Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 08/27/2007, 07:16 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by sslak
Congrats on yet another split!

Do I hear rumors of nanogurl and a 125+ tank? Is this going to be in addition to the 75g or are you upgrading?

Other than a new home for Ocean...any other ideas swimming in your head about what you're going to put in the new tank?

I'll be the first to request an in-tank mermaid shot when you leak test the new tank
Thanks!

lol... i will do a mermaid shot. I almost did one in my 75 to be funny. Grrr I should have.

Yea, the plan was always to get a 125 or bigger, that's why I got Ocean. We didn't want to move a big huge tank, so we just got the 75 to combine tanks for now until we move. Then we decided to try Ocean now to see if we could keep one alive before we got a huge tank since everyone kept saying PBT's won't last long due to ich and such.

We are debating between a 125, 180 or 240. We just bought a house... so I don't think the 240 is going to happen right now. We were thinking about starting with the 125, then upgrading to the 240 and using the 125 for a sump for the 240 so we wouldn't waste buying the tank. Money is really tight right now so I'm not sure what course we are going to take yet.

As for the tank, the 125 would be setup to maximize swimming space for Ocean and my zebra eel. I think we will probably add a school of Anthias (sp?) and that's it. Our 75 is overcrowded as it is.. so I think we are pretty much maxed out. I wanted another free swimming fish to complement Ocean. Right now, we don't have one and we did that on purpose. No stress for him, he gets all the open water. In the 125 we want to keep it that way, but add a little bit of color.

I also want to get rid of some of the corals I have now and get some other stuff... more zoas and some acans. I was going to put them in my nano but I don't think our flow is high enough for that anymore.
Old 08/27/2007, 07:19 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by bower23
Here is an idea... It would save you on lighting and space. You want a sump in your basement and a frag tank.. correct? How about making this all one tank. Either a rubbermaid tub or try and find a used 6 foot tank. Go to a glass place and have them cut dividers for you. Have the drain go into a section with MH lights and egg crate for the frags. Then the next set of sections would be just like a normal sump. The MH lights would give enough lighting in the other sections for any algae you want to grow. This way you get the benefits of a larger water volume but without having to buy extra heaters, skimmer, and pumps. Or I'm sure Marc will custom make you one out of acrylic.
Thanks! I was originally thinking of doing something similar to that.. maybe like a 125 for the "sump" and divide everything into sections like you said.. and maybe that's the way I should go... I just thought a seperate tank would look cooler and be easier to access... but maybe it would be too complicated. Idk.. good idea though thanks.
Old 08/27/2007, 07:21 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by virginiadiver69
Does your zebra eel give you ant problems with your clowns or shrimp?
None. Zebra eels are not fish eaters, so that risk is very low. My fire shrimp is a cleaner shrimp and is always cleaning and riding my zebra around... so I think that relationship is good. I have seen him sift through the sand for crabs and inverts at times.. but most of my snails and crabs are there and fine. I keep him well fed though.
Old 08/27/2007, 07:22 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by muelpaul
Wow, gone for a few days and BAM , another split...Congrats NanoGurl

Your fish and corals all look healthy and happy, very good recovery job with the FW and Black ich problems.

Can't wait to see what's next
Thanks MP!!! =) Welcome back!
Old 08/27/2007, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

how do u post pics from ur camra file like where u upload all of ur pics
Old 08/27/2007, 09:20 PM
Girls Rule!

What?
Old 08/27/2007, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

like when u upload ur pictures from ur camara where u can edit them and do other things how to u post pics from there
Old 08/27/2007, 09:31 PM
Girls Rule!

I'm not sure I understand, but after I take a photo I download it onto my computer where I change the size and rename it. Then I upload it to a hosting place.. like photobucket.com it's free if you don't have hosting. Then once it's there you just use the [img.] links.
Old 08/27/2007, 09:39 PM
TRC Leader

Nanogurl, you're just getting too old to understand the textual lingo some young-uns employ.

& u r NOT aloan.
Old 08/27/2007, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

ok thank you
Old 08/27/2007, 10:37 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Nanogurl, you're just getting too old to understand the textual lingo some young-uns employ.

& u r NOT aloan.
lol... no i totally got IDK my BFF Jill. This was harder!
Old 08/27/2007, 10:46 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by TD13
ok thank you
you're welcome
Old 08/28/2007, 06:43 AM
Registered Member

check out my thread its 90g reef thread
Old 08/28/2007, 07:32 AM
Girls Rule!

What's the linky?
Old 08/28/2007, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

My goal as well is to get a 125 gallon tank when I am finally able to buy a house. (I think I'm going to meet with my bank this week to explore the possibility... )

Anyway, I always thought a 125 was perfect. It's huge, big enough for pretty much any fish you want to get. And with 6 feet of tank you can make a REALLY beautiful reefscape. That also gives the fish plenty of swimming room. Additionally it's not so deep that you need lights built by NASA to keep your corals alive.
Old 08/28/2007, 03:48 PM
TRC Leader

It is possible to buy the bigger tank since the glass itself isn't the biggest expense after all. It's all the other stuff that adds up.

However, if your budget allows for you to purchase the tank, sand, salt, and flow, you could set it up simply at first and transfer the livestock. It would look pretty sparse at first, but the larger water volume will keep everything stable. Then as you have the funds, you can add more LR, more lighting, a nice sump, etc. What I'm suggesting is putting all the livestock at one end of the tank under a single light fixture. Ocean and Oreo could swim long distances into the shadows, so to speak, and come back home. Just like in nature. Sorta.
Old 08/28/2007, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

....keep on swimming...keep on swimming...
Old 08/28/2007, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

You almost have me talked into buying a 6 foot tank! Is there any way to only use two MH on a six foot tank? This could also save her money.....
Old 08/28/2007, 07:55 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
You almost have me talked into buying a 6 foot tank! Is there any way to only use two MH on a six foot tank? This could also save her money.....
how about one 400w in the center with a few t5s on each side?
Old 08/28/2007, 08:02 PM
Brighter the better

im going to be using 3 175watt on my 125. i cant tell you about growth, i dont have it ready for salt yet. i will start the center one first for a hour then turn on the outside 2 then go in reverse.
Old 08/28/2007, 09:13 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by sslak
Additionally it's not so deep that you need lights built by NASA to keep your corals alive.
LoL! Goodluck with your house!! =)
Old 08/28/2007, 09:16 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
It is possible to buy the bigger tank since the glass itself isn't the biggest expense after all. It's all the other stuff that adds up.

However, if your budget allows for you to purchase the tank, sand, salt, and flow, you could set it up simply at first and transfer the livestock. It would look pretty sparse at first, but the larger water volume will keep everything stable. Then as you have the funds, you can add more LR, more lighting, a nice sump, etc. What I'm suggesting is putting all the livestock at one end of the tank under a single light fixture. Ocean and Oreo could swim long distances into the shadows, so to speak, and come back home. Just like in nature. Sorta.
Okay! Can you loan me $2500 puh leeeeze =)
Old 08/28/2007, 09:19 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
The 240 is 8' long. I can do the 125 I just need one more MH.

It's not really that I can't do the bigger tank... it's really a matter of choices. It's going to cost us about $15,000 to put in hardwood floors ourselves, opposed to a lot more to have the builder do it.

So really I have to choose. Hardwood floors, or 240 with extras =)
Old 08/28/2007, 09:20 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
how about one 400w in the center with a few t5s on each side?
Are you asking me?

I like the Phoenix 14k bulbs and the ripple effects with MH.
Old 08/28/2007, 09:21 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by customcolor
im going to be using 3 175watt on my 125. i cant tell you about growth, i dont have it ready for salt yet. i will start the center one first for a hour then turn on the outside 2 then go in reverse.
Why wouldn't you start on like the left... the middle.. then right... then turn them off in the same order?