Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/16/2007, 01:48 PM
cubed

Hey, you're not supposed to reveal those top secret acclimation techniques.

Gorgeous RBTA. 1st in line for a clone!!
Old 05/16/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

I thought a 10g was way too small to keep an RBTA. Heh.. I want one
Old 05/16/2007, 05:41 PM
Insane Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sugar Magnolia
Gorgeous RBTA. 1st in line for a clone!!
Where are you in Northern Va.? There are already some clones from the parent anemone in your area; part of the WAMAS crowd has them, but I'll keep you in mind when it's time. This is clone number eight from the clone I received about 18mths ago.

Quote:
Originally posted by sentinel105
I thought a 10g was way too small to keep an RBTA. Heh.. I want one
You're correct, it really is if you're a die hard nano keeper or intend on going long term; I'm content to stick with my nano for now, but am fully aware that anything and everything in my tank is fragable or transitional at some point. It keeps the hobby interesting.
Old 05/16/2007, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

nice RBTA! I want one!!!!
Old 05/17/2007, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
[i]

[IMG][/IMG] [/B]
i have your maderine's brother!

Old 05/17/2007, 07:41 PM
Insane Reefer

Nice pic, what do you feed it?
Old 05/23/2007, 01:35 PM
cubed

Quote:
Originally posted by EdKruzel
Where are you in Northern Va.? There are already some clones from the parent anemone in your area; part of the WAMAS crowd has them, but I'll keep you in mind when it's time.
Scott? (traveller7) He has a clone that divided in May up for auction right now on WAMAS. If I come into some $$$ I may stalk the auction forum and try to outbid for it. I just got a misbarred clown that would love a RBTA.
Old 05/23/2007, 05:58 PM
Insane Reefer

Scott is not only a fellow moderator here, but someone I'm proud to call, "Friend". I'm not sure which BTA of his split, but I believe we both have clones from the same source. This is the eighth clone from the clone I received a little over a year ago.

Looking through the tank at the corals I don't believe I have anything directly from the sea. I'd actually be hard pressed to find anything with less than 5 generations of fragmentation from a wild colony.

Last edited by EdKruzel; 05/23/2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05/23/2007, 09:22 PM
RC Mod

Quote:
Looking through the tank at the corals I don't believe I have anything directly from the sea. I'd actually be hard pressed to find anything with less than 5 generations of fragmentation from a wild colony.
I'm going that way also but maybe not 5 generations.

I gave up on BTAs when they started to wander. Got tired of wondering when they'd wander into a powerhead.

Talking about powerheads I have at least one powerhead in a nano in addition to the main flow just in case the there's a problem. Just saved me recently when my aquaclear jammed up. The mini Tunze kept water flowing until I discovered the problem.

Tank is looking good but you need to clean that glass .
Old 05/23/2007, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

AWESOME tank love it man . pictures look sweet
29G-Cichlid
55G-African Cichlid
20G-Community
Old 05/23/2007, 09:51 PM
Insane Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by Agu
Tank is looking good but you need to clean that glass .
Agu,
Glad you jumped in here; I cleaned the glass and pulled all the bubble algae so it's looking better. I don't have any powerheads in the tank, all circulation works off of the main pump and a SCWD. This Montipora sp. came from Griss and I believe he mentioned you had the mother colony (?). Any recall?

I did find a recent addition from the sea. My Cataphyllia is a frag from a piece out of the ocean. The parent piece had succumb to whatever necrosis Borneman was working on, but this frag has survived and tripled (maybe a little more) since its introduction.
Old 05/24/2007, 10:49 AM
living the obsession

See, your thread shows what is so great about this hobby/addiction.... It is never finished. Always something new to do, something to tweak, something growing.

Nice tank, great evolution from rock work to new frags. Have enjoyed watching.

The challenge is the fun.
Old 05/24/2007, 01:41 PM
Insane Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by Lytehouse
Nice tank, great evolution from rock work to new frags. Have enjoyed watching.
Thank you, and please keep watching as I have some very tiny frags (couple mm's only) in the crevices that should begin to become visible (for the camera) in the next couple of months. I dropped them into some of the deeper areas and actually forget about them; when they finally become noticeable, it's like a nice little surprise package. I've also discovered a small neon purple something or another with bright white polyps. It's in an awkward location and will have to do a bit more growing before I'll attempt a guess as to what it is.
Old 05/24/2007, 02:27 PM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by EdKruzel
I'm not sure which BTA of his split, but I believe we both have clones from the same source.
Howdy Ed

While we do have some of the same parent line; I can't get the clones you have out of the display tank, Cujo the Nigripes call them home and I really like my skin

I was a bit overwhelmed with the line I picked up from ECC a few years back and was able to get one out of the tank ;>)
Old 05/24/2007, 02:29 PM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Sugar Magnolia
Scott? (traveller7) He has a clone that divided in May up for auction right now on WAMAS. If I come into some $$$ I may stalk the auction forum and try to outbid for it. I just got a misbarred clown that would love a RBTA.
Don't go crazy bidding on the auctions, patience is rewarded ;>)
Old 05/24/2007, 05:24 PM
Insane Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by traveller7
Cujo the Nigripes call them home and I really like my skin

Scott,
I have to laugh at that statement; while pulling bubble algae from the tank, my Maroon smacked my finger, and the surprise made me jump like a little girl it didn't hurt at all, but when I looked there was a nice clean slice trickling blood. I think she hit me with a cheek spine.

Gotta Love them Clowns!
Old 05/24/2007, 05:37 PM
RC Mod

It sure does shock the first few times and typically I recommend keeping your hand in there with them until they learn it does not deter you.....in the case of Cujo, she does not seem to learn, has jumped out of the tank while chasing a retreating hand, etc., to the point is has become dangerous for her

She is definitely one of my favorites though
Old 05/24/2007, 09:54 PM
Insane Reefer

Here's a few shots from today:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06/11/2007, 11:38 AM
w3rd

so you're using the aquaclear foam filter? could you show a picture of how you have them placed?
Old 06/11/2007, 12:15 PM
Insane Reefer

I placed two baffle (3 counting the first wall for the fuge) walls in the sump; the first attached to the bottom and about 9''s high to maintain the depth of the fuge, and 4''s behind that is another wall that is one inch off of the bottom. Thus the water cascades over from the fuge on to the AquaClear foam block and under the next wall into the return pump chamber. This not only filters any larger debris but eliminates any bubbles as well. I'll post a pic this evening to better clarify my ramblings.

I snapped these pics last night after I took out the Euphyllias. I placed a few Monti and Acro frags in their place. I also had some of that cotton candy algae (red) coming back so added two more small Mexican Turbo's which really seem to love that stuff.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

In the first picture down on the left and behind the Mandarin you can notice the cotton candy algae and again in the third photo dead center there is a tuft of it. The majority of the red and orange in the tank is an encrusting sponge and some darker coralline. The Mexican Turbos and my Queen Conch are the only snails (or anything) that I've found that will eat this soft algae, and without them my tank would probably be filled to brim with it. I'm feeding even higher doses of phytoplankton now and increased the roe to a full teaspoon daily, so combating some algae is a given.
Old 06/11/2007, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

Very nice build!
Old 06/11/2007, 01:34 PM
w3rd

your tank is awesome. i just called a glass company and said they would drill the holes for 5 dollars a hole. they were telling me they used antifreeze in the process so im wondering about that. still dont know if i should do 2 holes or 1 and try it like your system. probably save some money just drilling 2 and not using a scwd though :\
Old 06/11/2007, 02:05 PM
Insane Reefer

Don't worry about the antifreeze as long as you clean the tank well before use. There are many ways to plumb the system and be successful, I went with the overflow for added cascading surface area and increased oxygen (my pH stays above 8 even at night).

The SCWD was one of my only alternatives for such a small tank, being I didn't want any additional equipment like powerheads in the tank.
Old 06/11/2007, 02:25 PM
Insane Reefer

Here's a three month comparison which really doesn't do it justice; looking at in person brings out its beauty. I think in about 6mths it may be where I'm satisfied enough to keep my hands out except for the occasional cleaning and fragging.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06/11/2007, 02:38 PM
Slowly Stocking

I love it...it's coming along great.

Still waiting on pics of that Sump...I plan on doing my own pretty soon and want to get a better idea of what exactly it entails. What are you using as your return pump? Sorry if you've already been over that and I skimmed over it.

Your maroon is wonderful...I love the red border on her fins!

Check the red house.