Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/06/2005, 10:02 PM
Premium Member

Did you click my link for cooking live rock? You don't actually cook it. You just put the rock in total darkness, and heavy skimming. In about a month you can kiss the hair algea good by. Click the link I added earlier it will tell you all about it.
Old 03/06/2005, 10:08 PM
Join our OH/MI club-SMART

On the serious side. I've only done it with 1 piece of live rock that was completely covered with GHA. I boiled it on top of the stove. You do have a lot of dead material in there after you are done. I recured the piece before putting it in my tank. I would absolutely hate to have to boil all my live rock.
Join us and have a blast!

"Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil."
Old 03/06/2005, 11:03 PM
Premium Member

thanks all,, Im hoping it goes well.. Im keeping my polyps crossed...
Old 03/06/2005, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by andy51289
you do know that "cooking" live rock doesn't involve putting the rock in an oven, don't you? "Cooking" refers to putting the rock into a containter of SW for a few months without light.
Now what am I supposed to do with all those new crockpots I bought?
"So is this great and wide sea, wherein are things creeping innumerable, both small and great beasts." - Psalm 104:25 KJV
Old 03/06/2005, 11:40 PM
Join our OH/MI club-SMART

Boy have I been had! I actually thought cooking involved a stove. It did work though...
Join us and have a blast!

"Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil."
Old 03/07/2005, 12:10 AM
Premium Member

Can someone get the clue train in here please...??

Old 03/07/2005, 12:59 AM
TRC Leader

Todd, forget about "cooking your LR" and focus on the advice I gave you in the GHA article. It works, but you'll have to stay on top of it for about 14 days.
Old 03/07/2005, 02:57 AM
TRC Leader

Well, it is nice to report that I can still find 4 of the 6 Lettuce Nudibranchs in my tank while on flashlight duty. Perhaps the other two are simply hiding in the rockwork. I watch the sump and refugium daily for any that have traveled south inadvertantly.

Speaking of which, last night I was looking for more of those cute little anemones in the 'fuge, and found a few. I'm tempted to try to scrape a couple off the glass and place them on something I can photograph more easily. A few minutes later one of my Peppermint Shrimp was dancing back and forth in the cheatmorpha. Later, I couldn't find it and today again I never saw it.

I replaced the VHO bulbs on the tank last night, and cleaned off the MH bulbs that had some salt spray clouding the glass. The tank looked pretty stark today, but that might be since I'm not seeing Nathan's corals any more.

A few more asterinas were plucked off those zoos again tonight. I don't know if they are doing any damage, but they are now on my list of unknowns.
Old 03/07/2005, 03:56 AM
Registered Member

sweet
Old 03/07/2005, 05:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Todd, forget about "cooking your LR" and focus on the advice I gave you in the GHA article. It works, but you'll have to stay on top of it for about 14 days.
I will heed your advice Marc. I was just curiuos as to the cooking thing is all. I know it will take time. It's just so darn frustarting.

I will read the link again so I make sure I did not miss anything.

Thanks as always for your help Marc.

Todd
Old 03/07/2005, 12:29 PM
Reef Mania

Marc,

I did a really good cleaning in my tank... blowing off the LR with a turkey baster and cleaning up the top of the sand bed a little (I don't have a DSB) and cleaning out the power heads suction screen area. There was a bit blowing around in the tank for a bit, which usually all the filter feeder's love with alot of food being blown around as well as the bad getting filtered out.

Anyway... Every since that day, the cocoworm only seems to be coming out at actinic only times and all night, it is not coming out during the day much only a time here and there just to go back in the tube after 5-10 minutes. Any clues as to why the cocoworm is doing this considering it was out almost all the time all day long for the first 8 months.

I know that Cocoworms can be hard to keep and hope mine is not going south or anything. It adds such a nice color and fills the space nicely where I have it placed.

Thanks ahead!

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 03/07/2005, 04:51 PM
Premium Member

Not half as stark as my tank.. But ive got to replace my VHO's as well,, right now i am just running my halide,.the unexplainable HA is due to bad color spectrum in them.. great refugium bulbs for those of you who want to have a good use for Old VHO bulbs, Get a 430 and run them over your refugium..... Macro's love red's and yellows and oranges in the " Past Due " Bulbs

I pulled two more of those asternias off today as well... You must have kept them happy..
Old 03/07/2005, 05:35 PM
TRC Leader

RJ, it sounds like it is hiding from a fish, only coming out when it feels safe.
Old 03/08/2005, 03:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rjwilson37
Marc,

I did a really good cleaning in my tank... blowing off the LR with a turkey baster and cleaning up the top of the sand bed a little (I don't have a DSB) and cleaning out the power heads suction screen area. There was a bit blowing around in the tank for a bit, which usually all the filter feeder's love with alot of food being blown around as well as the bad getting filtered out.

Anyway... Every since that day, the cocoworm only seems to be coming out at actinic only times and all night, it is not coming out during the day much only a time here and there just to go back in the tube after 5-10 minutes. Any clues as to why the cocoworm is doing this considering it was out almost all the time all day long for the first 8 months.

I know that Cocoworms can be hard to keep and hope mine is not going south or anything. It adds such a nice color and fills the space nicely where I have it placed.

Thanks ahead!
Are you feeding it phyto?
Old 03/08/2005, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

Hey Marc. Got the new bulb today that you suggested. A huge difference in color. Nice and white. Hopefully this will help the macro take off. I have Chaeto and Red Gracilaria in there.

Time will tell I guess.

Do you feed your refigum any supplements such as Iron? I was told by an LFS that Iron is great for the fuge and helping Macro take off. Just wanted your thoughts first.

Thanks,

Todd
Old 03/08/2005, 07:08 PM
TRC Leader

You can. I've never added any myself. Very rarely I'll actually feed the refugium some food.
Old 03/08/2005, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

I think I will stay away from dosing anything more than needed myself as well.

Less put in, less troubles to overcome.

Thanks Marc.

I may be recruiting you for a Melev Refugium Special if you still do them. I want to go bigger and more manageable if that makes sense? I did a 30g myself, but I used silicone for the baffles and they are coming apart. OOPPPSSSS. Haste makes waste. The really bad part is, Elizabeth (wife) told me to do it right the first time. I being impatient as I am sometimes, just did it this way to have it done. I hate when she is right....

Todd
Old 03/08/2005, 07:25 PM
TRC Leader

Email me your thoughts. I'm not a vendor on RC.
Old 03/08/2005, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

I realized my mistake after posting. Sorry about that.

I will do it the correct way. Again, I apologize for my mistake.

Todd
Old 03/08/2005, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

Email was sent.

Old 03/08/2005, 08:31 PM
Premium Member

Hey Marc,

I picked up two Lettuce Nudibranchs in mid Dec at my LFS, soon after they shrunk to about half their size and I didn't see them after that.

About 5 weeks ago I saw something on my back glass, it was 8 little Nudi's. I now have about 20 to 30 (It's hard to count them) and more on the way, I have 50 or 60 little pods all over the underside of my rock.

I wonder if my local reefers would trade for frags?

This one is about 5 weeks old, about 3/8'
Old 03/08/2005, 08:35 PM
TRC Leader

That is awesome! i saw two nudis hanging out last night side by side, and I was wondering if they were gonna make me some free babies.

I have no doubt some would be happy to get your nudis.

You know, it never even occured to me that I might end up with a few extras later. I figured they'd do their job, and disappear.
Old 03/08/2005, 08:46 PM
Premium Member

they probably will not do anything since you took all those corals out.. They dont have anything to hide behind now besides those feather dusters...
Old 03/08/2005, 08:50 PM
Premium Member

Ya I was quite pleased to see them.

I did a search on rc to see what types of algae they eat and found conflicting info. I'm concerned my tank won't sustain all of them.
Old 03/09/2005, 12:29 AM
reef addict

marc you asked me to post some pics when I got the manifold done. so here they are. oh and btw I pm'd you about the manifold flow with a sequence baracuda.
I opted to just do 4 outlets at the front of the tank aimed at the reef itself to get "target" flow.
manifold

water flow at surface

and the refugium

sorry to hijack your thread, but I thought this would be the best way for you to see it.
any questions hollar.