Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/12/2005, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

Confused with all the different additives

I just started my first mini reef about one month ago. So far so good. I have a JBJ 12gal DX with 48watts, 15lbs LR and 2in's of Aragalive LS. So far I have a small frag of blue zoa's (4 polyps ang quickly growing) a candycane, and two green stripped mushrooms, (also quickly reproducing), and a pink open brain. They are doing really well so far but am confused with all the additives and when to add them. Between the buffers, calcium, strontium, magnisium, iodine, etc., it can get really confusing. What should I start out with. All I know is my calcium is at 500ppm. I know I'm gonna need all the other stuff but just dont know where to start. What do yall use? Is there something I can use with most of the important additives in one bottle? Maybe a link to a site explaing what I should do and how. Any help is very much appreciated to this newbie.
Old 05/12/2005, 12:42 AM
TRC Leader

[welcome]

First off, don't add anything you cant test for. Do frequent water changes (10% a month is a good place to start) and test. Don't add anything unless you need it. Most of the time, you don't need it and you just start problems.

Second, spend a lot of time reading and searching here on RC to learn everything you can before adding a product to your tank. The chemistry forum is a great place to start learning about Calcium, Alkalinity, Strontium, and Magnesium.

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 05/12/2005, 12:44 AM
TRC Leader

I agree 100% with Ken. I would also add that you should not skimp on the quality of test kit you buy. Something dependable and accurate is a must. A good kit brand would be Salifert IMO & IME.
Old 05/12/2005, 01:01 AM
Cap'n Crunk

I agree with all the above except i would do bi-weekly waterchanges in a tank this small. you will get quicker buildup of unwanted things, and quicker dissolution of elements in a small system. to 10% every 2 weeks and take the rest of the advice.
all i ever mess with is calcium, alkalinity and ph. the rest of things are either needless additives or can cause serious problems like Iodine, which is a poison and nearly impossible to test for.

good luck,
chris
Old 05/12/2005, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

I agree with chris on the bi-weekly water changes, as well as that the additives you mentioned are mostly unnecessary.

For a tank like yours with mainly softies and LPS, I think water changes should be sufficient to supplement your corals and mushrooms.
Old 05/12/2005, 10:38 AM
Registered Member

I had planned on doing weekly to bi-weekly water changes since the tank is so small. I'm using Kent salt and RODI water from the LFS. Does water changes with the Kent salt add most every thing else? Also one more quick question, how should I schedule my liquid food feedings(zooplex and isoplex) with my fish food? Thank you all for your help, this site is great!
Old 05/12/2005, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

yes the freshly mixed salt for water changes weekly/bi-weekly will replenish all that is needed. use additives when you test for them and your system has a higher demand for them.
Old 05/12/2005, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

So I should stick with calcium, alk, and pH. How do you feel about Kent liquid rector, and Kent pro buffer dkh? I get that if the calcium is fine dont add any calcium, easy enough. What about the buffers though. My pH is at 8.2, not sure what alk is yet(gotta get a test for that), being that pH is okay do I still need to add the buffer to maintain it. It is a fairly new tank and I thought the Aragalive sand would buffer the water. What should I do about this?
Old 05/12/2005, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

Your tank is not a high calcium demanding tank, therefore I wouldn't worry about adding it.

Just maintain your salinity, pH, and you should be fine with just water changes to supplement your calcium. Alk is not a big deal either, unless you plan to keep SPS.
Old 05/12/2005, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

I think I've got it. Alk is related to pH, and when my pH is good my alk is probbaly fine, so dont worry about it, right. Don't add anything I cant test for and if it aint broke dont mess with it. I guess untill the circumstance comes that my Ph falls I wont need any buffers. I'm just trying to give my little corals all that they will need and to duplicate natural seawater as much as I can. If the Kent salt adds all my trace elements, iodine, calc, etc. Im just fine with that. So if every thing is fine, which it is, then no since in wasting money or risk killing everything in the tank. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 05/12/2005, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

I wouldn't say that when Alk is high, your pH is high. Alk buffers pH, basically imagine it like a shield to your pH, the higher the Alk, the more of a shield is around your pH. Once your alk is too low, the shield is down and the "acids" can now attack your pH. Some people though can have high Alk, but a low pH. And vice-versa.

But in your case, just maintain pH and you should be fine since you're not trying to maintain your Alk. High Alk is mainly for SPS.
Old 05/12/2005, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

What should I use to maintain the pH then?
Old 05/12/2005, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

I use kent superbuffer dkh.

Here are some good articles;

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=102605