Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/01/2007, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

Arrow SEPTEMBER NTOTM Contest >> Enter Now!

Thanks again for voting my BC14 August’s NTOTM. I’ll post a detailed tank thread soon, so you can all take a closer look.

Now it's your turn. You spend countless hours designing, building, stocking, maintaining, and simply watching your nano reef – not to mention the $$$. It’s time that you finally give your tank the recognition it deserves. If you’d like to match up your nano with some of the most beautiful tanks in the world, then post your favorite FULL TANK SHOT right here in this thread.

The “rules” for September’s Nano Tank of the Month contest are as follows:

- There will be no specific theme for this contest (so we can expect MANY entries).
- You must have a nano reef tank between 5 to 30 gallons to enter.
- Your nano tank should be greater than 3 months old.
- You should not enter if you have already won a NTOTM contest in 2007.

o FYI, December’s contest will decide the Nano Tank of the Year amongst all ‘07s winners.

Here’s how to enter:

- Post 1 FTS and 3 additional tank photos of your choice. These could be macro shots, setup shots, night shots, etc. That's 4 TOTAL.
- Post a brief description of your tank’s specs (i.e. how many gallons, age, model, pumps, lighting, etc.)

On September 20th, I’ll select 5 finalists based on the photos and feedback from the RC community (with the help of the past winners). The ultimate winner will be decided by online voting, which will run until midnight of the last day of the month.

*Even if you don’t think you’ll win - just by entering - your tank can gain world wide exposure! You might be modest, but your reef deserves the attention ; ) So let’s see those tanks!!!

Last edited by PurpleUP; 09/01/2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09/01/2007, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

is that between 5 to 30 gallons display or total i got a 20gal display with a 20gal sump am i in?
Old 09/01/2007, 11:49 PM
Registered Member

CORRECTIONS

I want to make an important CORRECTION to the "rules" while I have the chance. Let's increase it to 5 - 40 Gallons, since many all-in-ones like the RSM are 34Gs.

I was going to mention something about sumps. There's definitely an advantage with greater water volume, but it is good for the coral - so you're IN. For clarification, it's 5 - 40Gs in your DISPLAY tank. Good question. Good luck.

Last edited by PurpleUP; 09/02/2007 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09/02/2007, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

What about the less than 5 gallon tanks? Are they not nano anymore?
Old 09/02/2007, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

Talking 12g nano dx- 18 months old

Hey all, this is my 12 gallon NanoCube DX. I run a maxi-jet 900, live rock and dls pad for filtration, and i have the nanocustoms 4.24 lighting upgrade which has 96 watts of power compacts. The tank was set up in March of 2006 and its still getting better everyday. I hope to have coral in every single square inch of the tank when it is finally complete but i can't wait till then to go into the running so i'll put it in this month. Thanks and enjoy!

Old 09/02/2007, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

Hi Taikimoto, I don't think there exists any real textbook definition for "nano tank," since literally every man made tank can be considered nano compared to the ocean. So not to say that < 5 gallons in not nano, but for purposes of this contest let's keep display tank sizes at or between 5 and 40 gallons. The category restriction will make it easier for judges to match tanks with the rest in the competition, in terms of coral selection, aquascaping, and overall reef environment. With that said, perhaps a pico contest would be lots of fun too? But then again, what is considered pico?
Old 09/02/2007, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

NTOTM

Here are som pictures of my RSM it has been up and running since March of 2007.[IMG]Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket[/IMG] [IMG]Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket[/IMG] [IMG]Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket[/IMG] [IMG]Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket[/IMG]
Old 09/02/2007, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

Hi – my name is Lasse Forsberg and I live outside Gothenburg, Sweden

My aquaria are a Red Sea Max, started late February 2007. I run it without skimmer – I have rebuilt the back apartment for biological filtration instead. I do water changes (app 35 %) every month and use “Kalkwasser” as “top-off” water. I have change the bulbs to one 1400 K and one blue (420 nm). Feeding normally with frozen artemia and copepods, some dry food now and then. I have around 9 hermit crabs and some snails. You can see may fishlist (and soon coral list) at http://www.rsmreefers.com/

The first picture is from the whole tank. It is not a good picture but the best I could do today.

The second show a part from the aquaria, its easier to make good pictures when you take pictures this way

The third show one of my favorites, its a rather "layback" fish.

The fourth shows another favorite but a rather shy fish.

Sincerely Lasse Forsberg
Old 09/02/2007, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

If we keep getting tanks like this, we're going to have one serious competition this month. Let's see more submissions, and please keep your total images to 4. Abyall, I'll let you slide this time
Old 09/02/2007, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

"All of the fishes are small and I know that some of them will be to big to fit in my tank. However at work I have a place for their retirement -
a tank of 1400 cubic meters = 369841.08 Gallons !"

Lassef, sweet tank man, very natural lookin, and good fish choices...but where the hell do you work? 1400 cubic meters?
Old 09/03/2007, 02:09 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigbyrd
"All of the fishes are small and I know that some of them will be to big to fit in my tank. However at work I have a place for their retirement -
a tank of 1400 cubic meters = 369841.08 Gallons !"

Lassef, sweet tank man, very natural lookin, and good fish choices...but where the hell do you work? 1400 cubic meters?
http://www.universeum.se/index.php?lang=en

We have a shark tank containing more than 1000 reef fishes in adition to the sharks.

http://webcam.universeum.se/view/view.shtml (ligth on 08:00 - 19:00 GMT +1)

I work as a technican (the running of the property) and not directly with the fish.

Sincerly

Lasse
Old 09/03/2007, 08:01 AM
WTMRAC Pres 07~08

NC6

My NC6, 3.18 lighting.

Click the Red House to see my tank pictures.
Old 09/03/2007, 06:32 PM
Genuine reef addict

Wow - too many nice tanks to beat, but I'll put mine in for the record. Red Sea Max reef with about 60 lbs. live rock. Started in April 07. Hood replaced with a Current USA Outer Orbit HQI/T5 (with a Dual Zoo fan for cooling), AquaC Remora skimmer, and a recently installed Tunze Osmolator ATO.

Old 09/03/2007, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

eh why not...22g finnex, 10 months old, 3x 36w pc fixture plus 1x 65w pc fixture, 2 Koralia 1's, and stock finnex return pump at 375gph. its the perfect environment, everyone gets along perfectly...clowns and firefish hang out, clowns host the fox coral, shrimp has his own little cave, its pretty awesome

clowns hosting the fox coral

firefish

all 3

and an fts
Old 09/04/2007, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

- You should not enter if you have already won a NTOTM contest in 2007.

or are different tanks okay?
Old 09/04/2007, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

The rules did state that you SHOULD NOT enter if you've already won a NTOTM in 2007, but considering it's a completely different tank, it shouldn't spoil the integrity of the contest. BigByrd will obviously not have any influence in choosing which 5 tanks will advance.

Unless one of the other entrants has a *SERIOUS* issue about BigByrd's 20G being in the contest, than it shall remain. Plus, you don't really think he has a chance, do you???

JK. Nice tank, BB.

So speak now or forever hold your peace...
Old 09/04/2007, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

I figured it was okay b/c it's Nano Tank of the month, and not 'member' of the month.....but I will take my tank out if you *SERIOUSLY* have a problem with it.
Old 09/04/2007, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

mmm. maybe i'll enter my 12 gallon.
Old 09/04/2007, 06:48 PM
Frag-a-holic

EZ, maybe you should.

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 09/04/2007, 07:53 PM
Reefin'

My 5.5g RICORDEA dominated nano. Its been up for close to a year.

Equipment:
Aqua Clear 50 HOB
Small Aqua Clear 20
8+ lbs of LR
2-3 inch SB

Livestock:
Clarkii Clown
Various hermits & snails

Dosing:
1 drop of Lugols every 2 weeks
capful of Kent Mag every month
Teaspoon of Calcium whenever needed
and lastly i have never done a water change on this tank.

FTS

RICORDEA!

MORE RICORDEA!

Candy

Enjoy

Ichthyophobia - fear of fish
Old 09/04/2007, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

No water changes and you have a fish in it! Incredible. How often do you top-off?
Old 09/04/2007, 08:10 PM
Reefin'

Quote:
Originally posted by PurpleUP
No water changes and you have a fish in it! Incredible. How often do you top-off?
I'd say a cup to 2 cups of FW per day.

Forgot, the lighting is 32watt of PC's...

Ichthyophobia - fear of fish
Old 09/04/2007, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

OOoo yeah, I am new to this Reef Central place but it looks like many of you are full of great insight, info, and of course tank pics and ideas! I will be entering my 29 BC by the 20th but I am waiting on a couple more little things to add that I just have to get in my pics. Thanks for the invite to the site PurpleUp!
Old 09/04/2007, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

well i give it a shot. enjoy

Old 09/04/2007, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

Incredible tanks people. This one is going to be extremely difficult to decide. I'm going to need a panel of judges to help me select the 5 finalists.

There's still plenty of time left in this competition. Let's keep the entries coming!