Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/15/2002, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

Help with aggressive tang!!

Hi, all. I have a 75 gallon tank that I just added two good sized pj cardinals to Saturday. Problem is yellow tang is being VERY aggressive to them! He will chase them - not constantly - but enough that they're sure trying to stay out of the way. They are not eating real good either, which worries me as we recently lost a couple of clownfish because they wouldn't eat. I know sometimes it takes a couple of days to settle in, but I'm worried the tang is scaring them so bad they won't eat. I thought tangs were only supposed to be aggressive to other tangs!! Anyway, other inhabitants are a yellowtail and humbug damsel that aren't even coming near the cardinals, and some snails, crabs and shrimp. I have a 1o-gallon Q-tank but I don't think it's ready to put anything into. I have a "critter keeper" I could put cardinals in and keep them in same tank with tang, but tang couldn't get to them but I'm scared that would really stress the cardinals.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Cathy
Old 07/15/2002, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

Yellow tangs can be very aggressive towards any new addition in the tank. Once that tang is established anything new is just in "his space". As far as he's concerned these two new cardinals are interlopers that NEED to be find their own home.

One thing that might help is to completely rearrange the tank and all the rocks when you add new fish. This kind of sets the mentality that it's a new area, screws up all the established territories and might help. Best to do this with the lights off though.

daveR
Old 07/15/2002, 01:39 PM
Premium Member

Put the tang in the critter keeper, rearrange the rock, let the cardinals stake out a territory, then put the tang back later.
Old 07/15/2002, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SushiGirl
Put the tang in the critter keeper, rearrange the rock, let the cardinals stake out a territory, then put the tang back later.
Yeah, listen to her. She's smart. And it's really good advice.
Old 07/15/2002, 02:40 PM
AquariumPros.ca

Quote:
Originally posted by SushiGirl
Great advice!!!