error.

JB NY's tank is yet another!

www.weatherson.com is the resource for the tank I meant to encourage you to see. It is similar in many ways to yours.

Last edited by token; 07/26/2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07/26/2007, 04:34 PM
Underground Art Studio

Not a problem Token - weatherson's thread I've read and have included my build on it. Also Melev's has been a great resource as is my friends MFLamb's 390 build. MFLamb and I started the DIY reflector build for the TBRC - I think I've now built about 50 or so MH reflectors. The first build at my house we built 50 and I've had two other builds after that.

I've done lots of research and I know what I want. I did R&D for a long time and I would have not developed nor designed the software and hardware (with patents) without having a open mind. I'm always open to other ideas - but that doesn't mean I haven't done my research . Might be something new that I haven't seen - but I've seen a lot. Remember there's a reason Tunze can sell their products for so much - supply and demand and lots of reefers love them.

As far as efficiency - The Tunze's are far more efficient than having a closed loop pump - as far as I've seen. The 6101 gives out 3175gph using only 45W. With two pumps - I'm done. With the closed loop, using the Dart pump giving me 3600gph but they use 1.4A/160W. I would need two of these systems and the OM4 times 2. I feel the Tunzes are much more efficient and less plumbing to deal with. I'm willing to look at anything and reread but I haven't seen a pump that is better than the Tunze's.
Old 07/26/2007, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

I am wanting to go the same route myself for my flow.

I missed out on your last build of reflectors. I was considering posting but had to go to Germany for a few weeks. I got your plans from your site and was wondering where you got your aluminum? I wanted to make a few for my new tank.

Any other new updates?

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 07/26/2007, 08:04 PM
Underground Art Studio

Hello Eric, you are definitely asking the right person about reflectors. I was able to get a very good price for the aluminum (Online 7$/FT - mine less than half). I'm very low on the roll I purchased but I can hook you up with a friend of mine that also purchased a roll. His online name is "The Hawk'ster" and he also has it for a very good price and is willing to ship it to you if needed. If you have any problems getting it - just give me a PM and I'll make sure you're set. They were great fun to build and my lighting will be fantastic - at a fraction of the cost. I can't way to get to that part of my build.

For those that are wondering which reflectors - here is a link to my old thread - after all this I still haven't made my reflectors!!!!

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...0&pagenumber=1

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...0&pagenumber=1
Old 07/26/2007, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

Don't feel bad Carol. I didn't put mine together yet either.
Old 07/26/2007, 08:19 PM
Underground Art Studio

Oh - that's to funny Stephen! When it gets closer we can build ours together!
Old 07/26/2007, 08:22 PM
Premium Member

Sounds like a plan
Old 07/26/2007, 08:55 PM
Patient Reefer

Carol,
Token has a good point about your calcium reactor and media reactors. I'm building a manifold that is plumbed off of the sump return pump. The manifold will feed all the reactors, post skimmer, and the reactors will return to the fuge. The plant life will benefit from the extra CO2 deposited by the CA reactor.
Just a thought.
Old 07/26/2007, 08:58 PM
Premium Member

You got any pics Mike?
Old 07/27/2007, 06:03 AM
Underground Art Studio

I see what you're talking about Mike. I had been basing a lot of my plumbing off sidewinder770's layout and he had his all together (pump feeding all media). With our DIY Calcium reactor I didn't want to change the pump (feed to it) so I just dropped it into the sump input area. Having it feed of my return pump would fix my "what kind of pump" do I need to get for the media. I can still keep the pump for the Calcium reactor if I wanted. I'll draw up what I think you're saying and a few other changes I've been thinking about today and post later.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Here are the threads and sites I've really have looked at for my build (or worked directly with - thanks Mike and Melev) - just to give others different ideas:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...91#post8446891

http://www.melevsreef.com/280g.html

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1

http://www.azreef.com/

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=908114
Old 07/27/2007, 03:18 PM
Underground Art Studio

OK - here is a new drawing of my media plumbing. I broke it out of the complete plumbing to move a few things and fix a few others. Here is an update:

Last edited by ReefArtist; 07/27/2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07/28/2007, 07:35 AM
Registered Member

Ok, that makes things much easier to understand. The only potential issue i can see is that if you close off one of the returns from pump 5, the remaining systems would not equally get the resultant flow. But at the same time, since the water is coming from the sump and then back to the sump, there is a reduced risk of flooding any one system. Just make sure the drains from the three tanks can handle the flow from the pump and you should be just fine.

Nice diagram btw.

Yes, I really do design rockets for a living.
Old 07/28/2007, 07:17 PM
Underground Art Studio

Hello Rocket - I figured with ball valves at each media unit and each tank if I needed to removed something I can adjust the flow. This way I feel all water should be under control - in theory anyway. My main concern is the tanks handling the flow but - I'll fall back to the ball valves.

Please if anyone see something wrong with my "Theory" please let me know. We don't want water on the floor with this one!

Well, I got my skimmer today from John (FAOIS - LFS) - it's nice. It runs off a Dart with a ReefFlo Needle Wheel Impeller - this thing can pull some crap! I wanted to get it so I can start laying out the fish room. I'm hoping to get the walls up this week.

Old 07/28/2007, 07:46 PM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

Couple questions about plumbing..... What are you using for the pump5 and pump8? Could you just use a bigger pump8? If you have to use two pumps I would consider putting both of them in the location of pump8. It seems like your going to be drawing a whole lot of air into the suction side of pump5 the way you have it drawn, with the skimmer return and the main tank drains, auxiliary tank drains etc. all in that one drop of the sump.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 07/28/2007, 08:05 PM
Underground Art Studio

Thanks Dan, I was originally going to do that but then I added two other tanks to the plumbing mess and thought it might be to much for one. I'm thinking about going with either a Barracuda (4500max) or the Hammerhead (5800max). I thought if I stayed with one pump feeding the main display tank it would give me good flow and then I could slit the two returns and add some Penductor to maximize the flow. From what I understand you need some great flow for the Penductor to work correctly. But once I get the locations of everything and get the calculations from all the connectors - I might be able to use one pump. That would be really nice - and nicer down the road with my power bill.
Old 07/28/2007, 08:21 PM
Patient Reefer

What are the measurements of that skimmer???
That thing looks great!
Old 07/28/2007, 08:25 PM
Underground Art Studio

Dan - I love your build, it looks fantastic. I really like you electrical setup - I'll be starting my in a few weeks.

Hey Mike - here they are the dimensions to the skimmer:
15" x 15" x 5.5" - Base Box
12" x 15.5" - Reaction Chamber
11" Reducing down to 6" - Riser Tube
32" - Overall Height
And of course the Dart on the side.
The capacity is estimated for a 600gal heavily stocked, and up to 1000gal lightly stocked.
Old 07/28/2007, 08:39 PM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

I would calculate the flow you need through everything first, the equipment and all of the aux tanks with individual head loss calculated and totaled then decide on your pump. The downside to one pump setup is you absolutely need a backup pump so the cost savings is really nill. What I would focus on right now if cost savings via power is a goal is how you can gravity feed some of your stuff. Is it possible for instance to have one valve off the return pump feed the seahorse tank, which drains to the infinity and the infinity drains to the frag? Maybe not exactly like that but I think you get the idea. kind of like your tank drain to fuge.....free power.....good.....

If you do go two pumps though, do consider the location change of pump5 since I think this is a real concern.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 07/28/2007, 09:16 PM
Underground Art Studio

I do see what you mean Dan and I like it. The flow through the Sea Horse tank will need to be slow and the same with the Infinity. So there might be a chance of that working. I'll need to draw it out and see if moving a few things will make this work. If I do end up going with the two pumps I would like for them to be the same. Thanks for suggestions - I'll take a look.
Old 08/10/2007, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

How are things going your way??

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 08/16/2007, 06:11 AM
Underground Art Studio

Here's the work that has been done on the fish room - framing is almost complete. I need to put the rafters up and complete the framing of the AC unit window. Once I get this finished the drywall will be added. I need to do this fast because of my power bill - hard to seal everything around the tank. Here's a photo of the framing and the tool that made it look easy! Also my door will need to be cut down but that should be a fairly easy job (right?!)

First my design layout

Looking from the inside of the fish room out

The tool that made this easy!
Old 08/16/2007, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

I can tell from the detail of the drawings that while you say you're an artist, you still have a lot of enginneer left in you.

Nice Job so far. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Yes, I really do design rockets for a living.
Old 08/16/2007, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

I only have a few questions.

Did you consider moving the sump towards the door and the skimmer closer to the two stacked tanks? With a good filter, that A/C unit could help cool not only the room but the sump too. I would worry about it blowing directly on the skimmer. I would also worry about "bumpages" as one enters the room.

How does the plumbing work with the door? Are the Frag and QT tanks tied at all to the sump? Will you move water manually?

A rather random thought but I don't see a work surface.... If one is not currently in the mix, a workable solution, if desired, is to add a droppable surface to the back of the seahorse tank. It could be lifted when needed and dropped when working on the seahorse tank.

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefArtist
Also my door will need to be cut down but that should be a fairly easy job (right?!)
Depends on the door...

Looking great!