Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/08/2006, 06:16 PM
Premium Member

Calcium Level

I just tested my calcium and it took more then the 1 ML of reagent. So according to the test my CA is over 500. Anyone know what happens if your CA is too high?

And to get my calcium down I am assuming I just need to add less BIONIC.
Old 08/08/2006, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

Run the test again. What is your Alk?
Old 08/08/2006, 07:34 PM
Premium Member

Oy!
Proverbial can of worms.
By far, at least in my humble opinion, the Calcium/Alkalinity/pH thinggy was one of the hardest concepts to learn about this hobby... and frankly, my grasp is tenuous at best.
Suffice it to say, it's more complicated than just adding more/less of one thing. There are some chemical interdependencies going on (hope you paid attention in chemistry class?), so when you make a change in one place, you will likely see a reaction to it somewhere else as well. As Mark implied, a key to getting the hang of it, is learning how to properly run the titration tests. I'd only recommend Salifert - the other brands are mostly junk and not worth the packaging they ship in.
Fortunately, there's great places like RC and the URS where you can come to get help! The first thing to do is go back into the archives of Advancedaquarist.com and reefkeeping.com, and print out every article written by Randy Holmes-Farley. Great guy, knows his stuff, and can write it all up in laymans' terms (well, at least terms' most laymen can understand). His articles have proven to be great at helping teach folks about some of the more complex 'things' going on in our chemical soup (errr... simulated salt water).

- Mac
Old 08/08/2006, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

kris I highly recommend that youy read ALL of the articles in the reef chemistry forum... as reeferMac said

for a quickie ... like putter said test you alk if its low just dose alk till your ca comes down. If it is normal wait it out either way I'd wait until it comes down naturally.

CA being high is not really to much of a problem just note that you are on the edge of precipitating the bicarb and calc and forming raw calcium carbonate (which in lamans means youve got about 3 to 4 hours of scraping the tank and cleaning your pumps)

and behold my chemistry bible
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=102605

Id bookmark this as well as the calculator that he offers in his links

Good luck Kris ... man have you come along way sence the first couple of visits in the store

Brian
Old 08/08/2006, 08:37 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the info Brian. I hate that CA test I get so impatient waiting for it to turn blue My ALK is good so I will dose 20ml of 1 and 15ml of 2. Thanks again.
Old 08/08/2006, 08:56 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Maybe
Thanks for the info Brian. I hate that CA test I get so impatient waiting for it to turn blue My ALK is good so I will dose 20ml of 1 and 15ml of 2. Thanks again.
Your calcium is over 500ppm. and you're still going to dose (more) Ca ?
To bring your Ca down it's OK to add no B-ionic.
What is your alkalinity in dKH or meq/L? ("Good" is no good!)
You might need to bring up alkalinity and leave Ca alone.
Read this:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm
Old 08/08/2006, 09:39 PM
Premium Member

I guess I need to invest in a better test kit. My test kit only has colors on it. So when I see light blue that according to the test kit that is good. What test kit should I get for Alk?
Old 08/08/2006, 09:48 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Salifert alkalinity test kit.
Old 08/08/2006, 09:50 PM
Evil Conservative

Be careful...Calcium Carbonate precipatation is not fun to clean up after. I learned that recently by over dosing Calcium Chloride into my cycling seahorse tank. Thank goodness that I had no life in the tank. It was quite a mess. Thats the first time I did that. I have been using raw calcium chloride to dose instead of kalk or 2part. There are no instructions so I guess it was a learning experiance.

OPPPSSSS

As for test kits I use both Salifert and Hagen. I will admit that I trust the salifert more. I just like having the option of a second test to varify outlandesh results

Scott

Response from Bean Animal
"Username or Bullseye?"

Click the Red House for my Website
Old 08/08/2006, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

Until you get a better test kit (I also recommend Salifert) you can take a water sample to any of the local reef shops and have them double check both your calcium and alk measurements.

Friendly advice here: As a rule, don't dose anything unless:
1) You ran a test that indicates a problem
2) You know how what you're going to dose is going to fix that problem; and
3) You can test the result

Where you're at now I'd be most concerned with whether your test result is accurate. If it is I'd be concerned about how it got that way and what your current Alk level is (and what your PH will be come tomorrow morning). If your Alk is really low I'd probably be more inclined to fix it with water changes than with more dosing. The last thing I'd be doing is adding more Calcium...
Old 08/09/2006, 05:20 AM
Premium Member

Great Advice here!
Remember the mantra: nothing good, happens fast.

- Mac
Old 08/09/2006, 07:20 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for all the input guys I will def. have the LFS test my water today and pick up a salifert test kit for Alk Are all the test kits for CA so hard to use. I feel like its hard to tell when the purple liquid turns clear blue.
Old 08/09/2006, 07:39 AM
Premium Member

Salifert's kits are real easy to use IMHO. I started with them and have never had any issues using or reading the results. I use them for everything including Calc and Alk and have never had any problems telling when the color changed.

jer
Old 08/09/2006, 07:45 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Maybe
I feel like its hard to tell when the purple liquid turns clear blue.
Try back/side-lighting your test tube (stand w/ a Lamp nearby), and hold it up against a white background.

- Mac
Old 08/09/2006, 08:19 AM
Registered Member

With the Salifert it's going to change purple first, and then the next drop will usually change it to blue.
Old 08/09/2006, 08:21 AM
Premium Member

I am tempted to buy a probe. Can't you get some type of monitor that tells you CA and ALK digitally?
Old 08/09/2006, 10:06 AM
Premium Member

Not at hobbiest prices.

Don't get all caught up in the numbers, either. Stability at a given value, is far more important than some esoteric number.

- Mac
Old 08/09/2006, 09:19 PM
Evil Conservative

I will go with what Mac says. I maintain the Cal at 460 and the alk at 9...Which some would say is high. But I know the dosing that is required to maintain that all of the time....Changes in water chemistry are usually bad.

Scott

Response from Bean Animal
"Username or Bullseye?"

Click the Red House for my Website
Old 08/09/2006, 09:44 PM
Premium Member

I just tested again tonight and my CA is down to 475. I am feeling much better about that test kit.