Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 05/21/2005, 04:00 AM
Registered Member

Alright, I gotta get some sleep, I can't believe it's 2AM. I will continue later. Please add your thoughts and share some of your stories with me. As this is the spirit I would like to capture from all the madness that's going on. I think behind every fish tank, there is a story. There is a creative individual that seems to bring out the best in these creatures. The results reflects who we are not how much we spent. God knows how much I blew over the years.

One word, Dedication. Please share your humble stories, I'll listen as I've seen you have taken the time to read this far.

vu....
Old 05/21/2005, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

Great looking tank! You've got some amazing corals in there.

My 150 gallon also cracked and completely drained. What was the dimensions of the tank that broke? Mine was 48"x30"wide 24"tall and was a custom build from Glasscages. The bottom glass was 1/2" thick. The stand was poorly designed, so I blame that mainly.

I just finished setting up my new 150 about a week ago.
Old 05/21/2005, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

Randy,

Thanks man. The other tank was also 60x24x24. It was Sunday morning when I noticed a small leak at the top of the tank, so I went out and got some glue to patch it up. Well, when I woke up at 2AM after hearing leaking noise, it has split down the front right side of the tank and there was about 3-4 inches of water left in the tank. Luckily I moved quick and thanks to my 90g sump, I was able to saved most of my valuable coral. I worked all night and day to get a new tank set up. I think when I was done it was 12AM the next day.

I have a very good sense of sound, so if I wasn't aware of things, I would have lost everything. That would have ended everything for me. As you know, it takes a while to build up a collection like this. Lucky for me, it didn't turn out that way.

Randy, I've seen you post a lot about your fast eating Acan, can you share a few stories. By the way, I got this guy from George(Geofloors), John told me that they all come from your original acan. Is that true? This guy turns out pretty nice for me.

Randy to help you out, this was how it looks like when I got it.

Last edited by vpham24; 05/21/2005 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05/21/2005, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

I got this piece from Marlooney. It was 2-3 polyps when he cut it up for me. It was suppose to be blue. Where's the blue go.

Old 05/21/2005, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

My first micro, thanks to Chris Pasko. It still look the same, I haven't seen any growth. Am I doing something wrong? It's beautiful though, just wish it would grow faster.

Old 05/21/2005, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

Old school time. This was my first tank. It was an 80g,VHO lights with a rubbermaid sump. As you can see, it filled up pretty quick. I spent $500 on rocks that wasn't cured. My house stinks for the entire two weeks while it was sitting in a big plastic box for curing. It's pretty hard to stack rocks that are big, I didn't want to break it so it looks like a big wall. The rocks itself filled up the tank, I think I had about 3-4 inches left between the front glass and the rocks. If you notice, I have an outside overflow, bad idea. As it would lose suction a lot and I would get water spilled. The good thing is that my floor is tile, if it was on the carpet, it would have been costly.

Old 05/21/2005, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

I like to get this fish, but it always hides behind the rocks and what's the point if you can't see it. So I stopped getting them.

Old 05/21/2005, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

This guy seems to be living the longest. I had the white flower pot and it would just die within a few months. This red one seems to thrive pretty well.

Old 05/21/2005, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

One lonely polyp.

Then comes some brothers and sisters. It's great to see how they grow so fast. Recommendation, LOTS and LOTS of feeding.
Old 05/21/2005, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

I still don't know what this is. but it turns out pretty nice, the mouth is white, with green rings. Notice a closeup in the second picture. Any idea what it is?

Old 05/21/2005, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

I just found an old picture of this one. When my tank crashed, some of these guys don't like to have to go through with the changes much. So as you can see, they'll tell you they're not happy.

This is how it looks now.
Old 05/21/2005, 09:38 PM
Ready For Some Football

amazing stuff!

Old 05/21/2005, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

I got this one when it was 1 polyp. about an inch long and 1/2 inch wide. Look at it now. This thing grow as fast if not faster than some of my lord.

Old 05/21/2005, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

When I first got this, it was suppose to be yellow. To find out later it was probably painted, but it turns out pretty nice. I like the green.

Old 05/21/2005, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

How about a fish from a move that inspire all of this.

Old 05/21/2005, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

Man....you are on a roll there bro ....

Nice pics! Wish you are closer to me so you can give me a hand feeding them babies.....

Good job taking care of them acans....

John
Old 05/21/2005, 11:02 PM
Moved On

your "humble" tank looks killer!

We may have to come see it in person
Old 05/21/2005, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

John,

FEDEX delivers door to door. I feel sorry for those starving AFRICAN acans of yours. Feed them some rice man.

Bugsy714, thanks, now, how about sharing some stories of your own. When we post a picture, the OOHs and AAHs only last a short period of time. Having a little story to go with it will last longer. What do you think?

Yes you are so right, it's been soooo hot, feels like summer. My chiller has been working very hard lately.

vu...
Old 05/22/2005, 02:35 AM
Registered Member

My buddy VA_REEFMAN called me up one day and asked me if I was interested in some Japanese acan, he got the hook up. Well, I asked for some pix and was unsure about it cause the darn thing was so expensive. Well I ended up getting 3 different frags. When I visited John in Virginia in December, it all looked so happy. I want to bring it home with me after the trip. Well eventually I got it delivered by the FEDEX man. But then I lost two of them, I was so sad. Here is one piece that I would love to have survived.

This is how it suppose to look. My buddy got two polyps, looks pretty healthy. This is his picture. Mine was a gonner cause my Tangs were into expensive acan sushi.

I left these two to va_reefman.

So here is my only frag left from that purchase. Needless to say, I stopped buying them after that. It wasn't about spending the money, it was losing something so beautiful, that sucks. I'm sure most of you have been through that. But I'm happy now.
Old 05/22/2005, 03:15 AM
Registered Member

The weather has been so nice here lately in Southern California, even my flowers are actually happy and smiling.

Old 05/22/2005, 03:40 AM
Registered Member

Here's a story of survival. This guy went through the tough time by bleaching until it turns translucent. As you can see in the first picture.

Then recently it returns back to it old self again. This guy remains bleached for about 8 months. Just recently, I started to feed it. Seems pretty healthy now.

Old 05/22/2005, 03:46 AM
Registered Member

Now I'm not much of a stick kinda guy, but when someone give you something, why turn it down. Since it's not an LPS, well, I hope you can let it go this time.

I got this when it looked like this. I didn't really care for it too much so I just left it there and soon enough, as time passes, I didn't even notice the changes. Until I saw old photos of it. Here is a picture of what it looked like when I got it.

Left by itself, the stick grew branches.

While I'm at it, here's another one. It's an encrusting monti, I dig these guys. The encrusting ones.
Old 05/22/2005, 03:53 AM
Registered Member

How about this moon coral. Doesn't it look like RandyO's red/gray acan with the huge polyps? I wonder if I can still ebay this as an Acanthastrea Lordhowensis. What do you guys think? Hahahaha. If you don't know what I mean, let me explain. When the whole acan crazed took off, people were taking advantage of the demands, so they begin ebaying anything that looks like a polyp as acan. Favia were ebay as acan a lot. Wow, those were the days huh. I hope people are more educated about it now.

Old 05/22/2005, 04:37 AM
Registered Member

You must have heck of janitorial job, where can I send my resume?

Great looking tank, pics, thanks for sharing and keep them coming if you have more!
Old 05/22/2005, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vpham24
Randy,

Randy, I've seen you post a lot about your fast eating Acan, can you share a few stories. By the way, I got this guy from George(Geofloors), John told me that they all come from your original acan. Is that true? This guy turns out pretty nice for me.

At your request, I'll add a few stories.

This was my first Acan. I got it back in December 2002 as a 5 polyp frag. I did not have a digi camera until January and this shot if from February 2003. I had this coral in the back of my aquarium, so I don't have a good shot of it. This image had to be zoomed, and the quality was lost.

Here it is around August 2003.

January 2005

These are pictures of my Red and Gray Acanthastrea. They can look very different from each other under different lighting setups. Even in the same tank they can look very different if one piece is up higher than the other.
That pink color you've achieved is a new one for me. I haven't seen it turn into that under any of my lighting setups.
Good job.