Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 05/12/2005, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

Fedex just brought zoanthids....need quick help

the paper says a fresh water dip is HIGHLY reccomended with rodi water and idoine

I dont have iodine should I just use rodi? will that be benifical at all?

Also the packing seems very warm, wrapped in wet paper towels. Will the dip then tank placement shock the corals?
Old 05/12/2005, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

also how do I acclimate with no water
Old 05/12/2005, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

I see your from palm bay. I guess they are covering their butts incase there are parasites on the polyps or something. I have never dipped my corals. Maybe someone else has more knowledge with that. In the mean time, place him in the pitcher or bowl with the water from the shipment. Add small amounts of water from your tank to the bowl for about 30-40 minutes. These things are pretty hardy so don't stress to much.
Old 05/12/2005, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

it sounds to me like there was no water with the shipment, it was just wrapped in wet paper towels
Old 05/12/2005, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

Ok. The shipment came with no water, the zoos were Just wraped in paper towels.

I ve got them in the tank at this point, any ideas on how long it takes for them to open? I just want to make sure I know whats going on if they are DOA
Old 05/12/2005, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

It does sound like it. I'd be pretty upset with the place if my stuff came like that.
Old 05/12/2005, 01:43 PM
Stop touching me!!!

Please tell us where you bought them.
Old 05/12/2005, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

It could take awhile for them to open up. Especially if they were shipped like that.
Old 05/12/2005, 01:44 PM
Premium Member

Yea reading is good.

Look here for info on dipping Zoas.

The water alone will kill some parasites and is better than nothing. Just make sure you adjust the PH of the RO/DI to match that of your tank. You can just place them in your tank after that.
Old 05/12/2005, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

I got them here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=4378230670
Old 05/12/2005, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

i've never acclimated any of my zoos, i don't think theres really a need other than temp. being that they are a polyp they can acclimate themselves. i've never dipped any coral in freshwater. thats my take on it, but i am interested in see others reply to the freshwater dip.
Old 05/12/2005, 01:54 PM
Stop touching me!!!

You paid $40 for that shipping... Wonder how much the paper towels and box cost them.
Old 05/12/2005, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

it is very normal for zoos to be ship that way, no big deal. They should be open in about a day.

And if it was Fexex to you then $40 is a fair price. I shipped a 14 lb box of coral a few weeks ago and it cost me $105.00 via fedex.
Old 05/12/2005, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

If someone does want to give it a fresh water dip and adjust the ph, how do you raise the ph of the RODI water?

Would Kenst Superbuffer work? Or how about baking soda?
Old 05/12/2005, 02:20 PM
Premium Member

most zoos are really hardy- and although I don't know for sure I've heard that some corals ship better when they are just "damp" than if they are in water which can become polluted- but again that's what I've heard. A freshwater dip is very effective against nudibranch parasites. The last three colonies I have brought from LFS around my area have had nudibranchs (little brown ones) that fall off like crazy as soon as I dipped the zoos in freshwater and squirted them with a turkey baster. I also swish the colonies around. Zoos are pretty tough suckers. I've dipped zoos for over 20 minutes in freshwater without controlling the ph or temp of the water with no lasting effects.
Old 05/12/2005, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

I recomend a fresh water dip, this will get rid of any fungus pr parasite, especialy the zoo eating nudibranch, if you happen to get those, they will destroy your zoos population so always dip your zoos even when you trade with someone.

use fresh water, same temperature as your main tank, adjust the ph to match the your tank, drip some drops of lugol or iodine (5 drops per galon) and dip the zoos in there for 5 minutes, after 5 minutes shake off all the junks from the zoos rock and place the zoos in your tank. Spending a little bit of time to save alot of potiential frustration or lost of corals is well worth it.
Old 05/12/2005, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lbrty9
You paid $40 for that shipping... Wonder how much the paper towels and box cost them.

It works out to be 9 bucks a frag. Well worth it. ( if they live) I could spent that eaisly in time / gas trading with folks.

I think everything will be ok, its my first mail order!!!! kinda on edge.

So far the the three nicest ones have opened, absoutly amazing!
(the middle row in the link)