Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/10/2006, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

painting back of tank

Has anyone done this? I was thinking about it, but wanted to maybe hear some feedback. what do you all think?
Old 08/10/2006, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

Its a purely aesthetic thing. I painted mine black with plain flat latex cause I like the look. If you do decide to paint, use 2-3 coats of latex cause it peels off easy if you ever decide to sell it or dont like it
Old 08/10/2006, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

I paint on Both of my tank back. I find Painter Touch work well on Glass, it is available in Home Depot. I recomend you roll-on instead of brush-on.
Old 08/10/2006, 01:24 PM
Premium Member

Black spray paint works great. The only thing I don't like is if something metal rubs against it then the paint comes off.
Old 08/10/2006, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

I have painted some in the past using a flat black rustoleum. However the last ones I used black contact paper cut to fit the back. It is very easy to remove and replace if you decide to change the color.. a whole roll costs 5 bucks at wal-mart, plus it stores well too.
Old 08/10/2006, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

I have used paper in the past, it can be such a pita getting is smooth and keeping it there.

You guys seem pretty happy with the paint. Is it worth a try on this one?

Fletch the latex idea sound like a good one.

however I like the idea of just spraying it on. Dr. Maybe did you find it difficult to get it to look smooth?
Old 08/10/2006, 01:42 PM
Premium Member

No I used rustoleum black. I taped the sides and covered the top. Spray paint gets everywhere. But the actual painting took a matter of minutes and cost a couple bucks. Later if I want to remove the paint it will come right off as I was complaining about earlier.
Old 08/10/2006, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

I've never tried rustoleum, but I like my latex. Personal preference. If you do go with latex, roll it for sure, brushes are annoying. Either way, paint the back side, not the inside
Old 08/10/2006, 01:52 PM
Benevolent Dictator

Im a sign guy and I use Black vinyl which has an adhesive backing. This works great for me . No mess and when I wanna remove it I just pull it off.
Old 08/10/2006, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

What to you think brings out colors better Black or Blue?
Old 08/10/2006, 02:07 PM
Premium Member

I painted the back and both sides. I like black because for me it makes vibrant colors appear more vibrant. Contrast I guess?
Old 08/10/2006, 02:34 PM
Premium Member

Flat Black Rustoleum. 3 coats w/ a trim roller. Still looks mint, 3 years on (in the few places you can see it ).

- Mac
Old 08/10/2006, 02:43 PM
Legal Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by ReeferMac
Flat Black Rustoleum. 3 coats w/ a trim roller. Still looks mint, 3 years on (in the few places you can see it ).

- Mac
Ditto.
Old 08/10/2006, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

I just bought flat black rustoleum and the first coat is on. Thanks all for your responses.
Old 08/10/2006, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

I prefer to use spray paint applied to the outside of the tank, general procedure is 1 coat of the color you want to see, 1 coat of white primer, 1 coat of durable white enamel. The last coat is purely optional and only there to improve durability.

It's impossible to get a fully opaque coat with a single coat of dark color, but additional coats don't really increase the visual impact and are a PTA to apply evenly if they're the same color as the surface coat.

The primer and white coat provide a nice opaque barrier. (light won't bleed into the tank if you have a reverse daylight cycle refugium back there for example) The durable top white coat has the added benefit of increasing your visibility behind the tank by reflecting more light back there (this can be VERY useful).

After painting the backs of dozens of tanks in the past several years I've come to this process as the best.

Also, my favorite color to paint marine tanks is the rustoleum cobalt blue metallic. The metallic aspects of the paint give an amazing depth to the finish when viewed through the tank. For freshwater I tend to use a chocolate brown or sage green. There's nothing wrong with black and I still use it for certain things, but I've found the other colors tend to make a tank look bigger and fade away better.
Old 08/10/2006, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

I have used both latex and rust-oleum and I like the rust-oleum better.I used flat black just be sure to clean the glass thoroughly before painting.
Old 08/11/2006, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

The rustoleum I got is latex. You definatly need to do 3 coats, the cover on the first is pretty bad. It came out pretty nice. I just need to get some pumps, plumb it and fill it. I cant wait.