Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 11/27/2007, 01:17 AM
Registered Member

Wow! I didn't want to ask a stupid redundant question so I just read this entire thread over the last few hours (I may puke!) and I gotta say that if Grim hasn't lost it by now, especially over the last couple of days...
I have a 210g 80X24X24 with retrofit canopy. I can do 2 8X36" TEK with Ice Caps (16s a lot of juice!) or 8X60" or even another configuration. Is it worth the extra money for full coverage if I want to go full SPS?
Old 11/27/2007, 01:30 AM
Registered Member

I have a 90 gallon with Sps, Lps, and softies. I am thinking of getting a new setup, Will the Aquatinic Constellation 7 x 54 watt T5's work?
Old 11/27/2007, 02:45 AM
Premium Member

Firstly a huge thank you to Grim for all the hard work. I have just got my Tek Light fixture 36"x 6 bulbs and I have to say I am very impressed with the company so far. Awesome packaging on everything and the allen key with screws was a nice touch. Now onto my question, I want to keep SPS, LPS and Zoas and Shrooms. I am currently running a 150w MH and dual 96w p/c Actinics on my 29gallon. I have a new tank which is 36x18x18 and this is the tank for my Teklight. Will this bulb setup be ok for all the above corals?

Front to back:
Giesmann Aquablue
Procolor
UV Superactinic
Aquablue
Superactinic
Aquablue
Old 11/27/2007, 12:46 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by mhaith
Wow! I didn't want to ask a stupid redundant question so I just read this entire thread over the last few hours (I may puke!) and I gotta say that if Grim hasn't lost it by now, especially over the last couple of days...
I have a 210g 80X24X24 with retrofit canopy. I can do 2 8X36" TEK with Ice Caps (16s a lot of juice!) or 8X60" or even another configuration. Is it worth the extra money for full coverage if I want to go full SPS?
Yes, its worth it to do the 2 8x36. I would consider using an Ice Cap ballast to overdrive 4 lamps (2 rows)
Old 11/27/2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jefft321
I have a 90 gallon with Sps, Lps, and softies. I am thinking of getting a new setup, Will the Aquatinic Constellation 7 x 54 watt T5's work?
That will be fine.
Old 11/27/2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by photobret
Firstly a huge thank you to Grim for all the hard work. I have just got my Tek Light fixture 36"x 6 bulbs and I have to say I am very impressed with the company so far. Awesome packaging on everything and the allen key with screws was a nice touch. Now onto my question, I want to keep SPS, LPS and Zoas and Shrooms. I am currently running a 150w MH and dual 96w p/c Actinics on my 29gallon. I have a new tank which is 36x18x18 and this is the tank for my Teklight. Will this bulb setup be ok for all the above corals?

Front to back:
Giesmann Aquablue
Procolor
UV Superactinic
Aquablue
Superactinic
Aquablue

I would swap the rear Super actinic for a Giesemann Actinic Plus. That is Giesemann's blue lamp. The Aquablue is mostly white.
Old 11/27/2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishlibrary
Grim,

Is it a good idea to change my combination as below ?

D-D Actinix Plus -> KZ Fiji Purple
UVL Super Actinic -> remain unchange
UVL AquaSun -> remain unchange
D-D aquaBlue -> KZ Coral Light
It would be worth a try but if you can get ATI lamps use a Aquablue instead of the KZ coral Light, they are the same lamp but the ATI costs less.
Old 11/27/2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishlibrary
Grim,

Is it a good idea to change my combination as below ?

D-D Actinix Plus -> KZ Fiji Purple
UVL Super Actinic -> remain unchange
UVL AquaSun -> remain unchange
D-D aquaBlue -> KZ Coral Light
It would be worth a try but if you can get ATI lamps use a Aquablue instead of the KZ coral Light, they are the same lamp but the ATI costs less.
Old 11/27/2007, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

What's a good 5 light combo for a 180 (72x24x24)? Currently have 1-660 and 1-430 (dawn/dusk). When I first set up the T5's, there weren't many 60" bulbs available. This is what I have now but I'm not too happy with it:

Front
ATI Blue +
6' VHO Super Actinic
GE 6500
AquaBlue
ATI Blue +

I had all vho (50/50 and Super actinic) before the switch. No SPS, mostly LPS, zoas, mushrooms and softies.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Old 11/27/2007, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

I also have a Workhourse 7 that could run the VHO and then I could have 5-T5 and 1 vho. Don't know if its really necessary though.

I still have all of the vho bulbs if you think I may be able to use the super actinics.

Last edited by allykahn; 11/27/2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11/27/2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by allykahn
What's a good 5 light combo for a 180 (72x24x24)? Currently have 1-660 and 1-430 (dawn/dusk). When I first set up the T5's, there weren't many 60" bulbs available. This is what I have now but I'm not too happy with it:

Front
ATI Blue +
6' VHO Super Actinic
GE 6500
AquaBlue
ATI Blue +

I had all vho (50/50 and Super actinic) before the switch. No SPS, mostly LPS, zoas, mushrooms and softies.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Fire the VHO lamp with the workhorse and add another T5 lamp/

Try this

Front
Blue Plus
VHO Actinic
GE 6500K
Aquablue
ATI Pro Color
Blue Plus
Old 11/27/2007, 05:37 PM
Premium Member

Grim... what color is the UVL 75/25? I see you recommend it alot.
Old 11/27/2007, 06:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
Grim this is interesting to me, I run the kz coral light and the fiji purples is there another company carrying the fiji purple under another name? Does the aquablue have the same par as the coralight?. ofcourse right?.
Old 11/27/2007, 07:26 PM
Enjoying every minute.

Hey Grim, any data on the ATI Procolor? (spectrum, par...) Skimmed through a couple pages but didn't happen to see any. I'm sure it's already been asked 100 times. Thanks.
Old 11/27/2007, 07:32 PM
Thinking Too Hard

Grim, do you have a thread that just essentially runs the gammut of good light combos? You should!

ie:
4 bulb T5 Fixtures 36"
Front:
Bulb 1
Bulb 2
Bulb 3
Bulb 4

6 Bulb T5 36"
Front
Bulb 1
Bulb 2
Bulb 3
Bulb 4
Bulb 5
Bulb 6

etc for each length, and then 4, 6, 8 lights etc. Then you don't have to repeat yourself! Because like what another poster said, you must be crazy?

Also what state are you from, I live right next to an Aurora!

Mike
Old 11/27/2007, 07:34 PM
Thinking Too Hard

Whoops forgot to ask...

Would you say that I'd be overdoing it by using a powermodule on a frag tank system doing a wide range of stuff? From softies through sps? Most likely more sps though. 6x39W Will it be harmful?
Old 11/27/2007, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
That will work if you mount the ballast remote to the fixture. You will need to blow a fan accross the fixture but one of the little 4 fan arrays like foster and smith sells would handle it. Just clamp it to the back of the tank. If you overdrove the 4 center lamps I think you would be good for SPS as long as you keep the high lighting one up on the rocks a bit.
well i want to be able to keep sps mostly anywhere. should i just get the 8 bulb its only like $60 more and about $50 more for bulbs and overdrive the 4 middle with ice cap? or just get the 6 bulb and over drive them all with say 2 icecap ballast?
and if i get the 8 bulb whats a good combo?

" it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who your not." :van zant
Old 11/27/2007, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

I am currently running 4 X 110 W UVL (3 Super Actinic/1 AquaSun) on an ice cap 660 ballast. This has treated me well in terms of my beginner SPS's in my 75 gallon. However, T5's are far superior from what I hear and could cut my tank's electrical consumption substantially. I am going to make the switch to T5's. If HO systems are less efficient than NO systems, would an 6 bulb HO setup produce more light than a 4 bulb VHO set up? One more question. I have heard that T-12 VHO actinics are the only bulbs superior to T5's. Assuming this is true, is it possible to run one T-12 actinic with 3 T-5's (I'm thinking 2 BluePluses and 1 AquaSun)on the same ballast? Thanks.
Old 11/27/2007, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

I dont want to read the entire thread so here we go, I was wondering if a icecap 440 will overdrive my 39w t5's? I will be using a 4 bulb retro to suppliment my single hamilton 250w 10k and was considering 2 x b+ and 2x ati act. any input would greatly be appreciated!
Old 11/27/2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jennmac415
Grim... what color is the UVL 75/25? I see you recommend it alot.
Off white, perhaps a touch of purple to it.
Old 11/27/2007, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bogg
Grim this is interesting to me, I run the kz coral light and the fiji purples is there another company carrying the fiji purple under another name? Does the aquablue have the same par as the coralight?. ofcourse right?.
Nobody has the Purple but the Coral Light and Aquablue look the same, the light looks the same one produced like 314 UMOL's of PAR and the other was 315. Both lamps are made by Sylvania.
Old 11/27/2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chirocato
Hey Grim, any data on the ATI Procolor? (spectrum, par...) Skimmed through a couple pages but didn't happen to see any. I'm sure it's already been asked 100 times. Thanks.
It's kinda a light purplish/pink color. Has a lot of deep red in the spectrum, brings out pink and purple colors really well. Doesn't have much in the way of PAR, less than the blue plus which isn't bad.
Old 11/27/2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeD
Grim, do you have a thread that just essentially runs the gammut of good light combos? You should!

ie:
4 bulb T5 Fixtures 36"
Front:
Bulb 1
Bulb 2
Bulb 3
Bulb 4

6 Bulb T5 36"
Front
Bulb 1
Bulb 2
Bulb 3
Bulb 4
Bulb 5
Bulb 6

etc for each length, and then 4, 6, 8 lights etc. Then you don't have to repeat yourself! Because like what another poster said, you must be crazy?

Also what state are you from, I live right next to an Aurora!

Mike
I'm in colorado. Working with someone on a list of lamp combos although I don'tthink it will make a huge difference.
Old 11/27/2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by yamaha racer
well i want to be able to keep sps mostly anywhere. should i just get the 8 bulb its only like $60 more and about $50 more for bulbs and overdrive the 4 middle with ice cap? or just get the 6 bulb and over drive them all with say 2 icecap ballast?
and if i get the 8 bulb whats a good combo?
I would do the 8 with 4 OD. I would overdrive the 4 middle lamps.

Front
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
GE 6500K
Blue Plus
ATI Pro Color
Aquablue
Super Actinic
Blue Plus
Old 11/27/2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by reeformadness
I am currently running 4 X 110 W UVL (3 Super Actinic/1 AquaSun) on an ice cap 660 ballast. This has treated me well in terms of my beginner SPS's in my 75 gallon. However, T5's are far superior from what I hear and could cut my tank's electrical consumption substantially. I am going to make the switch to T5's. If HO systems are less efficient than NO systems, would an 6 bulb HO setup produce more light than a 4 bulb VHO set up? One more question. I have heard that T-12 VHO actinics are the only bulbs superior to T5's. Assuming this is true, is it possible to run one T-12 actinic with 3 T-5's (I'm thinking 2 BluePluses and 1 AquaSun)on the same ballast? Thanks.
Yeah, you can run the VHO with 3 T5's on the 660. Just like you layed it out would be how I would run it.