Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling

Old 08/21/2007, 02:45 AM
Registered Member

PADI, SDI or SSI certifications?

Hello to all,

After about 4 years of maintaing reef tanks, I'm taking the plunge to take up Scuba classes and becomming certified. So far I'm hearing that all the certs are basically the same. I live in the East Bay of the Bay Area and Captain Aqua's is just around the corner.

Can anyone give me back some feedback on their experiences with SCUBA certs? Any info would be great, I already have about 5 friends that want to take the plunge with me.

Thanks,

Mike Guerrero
Old 08/21/2007, 08:37 AM
Master Scuba Certified

The cert agencys are all about the same...and you will hear people rag on all of them off and on but the important thing is that you find a good qualified instructor that is also a good teacher!!! When you find that instructor go for it....

I know that each cert agency has some good instructors!!!

"A Lasting Work Requires Extensive Preparation" -- Douglas Rumford

http://www.myspace.com/masterdiver1
Old 08/21/2007, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Ron,

I'm leaning more on SSI since it's around the corner from my house and the owner of the shop was patient and not pushy.

Another dive shop does PADI and SDI and was a little pushy to get me to sign up, not to mention he's on the other side of the bay.

I've posted on other reef forums and PADI is comming up the most used and suggested.

Do you know anyone that is SSI certified?

Mike
Old 08/21/2007, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

I agree with Ron. It's really who you feel comfotable with. I'm SSI and so is everyone I know except maybe one person.
Old 08/21/2007, 06:16 PM
Master Scuba Certified

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeguerrero
Thanks Ron,

I'm leaning more on SSI since it's around the corner from my house and the owner of the shop was patient and not pushy.

Another dive shop does PADI and SDI and was a little pushy to get me to sign up, not to mention he's on the other side of the bay.

I've posted on other reef forums and PADI is comming up the most used and suggested.

Do you know anyone that is SSI certified?

Mike
Oh, yes... I know people certified in almost all of the groups including the old YMCA certs....

SSI is fine, PADI is fine, and so are the rest...again it is all about good instruction and training...and the instructor is the key. The instructor needs to take the time to make sure you are getting it and the instructor needs to be interested in you, and your safety...makeing sure you are understanding the concepts of diving, that you are learning your skills, etc....

Find one that you are confident in, ask around to find out if there have been any issues with that instructor and when you find a good one go for it!!!

Hope to see you in the water soon!!!!

Old 08/22/2007, 12:49 AM
Registered Member

Ron and fellow reefers,

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I took the plunge and signed myself up for SSI certification at Captain Aqua's in Hayward CA....

My decision came in play from all the feedback I got from the forums and the professionalism of Captain Aqua's....

They were also a lot cheaper than the competitors and still offered just as much....

Wish me luck...

MG
Old 08/22/2007, 01:37 AM
Master Scuba Certified

Let us know how it goes....and when you get your cert....we will have to do some dives...although you are a long way away from me if you are up in the bay area...I am in the Phoenix Valley....But get over to the southern parts of your state....

Old 08/24/2007, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

don't forget NAUI certs as well. SSI and SDI are more west coast than PADI and NAUI. living in florida i would say i know 60% padi 38% naui and 2% SSI and SDI
Old 08/24/2007, 10:11 PM
Master Scuba Certified

NAUI also has some very good instructors!!!

Old 08/26/2007, 03:19 AM
Registered Member

Mike...Good luck keep us posted on your progress....Have fun....Getting certified and diving is AMAZING, especially for those of us into the fish hobby too...
Old 08/26/2007, 02:48 PM
Premium Member

I am SSI Certified along with TDI for technical diving and have been very please with the instructors and the curriculam. PADI is the best known in the world but SSI is just as good if not better in the area of the actual materials. PADI has done themselves an injustice in my opinion by going to web based instruction then just having to go to a Dive Shop/Operator to do the actual open water dives. I just do not believe that you can gain the understanding and repect for the sport from a web based test. You need to have actual classroom interaction and discussion with a good instructor. Anyone can get certified by an agency, but that does not make you a competent diver. That only comes with experience and practice.

Glad to see you took the plunge though, I think you will really enjoy it. It is just about the only place I find serenity. Cell phones and pagers do not work at 100 feet under the ocean

WreckDiver
aka: CyBrSuFr
Old 08/26/2007, 03:31 PM
Master Scuba Certified

I would agree that I personally would rather get my certs done the old fashioned way...class room at the dive shop senario.... but not everyone needs that...the dives and skills part are still done at the pool and the open water part of the training is still done the old way as well... I wouldn't go as far as saying PADI has done themselves an injustice...but I do understand your point and it is well taken...

Again... I think the instructor is the most important part of the diving equation... and all agencies have some good ones and some that aren't so good!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by cybrsufr
I am SSI Certified along with TDI for technical diving and have been very please with the instructors and the curriculam. PADI is the best known in the world but SSI is just as good if not better in the area of the actual materials. PADI has done themselves an injustice in my opinion by going to web based instruction then just having to go to a Dive Shop/Operator to do the actual open water dives. I just do not believe that you can gain the understanding and repect for the sport from a web based test. You need to have actual classroom interaction and discussion with a good instructor. Anyone can get certified by an agency, but that does not make you a competent diver. That only comes with experience and practice.

Glad to see you took the plunge though, I think you will really enjoy it. It is just about the only place I find serenity. Cell phones and pagers do not work at 100 feet under the ocean

WreckDiver

Old 08/26/2007, 05:27 PM
Premium Member

I agree with you 100% and still think PADI is an outstanding organization, however, By bringing the testing and instructional material to a web based format still (in my opinion) makes it appear that it is a 100% safe activity and would think it would lead to a feeling of over confidence in students. Then when they get to the Pool/OW part of the certification, they may not be able to do it as well. At least with the Face to Face instruction, as an instructor you can get a feeling if someone is really up to the task or not before they get to the actual skills tests. It also lets the instructor get a "Gut" feeling as to who in the class is going to need the extra help. Being an IT Security Engineer, I deal with all aspects of computer networks all the time and some things just are not geared toward web based training. In my opinion, Scuba Diving is one of those things that should not be taught over the web. As you stated though, the instructor is the key. It does not matter what agency it is through as long as the instructor is top notch.

WreckDiver
Old 08/26/2007, 06:14 PM
Master Scuba Certified

Yes, I know that there will be those issues...it may prove to be more work in the long run...especially for the instructors... I know that padi's work now is done at home then they go over it in class... the testing is also done in class...so the instructor plays an important role that way... PADI may find their instructors complaining about this...but school is still out, it hasn't been going that long to get any real results yet... If I were just going for my cert today...I personally would still chose the classroom setting!!!

Old 08/30/2007, 03:13 AM
Registered Member

Wow,

All your input is great. Yesterday night I finished reading the last chapter in the SSI open water book. I have completed each review section of the book, it was kinda of difficult since you had to search for each specific answer from the chapter.

In other words the chapter review is fill in and not multiple choice so it makes it more challanging in that they want you to remember content from the reading. I found it at first annoying since it requires a lot of time to go back and find the exact phrase.

Nevertheless I was able to answer every single question. The SSI kit also comes with a great mulitmedia DVD that goes over the exact chapter you just read. The DVD is full of nice video with all updated equipment and a great narrator.

Another thing to point out is that you must fill in on a separate sheet all your answers and when I have class the instructor will go over all my answers making sure I got them all correct.

I originally wanted to take the test online so PADI and SDI were on the front running. But after talking to my local shop and being old school with classroom style learning I opted to go with SSI.

They are all book with lots of reading; easy reading but lots of it. The test is going to be 50 multiple choice questions timed and having to obtain 80 percent or higher.

I hate exams just the classroom setting makes me turn the other cheek so I wanted the online test, no pressure and can take my time.

Well, things turned out for me to go SSI and so far so good. I will keep you all posted as I continue my training.

Mike G
Old 08/30/2007, 09:23 AM
Master Scuba Certified

Sounds like you are moving right along!!! Congrats.... and Let us know when we have a new dive buddy!!! LOL

Old 08/31/2007, 11:13 AM
Registered Member

I've got a question well maybe more than one question:

Which fin should I go with?

Oceanic Vortex V12 Split fin : $159

or

Atomics Aquatic Split Fin : $179

-----------------------------------------------------

Oceanic frameless shadow mask $64

or

Atomics Aquatic frameless mask $89
Old 08/31/2007, 11:28 AM
Premium Member

I would go with the Atomics for both, unless you can get ScubaPro. Then I would go with the ScubaPro Frameless and a pair of TwinJets. the ScubaPro products have the BEST warranty of ANY scuba products. Atomic would be my second choice since the company was founded by two ex-ScubaPro employees. The products are so similar that the Atomic first stage can use the same repair kit as the ScubaPro MK25

WreckDiver
Old 08/31/2007, 12:44 PM
Keeper of Tangs

good luck its a blast!! heaven on earth is diving.
Old 08/31/2007, 06:09 PM
Master Scuba Certified

I would go with the Atomics also!!! I really like mine!!!

Old 08/31/2007, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

Well Reefers,

The votes came in and I went with the Atomic line. I'm going to be sporting a red/black style in my reefing domain.

I took these pictures to commence my underwater journey.

More pics to come as I add to my water world.

Old 08/31/2007, 11:59 PM
Master Scuba Certified

Ooooooooooooo.....very nice!!!! Great looking gear there!!!!

Old 09/01/2007, 12:20 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cybrsufr
The products are so similar that the Atomic first stage can use the same repair kit as the ScubaPro MK25

WreckDiver

says who? Perhaps some of the orings are the same, but the HP seat is totally different....hmm Ill have to check the old piston style before they switched to the jet seat... I still dont think they are the same. Besides the Atomics rebuild kits comes with about 4 times the oring as the crappy Scubapro kits do. Both regs are very good though! Only think I dont like about Atomics is they tend to honk alot on exhalation...

as for training http://www.5thd-x.com/ the website is down right now so I couldn't get the address or number for you, but Andrew Georgitsis is one of THE best instructors out there. I know they do tech training, but I think they also offer basic training like advanced open water and nitrox... hth.
good call on the gear (other than later get rid of the snorkel and split fins, get some old style jets!)
Old 09/01/2007, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

Very nice. I like that color, it's easy to see!!
Old 09/01/2007, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scubajsm
Very nice. I like that color, it's easy to see!!
yeah but only shallow... I really learned about color loss at depth during a rescue class, I was the gear handler, and the class couldn't find the body ( they figured out that 3 people swimming single file done see as much as 3 divers swimming wing on wing....) anyhow I went down to find the diver. I knew the diver was wearing a red diverite wing and harness and other assorted red gear. We were ~30-40
when I saw this guy who I thought was "the body" nope that cant be him, he is wearing all black.... wait a minute..... it was him... I personally have a really slick black and red custom wetsuit. Looks pretty sweet on the boat, but when Im at depth Im wearing all black.

You chose good quality recreational gear, no doubt! And youll look sexy on the dive boats!