Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/07/2002, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

Houston area LFS's??

Unfortunately, we're going to eventually be relocating from outside of the Tulsa area to the Houston area. Needing to get the scoop on the area fish stores; which ones to avoid, which ones are good. I hope this is the appropriate board for my post. Anyone wishing to email me privately about their experiences can at Mrspit66@aol.com.

Thanks!!!

Cathy
Old 08/07/2002, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

Well I don't know what you mean by unfortunately but at least you be getting outta Oklahoma (sorry couldn't help myself). There are lots of great lfs in Houston and also a great Local Reef club. Check em out at http://www.marshreef.org I do know that this topic has been discussed at great length on RC so you might do a search and find it.

HTH
Brandon
Old 08/08/2002, 12:25 AM
10 & Over Club

Hi:
I'll follow Brandon on this one.
Unfortunately your leaving Tulsa and moving to the 4th largest city in the USA. Very cosmopolitan. I'm not sure what the unfortunate part of this is. I moved from Boston MA to here and honestly the only thing i miss is the weather.
W/ that said we have a bunch of LFS in town and a local reef society (www.marshreef.org) w/ an active memberships and an ocean 45min away, Just this week (Aug MARSHREEF meeting) Eric Borneman presented a fantastic talk on a recent trip to Dominica to train the locals to propagate corals.
AS far as whats the best and worst LFS. I can recommend doing a search in the general reef discussion forum, this topic has been covered extensively (and recently) and many opinions were weighed in.
Good luck w/ your move, and where in Houston will you be moving too? This will dictate what LFS will actually be local to you. You won't believe how big Houston is
frank
Old 08/08/2002, 07:38 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FMarini
Hi:
I'll follow Brandon on this one.
Unfortunately your leaving Tulsa and moving to the 4th largest city in the USA. Very cosmopolitan. I'm not sure what the unfortunate part of this is.

You won't believe how big Houston is
frank
Lived there a year. It was plenty enough for me. Too big, too much traffic and bad air. So, yes, I DO know how big it is. You've obviously never been to OK. My husband is from Houston and he doesn't want to go back. The only two good things about it is he has family down there that we'll obviously see a lot more of now and we'll be closer to the Gulf so hopefully fish and stuff will be less expensive than they are up here. I don't mean to bash Houston, but we've got a great place where we are and we hate to leave it. I'll see if I can do a search and find some of the old posts. Thanks for the info!

Cathy
Old 08/08/2002, 08:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FMarini
Hi:
and where in Houston will you be moving too? This will dictate what LFS will actually be local to you.
We will be far north, probably the Conroe/Montgomery area. Sorry I didn't answer that earlier; too busy defending myself!

Cathy
Old 08/08/2002, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

Living up north, you'll definitely have cleaner air than in the middle of town. But, even being this close to water won't affect what you pay for fish much. Everything's imported, so the prices probably don't vary much based on location. However, the competition may be a little greater that where you're coming from, so that might bring down prices.

Unfortunately, I live about 1-1/2 hours south of where you'll be living so I can't recommend a LFS. I can recommend the local club that everyone else has recommended.

Welcome back to Houston!

(resident since 1964)