Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 03/31/2007, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

As long as you post a dozen pictures of the skimmer as soon as it arrives I promise that I wont ask for anything more
Old 04/10/2007, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

WOW...I can't wait for this to get going.

Zoos, I can guess at how much it will cost...ONE BILLION DOLLARS!
Old 04/10/2007, 04:46 PM
Premium Member

Little update on aquarium matters

Just had a meeting today with the contractors who are building the area which the tank will be placed in as well as a structural engineer about a few issues we need to think about such as how we are going to get the 1.4 ton tank onto the second floor, the gutter for all the pipes and wires, how we need the wall opening to be sawed and the design of the aquarium stand which the structural guy is going to draw so my welder can get busy
Old 04/10/2007, 04:49 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnar
Little update on aquarium matters

Just had a meeting today with the contractors who are building the area which the tank will be placed in as well as a structural engineer about a few issues we need to think about such as how we are going to get the 1.4 ton tank onto the second floor, the gutter for all the pipes and wires, how we need the wall opening to be sawed and the design of the aquarium stand which the structural guy is going to draw so my welder can get busy

1.4tons without water?
Old 04/10/2007, 04:53 PM
Premium Member

Yep.. just the glass is 1.4 metric tons - 1400 kilos.

With water and such it's going to be around 8 tons.
Old 04/10/2007, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

Good luck on the install. I know on my tank I had to get a crane to lift it over house. Then we had to put it on some of those warehouse type dollies and roll it in. Boy was that a chore.

Definitely have a plan on the installation.
Old 04/12/2007, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

Im subscribed, good luck and have fun.
Old 04/12/2007, 11:26 PM
Premium Member

wow just wow. but why is everyone so excited about the skimmer?
Old 04/13/2007, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

Staying tuned for updated :drool:!
Old 04/13/2007, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

tagging along for sure..

i have to live vicariously though others as i cant even afford the ballast you would need for the lights let alone any of the other equipment...this will by far be one of the most envy evoking builds in a long time...

right up there with the crazy wooden horseshoe tank.
Old 04/13/2007, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

This is AWESOME!!! Can you take a pix of yourself standing next to the giant skimmer?
Old 04/13/2007, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnar
With water and such it's going to be around 8 tons.
Old 04/14/2007, 01:01 AM
Registered Member

8 tons wow thats heavy
Old 04/17/2007, 06:32 AM
no time for spell check!

you may want to pm energy and talk with him about his system while you are building this system. his tank is almost the same size. the difference in size is your will be 6 inches wider and 2.4 inches taller. there almost identical. there is alot of issues that come with building big tanks like. fore sight can be a god send to have. when you consider the massive bio load alone this tank will have in it you may re think alot of the design.

these are areas that you may or may not end up having issues with in the future.

what kind of corals will be housed in the tank?

how many fish and what size will they be?

what feeding regement will be used and how often?

how will you deal with the detritus buildup in the sand?

how is the rock work going to be setup?

what is your plans for heating and cooling?

calcium, alkalinity and magesium dosing?

there are many other issues that will need to be looked at while this system comes to life.
the onw big thing you have to look forward to is the increased stability of the system. you will have over 2500 gallons of water when all is said and done. this will make for a very stable inviorment for the inhabitants in the tank. this will be a beautiful system when its finnished.
Old 04/17/2007, 09:16 AM
Premium Member

Arnar, you have a great project going... If you are going to keep SPS in your system. I think you will need about 2-3 times the amount of flow, you are projecting. I have a 500 SPS system with about the same flow you are planning for a 2,000 gal system. I use a Hammerhead CL around 5,000. Iwaki's 100 (1) for chiller return. Iwaki's 70 (4) on sea swirls. And (4) Tunze 6200 on controller.. Works out around 23,000 gal per hour with only (2) 6200 on at a time. And no head lose figured in. As my corals have matured. The need for more flow has increased. I don't know what your power costs are, but i run around 400.00 a month just for electricity... Can't wait for updates.

Happy Reefing
Old 04/18/2007, 12:43 AM
Registered Member

how thick will the glass be; are u going to use starphire??

good luck with it
Old 04/18/2007, 11:46 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for your comments !

I have been trying to design this so we can easily add to the equipment so if we need more flow I will buy more Tunzes etc.

We have not decided yet on how many or what type of fish we want and so the feeding regiment will probably be adjusted according to what we will be putting in there.

There will be all sorts of corals in there but we will probably not start with a filled tank but rather gradually add more as the tank matures.

I'm going to use a thin layer of sand just for aesthetic purposes and most likely just replace sand in patches when time comes.

I want to use a kind of jing jang style with the rock formations. Equally amount of negative space and positive (sand vs rock). I'm going to see how I will do with cable ties, plastic rods etc

Heating will most likely not be a problem but the cooling might. The plan is to use a vent to blow out air above the tank to reduce humidity as well as heat from the 4000w lights.

For calcium we are going for the Deltec reactor and kalkwasser stirrer. I have yet to look into further dosing of other chemicals with such a big tank. I'm going to run a Carbon and Rowaphos reactors as well.

The thickness of glass is 19mm and 25mm for the bottom (laminated).
Old 04/18/2007, 12:46 PM
clownfish fan

tunze 6300 would be put to good work.
Old 04/20/2007, 03:51 PM
Premium Member

The lights finally came with the mail today !

And not a single bulb broken

In other news we had to take down the old tank we had at the old offices since the owner of the house was going to rent it out again.

I built a 140 gallon tank and put it into the CEO office. I plan to hook it to the circulation of the big tank when it gets here and use it for a frag tank.

Here are few pictures of the transport/demolition:

Getting ready to start the shipping of liverock to the new temp tank.

The corals and fishes will live here for a few weeks until we get the big tank running.

Fishes and corals are in. The lights are installed now but I don't have a pic just now.

Demolition phase

Some of the older equipment. We will get similar stuff for the new tank but lot bigger

Maybe not that interesting pictures but I just wanted to show you something related to the project
Old 04/20/2007, 10:24 PM
clownfish fan

awsome
Old 04/20/2007, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

WOW!!

Will you have to hire someone just to keep the tank operational??

Arnar, I hope you don't mind if I post a picture on your thread. Since several had expressed interest in big skimmers, I though I'd share a photo of 3 big skimmers for one big shark tank (around 500,000 gallons I believe). This is in Jenks, Oklahoma (USA) at the Oklahoma Aquarium. I'm estimating the skimmers to be about 15 ft tall. The middle one is for Ozone.

I'm Sooner born and Sooner bred and when I die i'll be Sooner dead! Boomer! Sooner!
Old 04/20/2007, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

By the way all of these skimmers were designed and built by the staff at OK Aquariums.

I'm Sooner born and Sooner bred and when I die i'll be Sooner dead! Boomer! Sooner!
Old 04/21/2007, 01:47 AM
Registered Member

holy moly

all them boxes and they are just the lights

what model of deltec skimmer is that one in the pic??

this is gunna be huge
Old 04/21/2007, 12:02 PM
Premium Member

Those are some big skimmers Brad. I will be operating the tank at work. Very sweet to have this as a part of my already excellent job as a MMORPG game developer

OZreefhead: The skimmer in the pic is a AP 703. Rated: Heavy Stocking 2300 Ltrs. Normal Stocking 3500 Ltrs

The Skimmer we are getting with the tank is rated: Heavy Stocking 8000 Ltrs. Normal Stocking 12000 Ltrs so combined I have about 10.300 Heavy (2720 gallon) and 15.500 Normal (4094 gallon)
Old 04/21/2007, 01:24 PM
clownfish fan

Arnar did you get the self cleaning head on that ap1006 that is one super cool skimmer