Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/18/2006, 10:31 AM
Moved On

shore divingin ft lauderdale?

where are some good places to go shore diving in ft lauderdale that arnt watched by a lifeguard ( since they dont let you in the water)
Old 09/19/2006, 10:57 AM
Keeper of Tangs

i would like to know also.
Old 09/19/2006, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

there are seveal books that are sold that give very detailed locations that you can beach dive from in ft. lauderdale. If i remember correctly one of the books is available in the library.
Old 09/19/2006, 11:54 AM
Moved On

i have one ( new) but everything was outdated
Old 09/21/2006, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

1 block north of the dania pier is the dania ero jacks. just stop by any local dive shop and they will tell you the exact location. also, one block north or south of the commercial blvd pier is one of the best beach dives in florida, highly recommend it. i'm out there at least once a week.
Old 09/22/2006, 07:07 AM
Premium Member

Re: shore divingin ft lauderdale?

Quote:
Originally posted by goda
where are some good places to go shore diving in ft lauderdale that arnt watched by a lifeguard ( since they dont let you in the water)
It's been awhile since I've dove off the beach in lauderdale, but since when won't a lifeguard let you in the water? I've been beach diving in florida for 15 years and I've never had a lifeguard object. I always go up to them before the dive, let them know what my plan is, ask them if there are any conditions I should be concerned about, etc...I've always found them to be helpfull. Heck, I've even had guards offer to let me keep my topside stuff right by their station so they can keep an eye on it.

Is this something new down in that area? Not that you'd want to argue with them, but if you have a flag and it's a public beach, what right do they have to keep you from diving?
Old 09/22/2006, 09:03 AM
Moved On

iv been stoped several times. i shouldd of ignored him because... he dosnt have any real authority
Old 09/22/2006, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

we never stopped a diver when i worked on the beach. i've never been bothered by the lifeguards either . . and when we freedive we usually have spearguns on us and all the rest of our stuff.
Old 09/24/2006, 09:01 PM
Moved On

ok. how far out is the stuff..

my plan is surface swim till water is about 8 ft deep. then swim on bottom straight out till we use 1000 psi.( 3500 pst 80 cuft tanks) then turn compleatly around and head back .. and swim underwater till we are at shore

possiably correct abit and head in at an angle so we pop up near where we started.. how much drift can i usualy expect.
also what is the best place close to shore. as this is my first time shore diving without a dive master or someone who knows what they are doing
Old 09/25/2006, 07:56 AM
Registered Member

pm me if you want some info, but where are you getting tanks filled to 3500 psi?

as for places, straight off of the commerical pier, and out towards the balls n and s of PE are some good places to start.

also i don't think i would swim till i only had 1000 psi and then expect to swim back. 1/2 your tank on the way out and 1/2 your tank on the way back in.

Currents vary, last weekend there wasn't any current in 80' and the vis was ~ 60'. friday the 30' stuff had a 2 knot north current running across the top of the reef. an easy way to check the current is to see which way the anchored ships outside the port are pointing. this will also give you an idea how strong the current is.

may i highly suggest having a dive buddy or two if you are not experienced diving without a dive master.
I had the pleasure of towing a friend back to shore from the 30' ledge when he cramped up and could not swim by himself.

last idea if you are going to be doing any surface swimming. pay attention to the boats. there are alot of idiots that run around in the shallow water and they are not going to see you. don't have your flag tied to you, and carry a big one so people might have a chance to see you.
Old 09/25/2006, 09:42 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Von_Rahvin
also i don't think i would swim till i only had 1000 psi and then expect to swim back. 1/2 your tank on the way out and 1/2 your tank on the way back in.
He said until they use 1000psi...Assuming turnaround and head back (and not swim around for a bit), that'd be 1/3 out, 1/3 back and a 1/3 for safety, which is what I'd recommend (and dive) for a beach dive. Especially for someone not too experienced.

And I'd strongly recommend taking a compass. Even if you don't really know how to navigate by one, at the very least you'll know which direction shore is (and yes, it is easy to get turned around..shallower doesn't always mean closer to shore!).
Old 09/25/2006, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

ahhhh read that wrong. 1/3 1/3 and 1/3 is a much safer route.
Old 09/25/2006, 10:52 AM
Moved On

i dive alot but usualy off boats done solo dives many times off boats ( aka "buddy" and i go our own way then meet back at the ancore line at some time)

"pm me if you want some info, but where are you getting tanks filled to 3500 psi? "
any place with half a brain will fill them that high only place that dosnt is that old scuba shop in coral springs cause there not to bright they are the NB tanks so i think 3300 is the rated pressure and then 3500 is still safe

im not going to be going alone but i am going with someone who is really new to diving
Old 10/14/2006, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

Ive gone right near the commercial boulavard pier in lauderdale by the sea - not bad her, easy shore dive on a calm day. I've seen some pretty cool stuff in here like a small squid and some HUGH tarpon, we estimated them to be around the 400-500lb range. the best i have found is just south of the pier (when your looking at it to the right) about 100-200 yard and then the reef is about 10-20 feet of water about even with the end of the pier. the area is great also and not overly populated since lauderdale by the sea (only about a mile or two of shore line) has a limit of 3 story maximum to the buildings so no hugh high rises, althogh looking both south and north, you sea the boundry of the little city. if you have any more questions PM me

hope i helped
Old 10/28/2006, 03:28 PM
Premium Member

I am looking for the same conditions but for snorkling from the beach anywhere along broward coast. I've been told john u loyd state park is good. I didnt see any life guards there either. I dont want to get in water much deeper than 20-30ft. Do the lifeguards give anyone a hard time about snorkeling beyond the bouys anywhere? or do you have to have a dive flag for that?
Ryan
Old 11/01/2006, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cshradr7
some HUGH tarpon, we estimated them to be around the 400-500lb range.

hope i helped
sorry. some of the biggest we see in this area are at max 150#'s. they do look big though.
Old 11/21/2006, 01:21 PM
Hog Obsessed

If the pier is still closed for repairs. A great way to head out to the reef is "under" the Pier at Commercial. Its loaded with fish and makes a nice snorkel dive too.
Old 11/21/2006, 02:32 PM
Premium Member

Baalz, you mean swim out under the pier? wont ya get in trouble for that? what about fishing line, hooks and all that stuff?
Old 11/21/2006, 04:45 PM
Hog Obsessed

The pier had been closed for repairs since Hurricane Wilma when I was last down there in Aug.. If its open now I wouldn't do it.
Old 11/24/2006, 01:43 AM
Registered Member

I used to fish that pier all the time as a kid and a lil bit of warning.... some people have "diver hooks" its a big treble with a weight in the middle . It was used when divers got to close to the pier..... I never did it but they saw it as they were "landlocked" and Divers have the whole ocean.
Maybe things have changed since then but I doubt it.
Not trying to start anything just a heads up. Im a diver and a fisherman and I respect both sides of the arguement.
Old 11/24/2006, 09:55 AM
Premium Member

DIVER HOOKS? what do you mean they tried to catch the diver? that could be considered assualt! lol besides if you have a dive knife couldnt you cut the line? I'm too poor to have dive gear i just snorkle....
Old 11/24/2006, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

yeah i'd stay at least 50-100 yards from that pier if your going to snorkel or scuba. there are tons of hooks and stuff in the water with fishing line to get entangled in. even if its closed i wouldnt get anywhere near it, just too dangerous with the rocks, wave action, and giant cement supports coming out of the water. I have also been out on that pier fishing, the little bait fish are fun and easy to catch, and witnessed the local fisherman trying to land their hook ontop of the diver. its understandable why they'd try to do this although, divers are scaring the fish which they are trying to make a living off of. just be careful and keep your distance and you'll be just fine
Old 11/24/2006, 05:31 PM
Hog Obsessed

Like I said If the pier is opened back up I wouldn't go near it.
But just last August it wasn't because of repairs needed since hurricane Wilma. I snorkled and dove the entire length of the pier repeatedly and I saw no lines and hooks dangling anywhere. What I did see were tons and tons of fish, Nice size schools that would just freak you out and lots of large tarpon cruising around.
Old 12/13/2006, 01:12 AM
Registered Member

Are there any good shore diving areas in the Tampa/St Pete area?