Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/10/2008, 07:27 PM
30 year and over club

Where is Waterkeeper?
No it will not eliminate all algae, not even close. All the food you put into the tank stays there and becomes plant food. Food contains nitrogen and sometimes phosphates. The animals themselves add ammonia and CO2. These things equal algae. But if you are using tap water this just adds to the nitrates and phosphates already there and it is cumulative. My tap water here in NY has a nitrate reading of 10. If I continousely add this, it will just keep rising. At least RO water eliminates these pollutants.
I got my bare bones RO/DI on line. I just connected it to a 5 gallon bucket and built a float switch that turns off the electric valve that feeds it. All RO units work basically the same so it doesen't really matter which one you get, the important thing is the membrane that is in it. Some of them only reduce the pollutants 90% or so which may let through enough chemicals to harm your corals which happened to me twice. You also need to decide how much water you need to make daily. Some of them only make 5 gallons which may be fine while others can make as much as you want. My unit makes 15 gallons a day but my tank only uses one gallon a day. I like the 15 gallon size it just takes me a couple of days to make enough for a water change.
I am charging Waterkeeper per word. This is his job.
Old 01/10/2008, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

so when you go to top off... you just turn the unit on? or do you have to wait for it to function? my g/f wants me to get a bow face tank here in the next month or 2 when we put hard wood floors in. before i go to that step i want to get everything aquarium wise straightened up. going from 55 to 75... when i go to transfer my water over into the big tank... will the tank cycle when i add sooo much "fresh" water and that one time? or do you have any suggestions. ...... btw, i see the ro units with a tank... what is the tank for?
Old 01/10/2008, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

btw my nitrate's here in birmingham are 0 out of the faucet
Old 01/10/2008, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

what if i boil water, let it cool to room temp then poor into my top off?
Old 01/11/2008, 07:36 AM
Registered Member

Waterkeeper, Thanks for getting us on the right track. Our new BioCube has been up three weeks now. After putting in cured LR from the other tank on top of the live sand, then removing the bioballs, the nitrates are about 5 already with one 20% water change so far. To say we are thrilled would be a under statment. Our larger tank is going to take more but its getting better as well after removing half of the bioballs. We are waiting for another additional 70 pounds of LR to cure, then we will get rid to the other half of them. We are also turing our sump into a fuge when we do that.

Here is our question. The LFS sweard by Red Mangrove shoots and Caulerpa, Halimeda algae, and Shaving Brush plants for the fuge. Any opnions would again be greatly appreciated. We are having trouble finding the Cheato.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:47 AM
30 year and over club

Waterkeeper did you break her other ankle?
The tank with the RO units is to store the water. When they make water it only drips the purified water. The tank stores it until it is needed. I have that tank above the height of my tank in another room so the water flows from the tank to the tank through a float valve. It is all automatic but you don't have to do that.
Boiling the water will only make the nitrates in it hot. It will do nothing else except maybe adding metal from the pot.
It is great that the tap water in your town is zero, are the phosphates zero? How about radon, lead, zinc, or insecticides?
It may be zero today but change tomorrow. As I said, tap water may be fine in some places.
OK I am retired now. Waterkeeper should wake up soon.