Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 12/24/2007, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

Sorry but i dont get it, where talking about nova extreme pro t5 ho ficture no, not vho ???????
Old 12/24/2007, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Carnavor180
cracks me up first t5 now ho t5 and of corse comming next vho t5, so why change from vho t12 . stupid
besides the output of T5HO with good reflectors is 2-3 times more then VHO at the same wattage..............hmmmmm.............i guess no reason there huh. btw, T5 VHO is just regular T5HO bulbs being overdriven by icecap ballasts.
Old 12/24/2007, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Carnavor180
cracks me up first t5 now ho t5 and of corse comming next vho t5, so why change from vho t12 . stupid
You know, sometimes I think I know everything too but atleast I do some reasearch and have atleast half a clue before I post an uniformed comment that calls a large group of RC members stupid.
Old 12/24/2007, 07:22 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

The ATI Aquablue and the Geisemann Aquablue Plus are about the same lamp, the ATI lamps has a little more output and is slightly less blue.
Old 12/24/2007, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

so grim have you done any test on the fixture yet
Old 12/26/2007, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

thanks Grim for the tip.....i cant wait any more, its the boxing day and the price is to good
Old 12/26/2007, 11:27 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
The ATI Aquablue and the Geisemann Aquablue Plus are about the same lamp, the ATI lamps has a little more output and is slightly less blue.
Grim, can I ask a favor that can help me and a lot of other people out there, especially when reading/catching up this and other T5 threads...

With all the samples of bulb configs and recommentations and trade names changing, can you make a quick list of "names to manufacturers".

I know for me, I have a devil of a time when reading the threads when someone said "aqua blue" or "blue plus" or Special Blue, which manufacturer was what.

Something simple like:

AquaBlue - ATI
Blue Plus -
75/25 - UVL

If there isn't time or too big of a project, then I think as a minimum you would get less questions if for each recomendation you also put the Manufacturer after the bulb name.

Thanks

---> If you're not scared, you're not paying attention <---
Old 12/26/2007, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

Not Grim but maybe this will help and he can elaborate or correct me.

ATI:

Sun Pro
Blue Plus
Actinic
Aquablue
Procolor

Giesemann

Midday
Aquablue (Aquablue Special)
Actinic Plus
Pure Actinic

UVL:

Aqua Sun
Actinic White
Super Actinic
And ... I think they have a newer bulb called 75.25? Believe it's a blue bulb, not sure.

KZ:

Fiji Purple
Coral

Those are the most popular, high quality T5's.
Old 12/26/2007, 01:46 PM

It doesn't matter, the questions will still come, and come, and come, and come

You hit them all DarG the 75/25 is called a Aquablue but it is a little reddish or dare i say Purple.
Old 12/26/2007, 01:47 PM

I am behind in my time, it shant happen again. I was making rather merry yesterday.

I got the top off my tank and will be doing the readings this afternoon. Christmas went and got in the way of my mad scientisting.
Old 12/26/2007, 01:49 PM
Premium Member

See there's part of my point. Aquablue from 3 different manufacturers. So the question then at times which one?

---> If you're not scared, you're not paying attention <---
Old 12/26/2007, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

Tagging along to see what the results of the test are. I just received my TEK fixture with 6 Geisemann bulbs to go on my 75g. I am hoping the extra $ for the TEK to get the individual reflectors and NO fan noise will not be money wasted.

Last edited by Ratpack; 12/26/2007 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12/27/2007, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
I am behind in my time, it shant happen again. I was making rather merry yesterday.

I got the top off my tank and will be doing the readings this afternoon. Christmas went and got in the way of my mad scientisting.
...........of my mad scientisting lol its a good one i think that we are all a little wakosssss lol
Old 12/27/2007, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

cool...cant wait for the results Grim!
Old 12/27/2007, 04:10 PM

Preliminary readings

With the 3 Blues and 3 10K's (Which looks just nasty) got 245 at the sandbed with the unit sitting right on the tank, about 2" above the water with the sensor about 17" under the water.

Changed to replicate lamps I used when I tested the Fauna Marin and ATI sun power, 4 blues, 1 AS Duo 1 AS Special got 224
I suspect the Current lamps have been tweaked or they are using a different OEM since I last measured them. If I had the guess I would say they are the same as the Helios lamps which are OK. Only issue is the longevity of the lamps. I will do some individule PAR readings tonight.

With the same mix of lamps and the fixture raised 3/4" higher the Fauna Marin did 310. ATI Sun Power did 346. A 4x39 watt Tek did 152 with 1 Aquablue, 1 Blue Plus, 1 Actinic and 1 Sun. Aquactinics unit did 194 and the ATI Powermodule was 301.

With the nasty weather I wont be able to snag a Tek fixture to do a head to head comparison. I can tell you the Nova reflectors are nothing special. They are about like what Catalina uses, polished aluminum with a simple bend on each side.

What Nova did do right is the cooling. I know from experimenting with the Tek that cooling the unit with a fan blowing over the top of the fixture that the PAR increased from 152 to 189. The fans do make noise but it is the sound of the air passing through rather than whiny fans which is a good thing.

These aren't going to match the Tek, especially on a taller tank but for a budget they really aren't bad. With the improved reflectors and active cooling they are at least in the same time zone as the Tek now. Of course for about 30 bux you can get an external fan for the Tek Quality seem alright. They are fairly light and the looks are OK. With good lamps I wouldn't think twice about keeping anemones and SPS properly placed in a 75 which is 20" tall. Over a 90 (24" tall) I would be very carefull what I had more than at the top of the rocks.
Old 12/27/2007, 04:17 PM

Oh, with my lighting, the Ultra Solaris with the reflectors stained from salt spray and the lights about an inch and a half higher up I am getting 247 with the lamps in my sig, 2 of the blues and the super actinic are about 5 months old. The others are a couple months old.
Old 12/27/2007, 05:33 PM
Charleston Reefer

Not too bad!
Old 12/27/2007, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

I guess the old "1/3 rd the output, tested and measured" goes flying out the window.

My expectations were:

-I never expected it to match any of the high end units. Didnt think it would match the TEK either with the acrylic shield OFF the TEK.

-The Nova cooling is effective. It was and is in the Nova Extremes and would be in the Pros.

-The Nova Pro would have higher par than the TEK with the same bulbs and BOTH UNITS fitted with their acrylic splash shields AND the TEK running stock WITHOUT external fans to cool the lamps/endcaps.

GRIM ... I still have the one question. With the same lamps in both, Nova Pro 6 bulb vs. TEK 6 bulb. WITH the acrylic shield on both units. Both units warmed up and running for a while. And with the stock TEK meaning NO FAN rigged up to cool the TEKs lamps/endcaps. Does the heat hurt the PAR enough in the non-fan cooled TEK with it's acrylic shield in place that the Nova Pro beats it?
Old 12/27/2007, 06:13 PM
I LIVE IN A PINEAPPLE....

Do you think the 72 in. model will be enough light for clams on a 24 in. deep tank?
GEO 6x18 Calcium Reactor
GEO Kalk Reactor
Aquactinics 2x250 12k Reeflux w/ 216 watts Blue+ T5's
210 lbs. Gulf-Keys-Fiji LR
50 lbs. LS
Old 12/27/2007, 07:28 PM
Premium Member

Grim, did I miss where you told the depth of the tank you were testing on?
Also, do you think the 48" 4x54w Sundial fixture would be enough for a 33L (48x12x12") for LPS, a few easy SPS and Derasa's or should I go with the 6x54w Pro fixture?
Old 12/27/2007, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

right on Grim, thanks for the preliminary results. cant wait for some individual PAR ratings later. keep us posted!
Old 12/27/2007, 07:36 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

ty very much grim! as always

Ever been 158mph on a bike with your wife riding with you? You could tear off the dented pieces of skin with her fingerprints on them.

It's not a bike if it's not over a liter
Old 12/27/2007, 07:45 PM
One Good Friend

Like i said as soon as these guys came out, the reflectors look exactly the same as the catalina solaris and i thought they would work just fine for most corals. I would have to say the 3-1 ratio is definately out the window Dar. Good job Grim.
Old 12/27/2007, 07:47 PM
One Good Friend

Oh, and a great job to Mo for boneing up and making the test possible. Good stuff.
Old 12/28/2007, 01:19 AM
Registered Member

i think that i am going to put this fixture on a 50 which is 36 3/8 x 18 3/8 x 19". STOKED...I am pretty sure I will be able to grow almost anything especially if I am particular about placement. Will i be able to grow clams with this??