Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/11/2005, 05:28 PM
Premium Member

Attaching reflector to canopy - what to use?

What is the best way to connect my reflector with the 2x MHs to the top of the canopy? All I have in the reflector are holes for where screws can go i guess?

Do i need special screws?
What is the best thing to use to do as little damage as possible to the wood? keep in mind the top of the canopy is quite thin

thanks
gooliver
Old 05/11/2005, 05:57 PM
SPS Freak

Stainless steel screws. You can put a spacer in between but I have yet to do that and it never harmed the wood. Just get a screw a slight shorter then the depth of your wood.
Old 05/11/2005, 06:14 PM
Premium Member

Thanks...jay

so...just force the screw in like that? no drilled holes, etc...
Old 05/11/2005, 07:01 PM
Premium Member

If the top of the canopy is thin, I would use stainless machine screws with washers and nuts. Drill through the top and put the nuts and washers on the outsede (top). I would also use spacers (a couple of spare nuts on each bolt) between the reflector and the top of your canopy. Can't hurt.
Old 05/11/2005, 08:46 PM
SPS Freak

I just forced mine through. Those things are so light, you really don't have to worry however if you want to be extra safe the washer and nuts are fool proof. Wood Stainless steel screws placed into direct wood are strong enough imo that a 2 pound bulb/reflector is in no way going to pull that out.
Old 05/11/2005, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

If you don't want to use spacers between the wood, and fixture, use some dynomat (the heat blocking kind), any stereo shop carries it.
Old 05/12/2005, 06:09 AM
SPS Freak

I really don't see why it is even used. These reflectors don't even get that hot enough to do anything to wood. I removed my reflector off my 44 and the one looks brand new where I screwed it into. Maybe a DIY reflector because of material type but I know my spider reflector does not transfer much if any heat to my wood.
Old 05/12/2005, 02:05 PM
Premium Member

thanks everyone...all i could find is "zinc" wood screws
Old 05/12/2005, 03:00 PM
Premium Member

Try to get stainless. There will be salt spray/mist under the hood. They should have stainless fasteners in the special bins at lowes, and i think they are in prepackaged bags in the special fasteners section at Home Depot. Or you can try a marine store like West marine.
Old 05/12/2005, 04:05 PM
Premium Member

thank you