Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/22/2007, 01:16 PM
Premium Member

BB and Lovin' It......(Pics Inside)

I have seen a lot of threads out there with reefers gauging interest in converting to a bare bottom tank. There are many threads debating which approach is better, so I want to point out that this is not the thread for a bb/ dsb/ ssb debate. However, I wanted to create this thread highlighting my success with the bb philosophy. Please make this an open thread to discuss anything related to running a bare bottom tank. I won't bore you with the long list of details explaining how I am running my tank, but here are some pics to enjoy. Thanks for looking!

Old 10/22/2007, 07:05 PM
Premium Member

A couple more pics......

Old 10/22/2007, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

I was debating BB or SSB for my tank, but I think SSB looks more natural. I still see the benefits of BB though...Good for you!
Old 10/22/2007, 07:16 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, I hear you on the natural thing, but after I removed the sandbed, and saw everything that was locked into it, I swore that was the last time I would ever have a sandbed. It was flat out disgusting. Thanks waterpologirl.......
Old 10/22/2007, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

Your tank looks great. How long has your tank been running BB?
Old 10/22/2007, 07:26 PM
always hungry

Sweet tank! I went BB a long time ago and I haven't looks back since. I do have a RDSB with no LR on top so it is very easy to clean. It is just imposable to deal with in a reef tank.
Old 10/22/2007, 07:36 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Briankook
Your tank looks great. How long has your tank been running BB?
thanks,
I have been bb for about 8 months now. At first I had a hard time getting nitrates down, hovered around 10ppm. Then I got a score on a Euro-Reef CS6-3 out of sump recirculating skimmer which is mesh modded. Hooked it up, added the rdsb fuge back in line, now testing under 2 ppm. Now all my corals are gaining lots of color.....
Old 10/22/2007, 08:17 PM
Tiny Miracles.

Quote:
Originally posted by plyle02
thanks,
I have been bb for about 8 months now. At first I had a hard time getting nitrates down, hovered around 10ppm. Then I got a score on a Euro-Reef CS6-3 out of sump recirculating skimmer which is mesh modded. Hooked it up, added the rdsb fuge back in line, now testing under 2 ppm. Now all my corals are gaining lots of color.....
Just out of curiosity, how do you attribute this to no sand in the tank? Maybe its simply the fact you got a better skimmer able to pull more waste out of the tank before it breaks down?

Dont get me wrong...your tank is stunning. And for maintenance purposes I agree probably a bb is probably better then any sand in a tank. But my fish and my wife, and myself prefer a sandbed(although I dont have any tanks running with a sand bed atm)...
Old 10/22/2007, 08:36 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NewMariner
Just out of curiosity, how do you attribute this to no sand in the tank? Maybe its simply the fact you got a better skimmer able to pull more waste out of the tank before it breaks down?

Dont get me wrong...your tank is stunning. And for maintenance purposes I agree probably a bb is probably better then any sand in a tank. But my fish and my wife, and myself prefer a sandbed(although I dont have any tanks running with a sand bed atm)...
Thanks mariner. As for a sandbed, I don't attribute all my success to the removal. I just decided to go bb for maintenance purposes, and was tired of dealing with algae on the sandbed. Going bb allowed me to do several things that allowed my corals to color up. More fish, more feeding, more flow directions, and less spots for detritus to gather. The decision to go bb really forced me to upgrade my equipment, which coincedently helped my corals. I do have a refugium with a 5 inch DSB, which has certainly helped to keep things more balanced and adding beneficial bacteria to the tank. There are many guys out there on the sps forum that have gorgeous tanks with sandbeds, so I certainly don't think my tank would do worse or better with a sandbed. It is simply a matter of preference. Thanks.....
Old 10/22/2007, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

Not to speak for plyle, but I think when he mentioned the amount of crap he found in his sand bed when he removed it, he is saying that it is easier to keep waste and nutrient levels to a minimum with his new bb setup. A great skimmer is helpful of course but it wont skim the detritis that is stuck in the sand bed. If a sand bed is full of waste it can slowly, and continually, be released n&p back to the water column. BB eliminates that problem.

I have also recently begun bb. Its too early to tell if its been a success yet, but I certainly feel good knowing that I can see what is accumulating on the bottom, and syphon it easily during a water change. I am also running a rdsb.
Old 10/22/2007, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

thanks mxett, you are right, my statement made to waterpologirl was to the effect that my 2 year old sandbed was nasty. The benefits of the rdsb fuge is that I can take it offline at any time by pulling a plug, while having it's benefits. It was a pain in the butt to remove the displays sandbed, not something I want to endure again. We all know sps prefer lots of flow, given my situation with my tank size, I wanted the benefit of a high flow environment where sandstorms could be avoided. Again, a matter of preference.....
Old 10/22/2007, 10:01 PM
Premium Member

your tank is really really nice. I saw the aquascaping pics in another thread (before and after) and I wanted to comment on how nice I thought it was but I didn't want to hurt the OP's feelings of distract from their thread.

Good job the tank looks great.

I have that same tank (perfecto right?). Of course it isn't set up yet but one of these days......
Old 10/22/2007, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

looks great! I went bb on my 75 gal too. I don't even keep sps, i just got tired of snad bed maint. like yourself. Best thing i ever did. I liked it so much i removed the sand bed in my fuge and even went bb with it. I have an ASM G3 skimmer on it. Are you using a filter sock on the drain or does the drain go directly to your skimmer?.
Old 10/22/2007, 10:30 PM
Premium Member

CeeGee.... Thanks for the compliment, I think I know the thread you were talking about.....lol

seagirl.... Funny you asked that question, but I just went back to using filter socks again, I never wanted to hassle with them, but recently I did a complete sump cleaning to remove detritus, and now use the sock so none gathers and breaks down in there either. I feel this is aiding in lowering nitrates, as before, there were piles of detritus gathering, which couldn't help. I change the filter sock every 2 days, or when water overflows them, I wash in the washing machine with about a cup of bleach. Thanks as well for the compliment....
Old 10/22/2007, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

looks great, i like the BB look and the cleanliness of it. very nice
Old 10/22/2007, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by plyle02

seagirl.... Funny you asked that question, but I just went back to using filter socks again, I never wanted to hassle with them, but recently I did a complete sump cleaning to remove detritus, and now use the sock so none gathers and breaks down in there either. I feel this is aiding in lowering nitrates, as before, there were piles of detritus gathering, which couldn't help. I change the filter sock every 2 days, or when water overflows them, I wash in the washing machine with about a cup of bleach. Thanks as well for the compliment....
Just about the same situation i'm in. When i cleand out my sump i found tons of detritus so i began using a filter sock. But i'm tired of changing socks and like the tank to be able to "auto-pilot" for a week or so if need be. I was thinking about ditching my filter sock and feeding directly to the skimmer, but didn't know if it would work as good. So you were going right to the skimmer but now use the sock?

edit- btw how do you like the modded 6025's? I have 2 #4 hydors and a 6045 and still want more flow. Was thinking about trying a modded 6025.
Old 10/22/2007, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

hey bud
your corals look great!

so which is better BB or DSB

(ONLY KIDDING)

i admittedly am not a fan of BB
imo it doesnt look natural - looks more like corals for sale at a fish store... but cant help notice how nice your corals look - i like the look of even a few inches of sand though...

in my system have 4-6" in main display
then put dsb in 50gal fuge (in hindsight would have only put ssb in fuge for pods etc iow no need 2 dsb in same system)... since i began (before adding fuge) have never had any problems w/ nitrates - zero on saifert tests always - BUT had a phosphate problem - seemingly obviously caused by detritus buildup in dsb (dont/wont use a filter sock)

to each their own and best of luck w/ yours!

regards
Old 10/22/2007, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

the tank looks great,you know im a fan of BB
Old 10/22/2007, 11:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seagirl
Just about the same situation i'm in. When i cleand out my sump i found tons of detritus so i began using a filter sock. But i'm tired of changing socks and like the tank to be able to "auto-pilot" for a week or so if need be. I was thinking about ditching my filter sock and feeding directly to the skimmer, but didn't know if it would work as good. So you were going right to the skimmer but now use the sock?
No, I don't down-flow to the skimmer, I want more contact time in the skimmer, so I feed the skimmer with a maxi-jet 900, and have a gate valve to control how wet or dry I desire to skim. My fuge and my display both return into the 1st chamber of my sump into a filter sock, this is also where the maxi-jet 900 is positioned, and where the skimmed water returns. In the 2nd chamber is my mag7 which pumps up 4' to my 20gallon long dsb refugium, I also have a sock of ESV activated carbon in the 2nd chamber, and also have a float valve for my ATO auto top off which pumps into the same chamber RO/DI for evaporation loss. My 3rd and final chamber has the displays pump, which is a mag 9, I also run GFO in a phosban reactor which pumps in and returns into the 3rd chamber. When the water makes its way to the 3rd chamber, it is pretty clean. I hear you on the weekly thing, I have to get someone watch the tank if I go out of town.......
Old 10/22/2007, 11:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by checkinhawk
the tank looks great,you know im a fan of BB
Chris what's up bro.... I still have to get you those mini-carpets, back to work, and been super busy, but I got you..... Hope all is well with that 150 gallon beauty of yours. Glad I decided to go back to filter socks, tank looks sooooo much cleaner.
Old 10/22/2007, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

everything is good perry,my buddy has been hounding me to get him one of the carpets lol,whenever you can get them is fine.the 150 is ok,few new tank problems but nothing that isnt fixable,just a little alk spike from a stupid piece of you know what CO2 needle valve but thats it.so reactor is off for a few days to let things settle down,ill just dose calcium.
Old 10/22/2007, 11:13 PM
Premium Member

Sorry Seagirl, btw, I like the modded 6025's, got them from a local reefer for $50 a pop. They have surprisingly alot more flow than I thought they would.....
Old 10/22/2007, 11:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by checkinhawk
everything is good perry,my buddy has been hounding me to get him one of the carpets lol,whenever you can get them is fine.the 150 is ok,few new tank problems but nothing that isnt fixable,just a little alk spike from a stupid piece of you know what CO2 needle valve but thats it.so reactor is off for a few days to let things settle down,ill just dose calcium.
Wow, that sucks.... I finally got the schuran pico jetstream up and running on vacation, I am so dialed in it scares me....lol.. I still test every day though, I have some $$$ corals that I can't afford to lose... I will PM you tomorrow, I am off, so if your buddy or you want to pop by, we can pry some of those little buggers off.
Old 10/22/2007, 11:56 PM
Unregistered Member

There are problems with each and I like the look of each - different but equally beautiful

Definitely a sweet tank - the more I see these tanks the closer to the edge of converting to 100% sps I get. Just so expensive!
Old 10/23/2007, 08:29 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by davidryder
There are problems with each and I like the look of each - different but equally beautiful

Definitely a sweet tank - the more I see these tanks the closer to the edge of converting to 100% sps I get. Just so expensive!
David,
thanks for the compliments, and I understand what you mean about expensive....lol The investments are really equipment related though, keep an eye out on the local Tampa forum, I have had some great used deals that have worked out nicely. IMO, automation has been the key to my success with sps corals.....
Happy Reefing!