Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/09/2006, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

Ro/DI Membrane Thin film Filmetch 100g/d any good?

Hi, I'm having trouble to find a RO/Di unit at a decent price in the Montreal area. I found a 5 stage unit with Membrane Thin film Filmetch 100 G/d for 166$ CDN.

Good membrane? I don't know much about RO/DI units. Thanks
Old 08/09/2006, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

Dow Filmtec is probably the best membrane out there, but go with something below 100 gpd. Like a 75 gpd. The rejection rate on a 100 gpd is 90% whereas the rejection rate on a 75 gpd is 99%. Hope I got this right. www.buckeyefieldsupply.com will give you lots of info. Also try the Typhoon III from www.airwaterice.com
Old 08/09/2006, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

Good links, thanks. I definitly want a 75 gpd now. I don't need much and the DI cartridge will last longer. I wonder if airwaterice ships to Canada, it doesn't say on their website. I have to email them. I could drink the RO water and save on Brita filter ( my water taste like the lake).

Melev sells a good unit as well I think.

The Shrimp Guy!
Old 08/09/2006, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

Spectrapure's Spectra select have a 98% rejection rate or greater they test and reject ones under 98% you pay a few bucks extra but that bottom line guarentee of 96% on the 75gph dow filtec is the lowes rejection allowed to pass thru inspection.

http://spectrapure.com/St_replac_p3.htm
Old 08/09/2006, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

Here is the encapsulated for cheaper

http://spectrapure.com/St_MEM-ENC-75.htm
Old 08/09/2006, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

Seems like good stuff but I don't have a unit yet so I dont see any use of getting a replacement mebrane now.

The Shrimp Guy!
Old 08/10/2006, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

Airwaterice and the filterguys don't ship to Canada. The spectrapure 5 stages unit is a bit expenssive for me ( with exchange rate + shipping). Waiting to see if Melev ships here.

The Shrimp Guy!
Old 08/10/2006, 10:26 PM
Team RC Member

The Aquasafe Canada units would not be my first choice but they do ship to Canada. They use an Applied Membranes RO membrane which is constructed out of Dow Filmtec materials. Its not quite as efficient as a Dow but will produce about the same amount of water at the same pressure. They call them 100 GPD but thats at 60 psi. A Dow says 75 GPD but thats at 50 psi and at 60 they make the same 100 GPD. The pre an carbon filters are a little less quality but will suffice until the first time you need to change them and you can order better at that time. I would eventually replace the DI but again it works until you can improve it. Its not a bad unit it just could be a little better.
Living in Arizona I never realized the hassle involved with shipping to Canada or being able to purchase from the states. I feel your pain.
Old 08/11/2006, 09:42 AM
Registered Member

Ok, I checked the ebaystore for Aquasafe canada. Pretty cheap! What is the 6th stage used for? Not clear to me. From the pictures it seems to be the same unit My LFS is selling (5 stages). I might be better off getting it from the LFS and save the hassle of shipping and dealing with ebay-paypal. Easier on the replacement as well, in case something is wrong with the unit.

Buckeyefieldsupply ships to Canada. Their 5 stages 75gpd unit is nicely priced and it uses Filmtec. Seems to be a good product.

The Shrimp Guy!
Old 08/11/2006, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

The 6th stage is usually to add taste back to the water for drinking or a secondary DI unit.
Old 08/11/2006, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

thanks.

The Shrimp Guy!
Old 08/11/2006, 10:04 AM
Team RC Member

If you can get the Buckeye Premium series I would jump on it. Russ is a really nice guy and takes care of his customers well.
Old 08/11/2006, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

The Buckeye Premium line is a 4 stages unit. Don't we need a 5 stages unit like their chloramin special unit?

The Shrimp Guy!
Old 08/11/2006, 01:34 PM
Team RC Member

If you know your utility in fact uses chloramines then you want an additional granular catalytic carbon cartridge ahead of your 1 mircon carbon block. If you don't have chloramines you really won't benefit that much by having it.
Old 08/12/2006, 08:21 AM
Registered Member

Buckeye does ship to Canada
Old 08/12/2006, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

Yes they do , they replied to my email. It's now down to 3 choices left.

Some units (Aquasafe Canada for example) have a GAC carbon (not catalytic) after the carbon block. What does it do? Extra filtering before the membrane?

The Shrimp Guy!
Old 08/12/2006, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

There are some odd configurations out there in the marketplace - including GAC after the DI.

Remember that extra stages doesn't necessarily equate to a better system.

Look into the quality of the carbon block - blocks are much better than standard GAC in removing VOC's, and not all carbon blocks are created equal.
Old 08/15/2006, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

I ended up ordering the 75gpd Premium from Buckeye. It was a close call against their value unit.

The Shrimp Guy!