Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/12/2004, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

How much flow

How much flow would you use for a 120 gal. cube? All three types of coral will be in the tank.
Old 07/17/2004, 10:03 PM
Premium Member

starting a 135 gal. cube myself i am planning for 1000-1400 but still not sure

so
bump
Old 07/18/2004, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

On my planned 120, I'll be pushing around 1500gph on the sump return, and 4500gph on the closed loop. That's about 50x turnover just in the display tank.
Since my sump will house more than half of my live rock, I'll probably have a Mak4 pushing 1100gph around in the sump on a CL just to keep the rock stirred up.
Then I will have a large fuge, possible either one of the large 150gal rubbermaid tubs, or 3-4 30gal rubbermaid tubs stacked vertically, pushing about 1500gph through that.
I'm going to use the same pump for the sump return and for the feed line into the refugium setup - this pump is 3500gph, so I should have some leftover which I will just loop back into the sump for more flow there.
That seems like alot of flow which is just what I want. The display tank will be BB so I don't want alot to settle down to the bottom.
All of this is still on the drawing board, but I think I have narrowed it all down to what I just said. The closed loop pump will likely be a Sequence ReeFlo Stingray (4500gph) and the sump return/fuge feed will be a Sequence ReeFlo Dart (3500gph).

Hope that helps... it helped me as this is the first time I've wrote down how I want to do it. LOL

Cordell
Old 07/18/2004, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

dude that is some serious circulation :O
Old 07/18/2004, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

I putting together a 150G with a closed loop run by a Sequence Hammerhead with an Oceanmotins 4-way on top feeding 4 spray bars with 8, 1/4" holes in each spray bar, about 5400GPH. My sump will be Sequence Dart running 2, 3/4" Sea Swirls about 1700GPH

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07/19/2004, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

Man..

and I thought I had alot of flow.