Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks

Old 01/07/2008, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

Humu Humu

How often should I be feeding my Humu Humu? Right now I feed him twice a day using mysis shrimp. However, anytime I am near him he begs and begs like he is starving and I end up giving into him with a lil snack. Also, what else can I feed him. Anything I can hand feed him? Thanks, -Thakr21
Old 01/07/2008, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

How big is he?I feed mine shrimp and new life spectrum pellets and nori about 3 time a day but I only feed one of the above at each feeding except nori he gets that twice a day.Hope that helps, Chris
Old 01/07/2008, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

Here is a link to a post that should answer all of your questions. How big is the trigger?

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=785228
Old 01/07/2008, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

Once a Day
Old 01/07/2008, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

He is about 2 inches.
Old 01/07/2008, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

i would also say nori, mine devours it ,in the wild they would eat the stomach contents of crustaceans and molluscs so they need some green food
Old 01/08/2008, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

Buy some clams at the grocery store, pop it open and give him one! Freeze the rest for later use...I would only give him one clam a week though...this will make him nice and fat!
Old 01/08/2008, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

Not feeding a bagging fish is something that took me a while to learn also. I have a porc puffer, and you would think he has never ate by the way he acts.
The trigger only needs to be fed at most twice a day.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:24 PM
Team RC Member

my triggers never stop begging, no matter how much they eat.

I think the reason some small triggers don't make it is that they are not fed often enough, so frequent feeding of a small one is good. does yours look nice and fat?

you may want to feed something more substantial than mysis because he is growing. mysis doesn't fill up my juvenile niger trigger or rabbitfish any more (both about 2.5-3") so I feed mysis daily, but also feed small chunks of frozen shrimp or scallops, as well as pieces of different Ocean Nutrition gel cubes, and Spectrum pellets.

IMO juvenile fish are growing and do need to be fed daily, up to 2x per day. they are not like adults, which can often get by every other day or couple days if necessary (which I never do with mine, they get fed AT LEAST once daily, usually twice.) even three small feedings are okay, IMO. I don't do this because I work during the day.

do understand that you will never feed a trigger or a puffer to satiety. they will always beg for more, so whether you feed 1x a day or more, don't overfeed. have you ever seen the puffers in many public aquaria? they look like softballs or soccer balls with fins. the triggers seem to stay a little trimmer, but you still don't want to overfeed.

Last edited by LisaD; 01/09/2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01/10/2008, 02:54 AM
Registered Member

live goldfish, once every two days???
Old 01/10/2008, 10:05 AM
Team RC Member

goldfish are a really poor food choice for saltwater predators. I'd recommend NOT feeding goldfish.

there is a lot of information on reputable saltwater hobby sites about this. just doing a quick search, I found the following:

article:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/goldfshfd.htm

to add to that reference, here are a string of FAQs from wetwebmedia regarding the feeding of goldfish to marine predator fish:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/feedrfaqs.htm

There is a lot of information available on other sites as well (including this one). I am referring to WWM because I knew where to find this info.
Old 01/11/2008, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

I second that motion. Stay away from goldfish and molly's.