Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 01/10/2008, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

Got mine here

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/htdocs/FLOW/qsFlowTOC.cfm

Ebay has them too.

Well that pump should be fine for feeding it. It just sounds to me like you are not getting enough air into the skimmer, thus there is more water in there. Did you mod the venturi on both of them recirc pumps?

Its odd that the water level varies so much. Either the feed pump is having troubles and is not consistant, or you aren't getting a consistant amt of air into the skimmer.

Any pics?
Old 01/10/2008, 07:09 PM
Broke Reefer

Which dwyer did you get? I have pics here
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...&pagenumber=24

I dont have any of it running and can take some in the morning. The feed pump is fine as this setup has been running for 6 months prior to modding it.
Old 01/10/2008, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

I have the RMA-23
http://www.dwyer-inst.com/htdocs/flow/SeriesRMPrice.cfm
But its in L/m. Get one thats scfh.

I think you just need to fine tune it so that the air/water mix is better, but its tough not being able to see whats going on.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:08 PM
Broke Reefer

I think Im going to go down to 2 layers of enkamat per pump. This still gives me a total of 4 for the skimmer. Ive seen on this post and others that the recommended is 3 layers of enkamat for the 150. So I think the extra 2 layers is causing to skimmer to over flow. Ill keep you posted.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by teog
I think Im going to go down to 2 layers of enkamat per pump. This still gives me a total of 4 for the skimmer. Ive seen on this post and others that the recommended is 3 layers of enkamat for the 150. So I think the extra 2 layers is causing to skimmer to over flow. Ill keep you posted.
Are you feeding with garlic?? Garlic always messes with my skimmer and makes it overflow.

Click on my red house to see my 90g RR tank :) Tons of pictures, tons... Click!!!
Old 01/10/2008, 10:04 PM
Brevard Area Reef Society

well mine is the 200 and when I got up to 30 scfm I had to take my gate valve off and cut the stock riser tube to make the water level lower in the skimmer. The volume of air inside increased to much with the mods
Old 01/11/2008, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

teog i responded to your pics in the other thread. Mr Bojangles is right, you are getting too much air into the skimmer. Either raise the neck, lower the exit, or limit the air into the skimmer with valves.
Old 01/11/2008, 01:39 PM
DIY Junkie

I would say remove a layer of mesh on each pump before you try restricting the air intake...both will serve the same purpose, less air...but in removing a layer of mesh you will be moving less water (a good thing) and using less watts (another good thing ).
Old 01/12/2008, 02:30 AM
Registered Member

My killawatt is acting up, i get readings of 190v instead of 120. Also it sometimes says 44w when there is nothing plugged in. Is there a reset on this thing or something??

Click on my red house to see my 90g RR tank :) Tons of pictures, tons... Click!!!