Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 05/20/2006, 12:20 PM
Psuedo Member

ok mummra. rid yourself of gas for a month and see what happens to your life, job, and everything else. as much as you dont want to admit it, gas is needed for most peoples daily function. maybe a century ago we didnt need gas for normal life but in todays culture it is a must. gasoline and other petro products are not just a source of fuel for a car.
Old 05/20/2006, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

i guess if you live in the outbacks then gas is not needed. but where i am from, no gas= no job= no money my friend.
maybe you make an invention of a coral skeleton propel car, then you can sell it for LE price and rule the world.
who ever says gas is not needed must got stung by a zoanthid.
Old 05/20/2006, 07:57 PM
Waste Management

To all you people saying you can live without gas are you speaking from experiance? Last year for almost three weeks here in South Florida there was no gas in the wake of Hurricanes Wilma & Katrina. When a few stations finally did get that limmited few gallons the lines were miles long on the Florida Turnpike this place was in gridlock. No busses, no public transportation, nothing. Put that together with almost a month with no electricity & and you have a recipe for disaster. I would say 80% of all businesses were still shut down a week after the hurricane. Now yes back in 1776 thing could function without gas & electricity but in this modern age we live in to say you don't need it....well your just plain naieve. And for anyone who would like to rebut this as fact Hurricane season will be here at the end of the month when the next one hits come stand in our shoes. As for TYree I think I'll start a post why Corvetts cost more than a Cavalier I mean there both Chevys....right. Just remember you always have a choice if you don't like what on change the channel. No one will ever force you to buy a Tyree coral. J.M.O.
Old 05/20/2006, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

people still bike around all the time
Old 05/21/2006, 12:31 AM
Registered Member

the tyree thing has 2 sides to it. on the negative side. he takes a whole colony that would sell for $100 at an lfs and chops it up, gives it the royal name and just like that each small frag is worth $100. so by the whole LE thing being around, corals that would be affordable become out of reach for some.
but there are also benenfits to this. it promotes aquaculturing, it creates a niche for us buffs of the rare and unusual, and it adds a whole other dimension to the hobby. it used to be just bland brown corals for the most part. then as the hobby grew out came insane mushrooms, lps, and sps. now we even have another dimension of the most colorful and rare. its good for the hobby and as much as it hurts to spend a days worth of pay on a frag, i cant deny that no one is forcing me to.
Old 05/21/2006, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

btw, i cant believe no one mentioned the rbta as a fad "coral lol". those things were like the holey grail for a while. then they started splitting, and then split some more. now days, they are easy to find for cheap lol.
Old 05/22/2006, 10:30 PM
Member Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Vili_Shark
Al G Blenny
Sorry my friend, Im not arguing with you, you are the one who mentioned the wholsellers.
Actually you mentioned the wholesalers. You just call them importers. For some reason you refuse to address the fact that there is no middle man between exporters and the wholesalers here.
Quote:

Read my two previous posts, if it doesnt make sence, go on my friend, and pay whatever you like for whatever LE "rare" , "first time we received it" etc kind of corals.
Your previous posts don't make sense because it seems all you want to do is show that you know more about the industry but you refuse to admit that you are wrong about certain things. Is this a contest or something? That's great that you think you know something about coral and livestock importing but don't go around telling others that you know more than them if you aren't sure. Where do you get this "extensive" background on shipping livestock?

Quote:

Read my post and at least TRY to understand that in case you have an access to a serious corals importers(like 100 box a week or more) or better a coral exporter you will see these corals and wont pay the big buck for them, please understand most of them are NOT rare, just overpriced.
I guess I should have mentioned that I have worked for a couple of wholesalers. The last shipment I helped put away (I still help out at one when they are short handed) had 200 boxes. That was just the corals. There was live rock also. You think that is a big shipment? So if there are so many of these LEs coming in where do they go? If you have to know a serious "importer" to see them what happens after they get here? Do they go back to Asia? Germany? Boy that would seem funny to ship here and then ship the best stuff back. Lets see pics of your tank and see how many wild colonies of LEs you have if they are so common and you have such great access to them.
Quote:
The fact that you know 2.5 players in 104 does not mean you know everything , for your info, people in LA do export to countries like Brasil, Mexico and Canada, I know an importer from Mexico who buys 100 box a week from ONE guy in LA only.
The corals are not America's Pacific ocean but tropical.
You are right that we ship to other parts of the Americas but those countries get OUR leftovers. The grass is always greener right? Did you ever see all of the Ausie reefers posting pics of all of the lords they had when we couldn't get them? That wasn't because they got first pic. Lords were just more common there. Finally the stores, wholesalers, exporters and then collecters saw that there was a market here in the US for them so they started shipping them here. Simple as that.

Quote:
Let me give you a little piece of advice, instead of being so narrow minded, save the money of your next 2-3 Tyree LE corals buy a flight ticket to Asia-Pacific and learn, you'll thank me for that.
Now that's just rude. You say you aren't the one trying to argue but you are the one calling me narrow minded. Very childish.
Old 05/23/2006, 01:10 AM
Pimping the Lady Boys

Whatever you say my friend, go on and spend you money, enjoy.
Old 05/23/2006, 02:10 AM
Member Registered

Still refusing to admit you are wrong. I'll ask again. Got any pics of your LE riddled aquarium?
Old 05/23/2006, 09:58 AM
Premium Member

For those of you bashing closet, I don't belive you read his post clearly. He specifically states that not using gas would crumble modern society.

So, assuming you like your life and society the way it is, you need gas.

It is a closet philosopher's post, don't try to argue against it with common sense, LOL.
Old 05/23/2006, 11:59 AM
why can't i love???

funny we should start a fuel thread somewhere else. as far LE it is a free market and even though i disagree every one has the right to charge and pay what ever they want so have at it.

if you go 10 minutes w/out air...you die.
if you go w/out water for a few days...you die.
if you go w/out food for a few weeks...you die.
if you go w/out shelter for an extended amount of time...you die.
if you go w/out fuel...you...walk!

it's silly to think we could ever give up our cars (me included)...but need is a very strong word that should be replaced by a great desire? a big want? something i do not think i can live with out? not need. i want my car also and would always prefer to walk but never do i want to admit i need fuel.
Old 05/23/2006, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

In "our" society fuel is NEEDED. That is the bottom line. Take it for what you want but it is as simple as that. LE corals are NOT NEEDED as stated in my original post.
I am in the same boat as Al G Benny and would like to see your LE 6" watermelon chalice mummra.
Old 05/23/2006, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

This thread is one of the funniest yet. I dont buy LE's, I don't think anyone should bash those who do or who sell them. It is their choice to do whatever they want. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything. Last ime i checked, we are living in a free society.
Old 05/23/2006, 02:13 PM
who?

Some of the Tyree stuff is pretty nice. A lot of it is 'outdated' (IMHO) to be still calling it 'LE'. I don't have a problem with any of it. The original owner of the coral is getting a lot of advertising for frags that he can now sell at a higher price because they have been put into a national market (via Reef Farmers) and Reef Farmers makes their money on it from those willing to pay.

I think it's also fair to mention that most (if not all) of the current LE's are at least 2nd generation captive corals. When you buy wild corals you never know how it will turn out, sometimes even better than it looked when it came in, sometimes not. Essentially the original owner has taken that variable out of the equation, you know that your coral will look similar under similar captive conditions.

I have purchased one or two LE's in the past, I don't think I have any now (if I do they came from friends, or I owned them before they were 'LE'). I doubt I'll purchase any in the future, mainly because I'm in the middle of California and there is good stuff all over the place out here! (sorry all you land-locked suckas ). Most of my nicest stuff has been free, or nearly free from good friends - but not everyone has that luxury.

Visit our club: NVReefers dot org
Click my red house to visit my blog
Old 05/23/2006, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mummra100769

if you go 10 minutes w/out air...you die.
if you go w/out water for a few days...you die.
if you go w/out food for a few weeks...you die.
if you go w/out shelter for an extended amount of time...you die.
if you go w/out fuel...you...walk!
How do you get your water? Do you get it out of a river? Nope. You have to buy it.

How do you get your food? Do you hunt it or grow it? Nope.
You have to buy it.

How do you have a shelter? Did you build it on free land? Nope.
You have rent or a mortgage.

Where do you get the money to pay for these NEEDS?
With another NEED. GAS.

You my friend my not want to admit it, but you need fuel.

Unless you live with the Amish, or in the wilderness somewhere, you need fuel to survive in this age.

Comparing a need for fuel and a need for corals are comparing Apples to Oranges.

If you didn't NEED fuel, you sure wouldn't have a reef tank. They can't be compared.

You can need Fuel, but not need a coral.

Corals are wants.
For all the people that have the means to read this forum, we need fuel.
Old 05/23/2006, 03:02 PM
Psuedo Member

when you free your mind from the 19th century then talk to me.
Old 05/23/2006, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mummra100769

it's silly to think we could ever give up our cars (me included)...but need is a very strong word that should be replaced by a great desire? a big want? something i do not think i can live with out? not need. i want my car also and would always prefer to walk but never do i want to admit i need fuel.
That is probably the most sensible statement made on this whole “need� for fuel argument this thread. Makes you wonder how all those people live with out a car. Believe me if fuel was gone tomorrow we would survive still. You may not enjoy the new life, but you could still live.
I know a lot of people are going to be upset by me saying this but I’m in a way kind of glad that gas prices are going as high as they are. Not that I enjoy paying $40 every week to fill up my tank, but in the sense of “necessity is the mother of invention�. I think long term that the stress caused by the high fuel prices will drive some to come up with new ways of thinking about things.
Old 05/23/2006, 04:16 PM
Waste Management

Yeah your right i guess I'll tell my 70 year old grandmother to walk to the store to get her grocerys & medication & lug 80 pound worth of grocerys on the back of a bike. Like I said earlier Hurricane season will be hear next month I live in Coral Springs Fl. come on down. Don't speak about what you don't know!
Old 05/23/2006, 04:19 PM
Waste Management

This is a hypothetical topic but to alot of people in Florida & Lousiana it's not.
Old 05/23/2006, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

To be honest I don't think I want your 70 year old grandma driveing for much longer..nor mine while we are at it. Thankfully we almost got talked out of renewing her DL

This is like trying to explain to a crack adict that they don't "need" crack.

Last edited by duec22; 05/23/2006 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05/23/2006, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by duec22
“necessity is the mother of invention�. I think long term that the stress caused by the high fuel prices will drive some to come up with new ways of thinking about things.
I agree with this 100%
Old 05/23/2006, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G Blenny
Did you ever see all of the Ausie reefers posting pics of all of the lords they had when we couldn't get them? That wasn't because they got first pic. Lords were just more common there. Finally the stores, wholesalers, exporters and then collecters saw that there was a market here in the US for them so they started shipping them here. Simple as that.
Just to be clear, it is VERY illegal to ship any kind of coral out of austrailia.
Old 05/23/2006, 07:25 PM
Registered Member.

Amen...RandyO! Just really think about it....our economy would shut down with out fuel! No more imports/exports, hundreds of thousand of jobs lost,no way to defend our country or give aid to other countries,no more food brought to you. We no longer live in a world where we have the choice to do without. yes some would survive, but alot would not!
Old 05/23/2006, 07:52 PM
Member Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by baja_01
Just to be clear, it is VERY illegal to ship any kind of coral out of austrailia.
Of course. I should have clarified that ours are coming from Indo. Even the "Japanese" illegal ones aren't really collected from Japan. They are just the better ones that are smuggled out of Japan. More than likely they are still Indo.
Old 05/23/2006, 09:53 PM
why can't i love???

ok i will now admit that i am 74% amish and have to pray for 18 hrs. every time i use this computer to answer this thread. please forgive me.lol

please no one get mad at the need fuel debate. it was used as a worst case scenerio and let me state again i drive all over the place (sometimes just to visit my dogs in the back yard). i am in no way an eco nut and i am fully aware of how fuel drives our world economy...it's just funny to look at the very stripped down definition of a need and see what few items fit into that definition. i would like to also add that i would feel very bad if any of my posts made any 70 year old grandmas have to lug 80lbs. of any thing any where. if need be i will come pick them up.lol

as far as LE corals both sides are right. they are way to pricey and if you got spend it. what ever makes you happy.