Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/05/2007, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

XP3 Canisters

I have 2 XP3's running in my 55Gal. It has three compartments. First it goes through mechanicl then ceramic rings and finally it goes through super sctivated carbon and Phos-Zorb. Everything is fine just wondering if there is a better way to be using this filters. Should I take anything out and replace it with what?
Old 10/05/2007, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

I have a couple of clowns, crabs, snails, shrimp, 4 green chromis, kenya trees, couple flower pots, frogspawn, octopus coral, ricordia zoo's and mushrooms. Levels are:
PH - 8.4
Ammonia - 0
Nitratite - 0
Nitrate - 10
Phosphate - 0
Calcium - 420
Alk - 161ppmKh
Old 10/05/2007, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

I think most (including me) just leave the carbon in the filters, and phos-zorb or whateer. the rings and floss will accumulate stuff and ending leaking badness (nitrate) into the tank. even leaving it empty is good then it just becomes a powerhead. but the rings and filter you should take out
Old 10/05/2007, 01:21 PM
cubed

I do use that micron filter pad on the top, but I toss it and replace it with a new one every week. Sponges in the lower compartment get rinsed under hot water weekly and replaced monthly. In the middle chamber I run phosban, carbon and chemi pure. The whole canister gets rinsed weekly with hot water to remove any debris.