Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 07/04/2007, 12:18 AM
Premium Member

The website that I have been checking out says that the wholesalers in Canada have some 500 colonies and they are asking $100 for each colony.
Old 07/04/2007, 06:55 AM
Registered Member

Whats that website link? I'd snag every aussie colony they have for $100 a colony.

PEACE.....from Zeppelin

300 gallon Tenacor Acrylic Peninsula tank
Old 07/04/2007, 07:48 AM
Registered Member

Here's a thought about pricing. I've heard that the summer months are the "off season" for reefing and fish. I've noticed over the past 4 years that prices drop in my LFS's around the summer time. That being said, I don't know how accurate we can monitor the price drop solely due to the growing supply. Just my .02.
Old 07/04/2007, 08:41 AM
Premium Member

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/fo...play.php?f=103

Actually the one claims to be getting 400 colonies the other said 200 colonies.

I doubt if they are willing to see every colony to one single source as they seem to spread them out pretty good. Also I am sure others have purchased from him before and are just waiting for these to ship.
Old 07/04/2007, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

This is really weird!

Every CONSUMER and uninterested party says that prices have dropped substantially.

Every person who owns a lfs or actively sells them says that prices havent dropped at all

Could some people just be trying to protect their SUBSTANTIAL investments???

Maybe, its just me, but i think its REALLY shady to spend time on here talking up a coral and its price when people don't know that you also sell those corals.
Old 07/04/2007, 09:40 AM
kArBoN aDdIkT

Quote:
Originally posted by sufunk
This is really weird!

Every CONSUMER and uninterested party says that prices have dropped substantially.

Every person who owns a lfs or actively sells them says that prices havent dropped at all

Could some people just be trying to protect their SUBSTANTIAL investments???

Maybe, its just me, but i think its REALLY shady to spend time on here talking up a coral and its price when people don't know that you also sell those corals.
How would a retail customer know what a retailer is paying for a particular piece? You keep insinuating that retailers are driving the price up, but that fact is, most retailers are taking the same percentage markup on the acanthastrea that they are on other corals. It is at the supply level, where the prices are being gouged, FYI retailers can't find a grade A acan colony from australia for less than anywhere near $150.. Especially on the East coast..

Last edited by tangwang; 07/04/2007 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07/04/2007, 09:57 AM
Premium Member

did you read the posts on the ap site? the first shipment from RR had the prices in the $250-450 range, this next shipment is $100.
Old 07/04/2007, 10:01 AM
Premium Member

I have been seeing an average of 100% mark up which is very common at any level in the coral market. I am hoping that the mark up stays the same vs. seeing people try to take advantage of the lower priced corals they will be receiving.
Old 07/04/2007, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

How would a retail customer know what a retailer is paying?? hmmmm, let me see, i dont know, maybe PRICE!

If a retailer was charging $150 a head and now is 3 heads for $150, obviously prices dropped. That is unless you want to tell me that i was correct before and EVERY one of the aussie acan sites were RIPPING people off beyond belief by charging what they were a month or so ago. If they weren't, then prices dropped substantially.

Say what you want but there IS no chance that you are putting the same markup on aussie acans as any other coral you buy. That is not true. Not a single one of you paid anywhere near the $150-250 a head price that are being charged. Not even close. Aussie acans are making people bigger profits than they have ever seen. To say the markup is the same as a torch, frogspawn or any other coral is ridiculous.

I dont get it, you say at least $150 for a grade a colony on the east coast? How is that expensive? You get it for $150-200 then sell it for $50-100 a HEAD and make more profit than you can imagine, right?
Old 07/04/2007, 10:42 AM
kArBoN aDdIkT

If they were charging $150 per head, then yes, they were ripping people off Even 3 heads for 150 is a rip-off, I don't disagree with you there And there are those of us that do take the same markup on acans as we do on other corals
Old 07/04/2007, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

They weren't charging $150 a head, it was $250 a head for some!

Not only that, when i complained about it, almost every person to a man said that the guy doing it was not ripping people off and a GREAT guy to boot
Old 07/04/2007, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

If you look at the rare corals page of that site, you can see their pricing. There are some small frags, and 5-8 polyps looks to be considered a colony on their site, and yes, they are running from $75 to $200, some at $100. I just dont consider 5-8 polyps a colony.

I also have to agree that $150 a polyp was kinda steep, even a month ago. But that was supply and demand. If there were customers that were paying that much, they cant blame anyone but themselves if they feel they were taken advantage of. The aussie acans were around a month ago at numerous vendors for less than that.

I am just glad that they are becoming available at all, at least for now. Thanks to the Australian Gov't. for making it possible for us to enjoy many types and morphs of corals not previously available to the reefing community. You have some beautiful sealife there in the 'down under'.

PEACE.....from Zeppelin

300 gallon Tenacor Acrylic Peninsula tank
Old 07/04/2007, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tangwang
How would a retail customer know what a retailer is paying for a particular piece? You keep insinuating that retailers are driving the price up, but that fact is, most retailers are taking the same percentage markup on the acanthastrea that they are on other corals. It is at the supply level, where the prices are being gouged, FYI retailers can't find a grade A acan colony from australia for less than anywhere near $150.. Especially on the East coast..
The $150 price is if you are being picky or buying a few small colonies. Stores like RR that buy hundreds of colonies pay nowhere that amount. I have seen two different price list for wholesalers with the Aussie Lords and can tell you that the price is much lower then you would expect.
Old 07/04/2007, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

well everyone loves canada thats why we getting great deals i guess...

i guess i'll have to buy everything out and sell it and triple the profits...lol i am joking by the way

i was told i could get a good sized colony from my man at $150 CAD which is pretty damn good i think still...
Old 07/04/2007, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

i'm guessing the 100 dollar acans will not be as nice. If you look at the pics john posted they were under 40w white lights. Will the 400 colonies even survive until they are shipped here? If 200 come we will be lucky. RR usually gets 60-75% of their shipments and 99% of them are grade A, however they are also getting from a different supplier which they are selling at $100 a colony. They look nice, better then indo but nowhere near grade A.

Another toronto area reef shop is supposed to have more colonies in the next couple of weeks. I guess we're lucky around here that 3 stores are regularly importing 100s, they still sell really fast, in part to all the people from the US that buy here.
Old 07/04/2007, 08:19 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zeppelin
If you look at the rare corals page of that site, you can see their pricing. There are some small frags, and 5-8 polyps looks to be considered a colony on their site, and yes, they are running from $75 to $200, some at $100. I just dont consider 5-8 polyps a colony.

I also have to agree that $150 a polyp was kinda steep, even a month ago. But that was supply and demand. If there were customers that were paying that much, they cant blame anyone but themselves if they feel they were taken advantage of. The aussie acans were around a month ago at numerous vendors for less than that.

I am just glad that they are becoming available at all, at least for now. Thanks to the Australian Gov't. for making it possible for us to enjoy many types and morphs of corals not previously available to the reefing community. You have some beautiful sealife there in the 'down under'.
He mentioned that he has not recieved the shipment from the "new" supplier where the prices are reduces yet. I am guessing that when he does it could really be a whole new pricing sceme if they are as colorful as the ones from his origional supplier.
Old 07/04/2007, 10:15 PM
kArBoN aDdIkT

Quote:
Originally posted by neyugn0w01
The $150 price is if you are being picky or buying a few small colonies. Stores like RR that buy hundreds of colonies pay nowhere that amount. I have seen two different price list for wholesalers with the Aussie Lords and can tell you that the price is much lower then you would expect.
Thats like comparing wal-mart to a mom and pop shop
Old 07/04/2007, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

Good, i'm glad we cleared that up and now everyone finally admits that Clint and others were completely SCREWING everyone of their customers last month with what they were charging.

They never paid remotely close to $150-250 a head and were completely gouging people taking advantage of a "hot item". Luckily for them, some people are so desperate to have the latest toy that they not only paid those prices but raved about the people gouging them. I can only laugh at what the people who were happy to pay $250 a head last month are thinking now.

I dont care about supply and demand. When you are charging you customers 20x or more what you paid for something, you are trash and shouldn't be in business.
Old 07/04/2007, 11:29 PM
Premium Member

sufunk,

please respect others who sell the corals and who buy them, personal attacks do no one any good. This thread is simply getting others opinions on what they think will happen when the new acan's start coming into the country; not the ones that where shipped in the last batch, those where not as cheap.

Yes some of it was marketing the initial batch of Aussie Acans but the personal attacks are not needed. We the consumer do not set the price on corals we simply decide if we will pay what a certain vendor is asking for them.

Thanks,
Chad
Old 07/05/2007, 11:05 AM
Hey sweetheart ;)

Someone should take away your posting privaleges for posting nonsense like this, specially when you are directing it at one specific person like you did below.

If a seller posts an [U]accurate[U] picture of an item for sale, accompanied with a price, and a buyer agrees to buy the item how did the buyer get ripped off??? Now if the picture was not accurate (false advertising) then I agree you and you make a legitamit point.

For everyone else, having personally seen essentially every Australian acan that has come through Toronto in the last 3-4 months I am confident these less expensive acans will be much smaller, and not of the same quality (colour) as the others. There are also many Aussie suppliers, and several of our locals stores have gotten in shipments, most are not from the same source. There are differenet grades of corals, and different sizes. These acans will never be cheap compared to non-aussie acans...

Quote:
Originally posted by sufunk
Good, i'm glad we cleared that up and now everyone finally admits that Clint and others were completely SCREWING everyone of their customers last month with what they were charging.

They never paid remotely close to $150-250 a head and were completely gouging people taking advantage of a "hot item". Luckily for them, some people are so desperate to have the latest toy that they not only paid those prices but raved about the people gouging them. I can only laugh at what the people who were happy to pay $250 a head last month are thinking now.

I dont care about supply and demand. When you are charging you customers 20x or more what you paid for something, you are trash and shouldn't be in business.
2 Ampmaster 3000's (R&CL)
MTC HSA 1000 Skimmer on a PCX 100
MTC Procal Calcium Reactor

SPS dominated reef
Old 07/05/2007, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

It's sad to see our hobby turning into everyone trying to see how much $ they can make off of their tank rather than how much enjoyment they can get from its beauty

Last edited by sufunk; 07/05/2007 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07/05/2007, 12:48 PM
Premium Member

Welcome to capitalism. I know it is a new thought for some (read as extreme sarcasm). There are a number of things wrong with the world. Knowing you know it all and calling people out to make yourself feel better only adds to that which is wrong with the world (to me, one of the largest problems with society is the I'm right, you're wrong, now let me tell you why attitude...). It's one thing to make a statement. It's a completely different thing to ride the dead horse. I guess some need to try to make others feel bad about themselves to make themselves feel good and all warm and fuzzy inside... It's like gambling. Those who are most against it will never gamble anyway. Why worry about what others are doing. Do the higher acan prices effect your life? Are you going to make statements about the cost of certain zoas, sps, and other LPS (many of which have been on the market for years at high prices)? Do you see this as a new problem? If so, you're not paying much attention to that which you are complaining... It is sad that so many have decided it is easy to make a quick buck in this hobby, but what can we do about it? I've seen a number of people come into the hobby ni the last two or three years, start a business within the first three or six months, then go out of business shortly therafter. While it is bad for the hobby, they do weed themselves out. BTW, the first person you specifically attacked in this thread (and have attacked before since it seems to make you feel all warm and fuzzy) was selling Aussie Acans for ~$25 a polyp or less on average. Not sure how greystreet's name gets dragged out into commerical circles on the gripe that people are selling for $150 a polyp (once again, if you knew what you were complaining about before you start complaining, maybe things would look differently on you). Inconsistency in your argument doesn't bode well for your purpose in the argument. Good luck with that internal peace you've been searching for. Looking inward will usually find it faster than lashing out just because you can...
Old 07/05/2007, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, you're right. There is nothing we can do about something that we all know is wrong so lets all stick our head in the sand and act like it isnt happening.

I'm not in this for money. I dont buy corals because i can flip them for a profit. I buy them because they make my tank nice and will for years to come.

It seemed almost everyone was in it for that same reason but those numbers seem to be dwindling.

And yes, sorry, i think it is shady for someone to say "no aussie acans prices aren't falling at all and by the way check out my trying to sell an aussie acan thread while your at it"
Old 07/05/2007, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

no wonder you wanna argue and go on and on you're a lawyer....just stop it..who cares its over dude...we got your point end of story, now you're gonna write another 19 posts about how people are getting ripped off. who cares are you buying them? if so you're just as bad as everyone else. i am proud of you that you don't do this for the money everyone give him a round of applause..

i am done

sorry everyone
Old 07/05/2007, 03:44 PM
Registered Member.

For a lawyer you sure complain a lot about the prices.