Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/18/2005, 06:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by moonpod
You know it's funny how people keep coming back to comparing the SEIOs to the streams. The reality is features aside, the Stream is just a phenomenal pump in terms of output vs wattage consumed. Now there are issues. The mounting system is....odd, but now with the magnet mounts has pretty much been solved. They are fairly large. the electrical hook up is bulky. But, those things produce FLOW. Nothing against the SEIOs, but they are not in the same ballpark. I was also a beta tester of the SEIOs and I think they are a fine product. But you just can't compare 'em to the Streams. It's like comparing the minor leagues to the pros. It's a new dimension. Similarly it's a whole new price dimension as well. That's the reality. at the pricepoint the SEIO cannot be beaten. But don't try to compare it to a stream. Once you've run 'em side by side, you'll see the difference. It's just an unfortunate reality that the pricepoint is extreme. Course the streams got nothin' on the red dragon pumps in terms of price....
Yeah, I'm definitely a fan of the SEIO's, but I never try to compare them directly with Tunze streams. I know full well the streams are simply awesome pumps. Super quality, super reliable, etc. I can't imagine using something besides my Tunze Osmolator, it's a superb product.

But yeah, as I said before, at the pricepoint you can get the SEIO's at, I'm willing to take a step backwards in terms of build quality. You definitely get what you pay for with the Tunze products. I've toyed with the idea of dual 6100 streams with a controller, but I just haven't been able to justify the price to myself. I really hope they release a controller for the SEIO's, but I'm not holding my breathe. I can get along fine with the SEIO's and my Chauvet timer. In this hobby, I tend to go for either the best possible thing I can get, or the best bang for the buck, and I think you get tremendous bang for the buck with the SEIO's.
Old 01/18/2005, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by slanky
I can get along fine with the SEIO's and my Chauvet timer. In this hobby, I tend to go for either the best possible thing I can get, or the best bang for the buck, and I think you get tremendous bang for the buck with the SEIO's.
I agree 100%. I take the same route.
Old 01/18/2005, 08:34 PM
Phosphorus Delendus Est

Quote:
Originally posted by MacnReef
Now, once the controller comes out, things will change. I am sure the controller will be about $200 maybe a little less. . . . .Thats pretty good. Hopefully they will take some of the features from the Tunze's and put it on their controllers.
Mike
I would love to see that but how are they going to "controll" an AC motor?? I mean can it be done???

I have 2 620s on my 55g and I am going to add 2 MJ900s on a Chauvert soon.

I am waiting patiently for the controller, but I'm not holding my breath on it doing more than the Red Sea.

Please prove me wrong Taam.

Jim

55g AGA RR, 15H Sump
Euroreef ES5-2 Skimmer
2 SEIO 620 PH, MJ 900 PH
Mag 7 Return Pump
CPR Aquafuge 18 w/ Cheato
216w T5 (IceCap 660/SLRs)
Old 01/18/2005, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

If you're looking for some serious flow and want to save some money, one thing to consider would be to place a Stream on the opposite diagonal end of a tank relative to an eductor outlet. If it's a 6060 or 6080, just turn the Stream on and off every hour or vary the flow with a 6000, 6100 or 6200. This way, you only need to purchase one Stream. Right now, I have two 6080s (I'm waiting on a transformer upgrade for my 6000) and an eductor powered by a PanWorld 100PX and the water flow in my tank is very turbulent. Yes, the Streams are expensive, but I think they're worth the cost in terms of power, reliability and ease of servicing. I also use a 6060 on my 50-gallon refugium with Caulerpa prolifera to hamper the growth of any slime or turf algae.
I'll find my soul as I go home
Old 01/18/2005, 09:07 PM
Fish Addict

Actually, IME, the most "bang for the buck" flow system is a surge, BUT that of course leads to problems with where to situate the surge bucket and the bubble issue. You could try a reverse carlson system, but those really need to be in the tank when you set it up. Can't really be "retrofitted" easily.
Old 01/18/2005, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

I posted a surge device with no bubbles, but it would need to be scaled up for a big tank.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...postid=4116486
I was thinking of using my whole refugium as a surge and just not letting it empty past half way. I'm still waiting for the seio controller before I buy another seio.
Old 01/18/2005, 10:22 PM
Fish Addict

dude that's ghetto....I like it. I also like the refugium surge idea. I'm thinking about these things for my next tank as surges are really, really cool IMO as low energy cost effective methods for generating flow, but there are technical issues such as....placing a large resevoir above your tank without it being unsightly, etc....
Old 01/18/2005, 10:31 PM
troublemaker

Moonpod, could not agree more. That surge has had my mind churning for a while ... it's great.

I agree with the opinion on stream vs Seio ... but for us smaller tank folks - I'd only turn the stream on 50-60% anyway.

That said ... it's on my list
Old 01/19/2005, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

I like the two 820s that I put in my tank a few months back. But now both of the impeller shafts are broken because I was too ruff when I tried to clean them. So where are we able to get replacement shafts at?

cordell
Old 01/21/2005, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

Just got my 1100 and 1500 running for about 24 hours now. 1100 is just a tad bigger and srtong then the 820. 1500 is awesome in strength but is noticably bigger and heavier the 820. All in all, I am happy with the purchase and I'am sure the corals will be as well.

Q: On the new models, the magnet on the empeller is not wrap in black plastic like the 820's. Will it rust or leak impurities into the water?
Old 02/15/2005, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

So anyone know when the seio 2600 is going to come out?
Old 02/15/2005, 07:50 PM
Moved On

Location: Los Angeles - Where the Sun Grows Frags All Year Long :)
Hey guys,

Just an update on the upcoming SEIO's.

The new controller and variable speed SEIO's are not yet headed for market. There are a couple of issues that are not yet resolved.

For those folks with smaller tanks, I saw the SEIO 220 - This thing is perfect for Nano tanks. Not sure how soon it is going to be in the market place, they wanted to try to boost it to 300 gph.

Dave B
Old 02/15/2005, 07:50 PM
Moved On

Hey guys,

Just an update on the upcoming SEIO's.

The new controller and variable speed SEIO's are not yet headed for market. There are a couple of issues that are not yet resolved.

For those folks with smaller tanks, I saw the SEIO 220 - This thing is perfect for Nano tanks. Not sure how soon it is going to be in the market place, they wanted to try to boost it to 300 gph.

Dave B
Old 02/15/2005, 07:57 PM
Premium Member

Dave B, any ETA on when they are coming to market and if they will be compatible with the SEIO 620/820/1100/1500/2600?

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 02/15/2005, 08:21 PM
Parrotfish in Mexico

I'm in a huge minority, but I've not been impressed with my Tunze 6080.

It failed every 2 months, had to let it sit for a day to get it to work again. Not a "deposit" issue though I keep it clean. It's latest trick is a voltage leak, tripped my GFI several days running, knocking out my lights. I had it cycling on and off 3 times a day, it obviously can't handle that, even though they tell you you can cycle hourly.

Now it trips any/every GFI I plug it into, it's not going back in my tank. I've got a Seio 1500 coming. I can buy 3 of these for the price of a single 6080----VW is fine, don't need the Audi.

I'm using two eductors on an ocean motions 4way plumbed 2 way, produces some very decent flow by itself.

John
Old 02/15/2005, 08:21 PM
Moved On

Thrlride,

Read the third line of my post :

"are not yet headed for market"

Till they get the last couple of issues resolved, there will be no way to determine a delivery time.

I do know that they have the board manufacturing lined up, so once these issues are resolved build time will begin almost instantly.

Dave B
Old 02/15/2005, 08:31 PM
Premium Member

cool, thanks o2manyfish.

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 02/15/2005, 08:45 PM
Moved On

Thrl,

I just reread response to you -- If I sounded prickish - I apologize

Dave B
Old 02/15/2005, 08:53 PM
Phosphorus Delendus Est

Quote:
Originally posted by o2manyfish
Thrlride,

Read the third line of my post :
"are not yet headed for market"
Till they get the last couple of issues resolved, there will be no way to determine a delivery time.
I do know that they have the board manufacturing lined up, so once these issues are resolved build time will begin almost instantly.
Dave B
Is the plan still to have these work with the current SEIOs or will the controller only work with the the newer "variable speed" (I'm reading DC motors into that) SEIOs?

TIA

55g AGA RR, 15H Sump
Euroreef ES5-2 Skimmer
2 SEIO 620 PH, MJ 900 PH
Mag 7 Return Pump
Old 02/15/2005, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

Are these issues that are likely to be worked out soon like a supplier issue, or is it design flaw?
Old 02/15/2005, 09:02 PM
Moved On

Okay,

Let me try to answer these without getting painted or fragged into a corner.

1) The pumps are AC

2) The issues are an issue of long term functionality. So first they have to find a way to resolve the problem, then it has to be tested. Then things will start rolling right away.

These problems are being actively worked on on both sides of the Pacific, although yesterday was Chinese New Years, while this affects production (apparently New Years warrants a month+ party) it will not affect the R&D work.

Dave B
Old 02/15/2005, 09:11 PM
Phosphorus Delendus Est

Quote:
Originally posted by o2manyfish
Okay,

1) The pumps are AC

. . . . . .

Dave B
Thanks for your answers. I just didn't think you could "control" an AC powered pump.

But, then again, I'm not an electrical engineer so, what do I know.

Can't wait for them to come out!!

55g AGA RR, 15H Sump
Euroreef ES5-2 Skimmer
2 SEIO 620 PH, MJ 900 PH
Mag 7 Return Pump
Old 02/15/2005, 09:38 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by dsp78213
Thanks for your answers. I just didn't think you could "control" an AC powered pump.

But, then again, I'm not an electrical engineer so, what do I know.

Can't wait for them to come out!!
I know in the A/C business we use something called a "Variable Frequency Drive" that softstarts, speeds up, and slows down motors from 10 Hp up to 200 Hp. That's also with 3 phase 480vac, so it can be done.

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 02/15/2005, 10:14 PM
Phosphorus Delendus Est

Quote:
Originally posted by Konadog
I know in the A/C business we use something called a "Variable Frequency Drive" that softstarts, speeds up, and slows down motors from 10 Hp up to 200 Hp. That's also with 3 phase 480vac, so it can be done.
Great. I just kept hearing folks say that Taam had to be pulling everyones leg because you couldn't control an AC motor. I just know enough to dispute that "fact."

Can't wait till they come out!!! Let's go TAAM!!!

55g AGA RR, 15H Sump
Euroreef ES5-2 Skimmer
2 SEIO 620 PH, MJ 900 PH
Mag 7 Return Pump
Old 02/16/2005, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drtango
I'm in a huge minority, but I've not been impressed with my Tunze 6080.

It failed every 2 months, had to let it sit for a day to get it to work again. Not a "deposit" issue though I keep it clean. It's latest trick is a voltage leak, tripped my GFI several days running, knocking out my lights. I had it cycling on and off 3 times a day, it obviously can't handle that, even though they tell you you can cycle hourly.

Now it trips any/every GFI I plug it into, it's not going back in my tank. I've got a Seio 1500 coming. I can buy 3 of these for the price of a single 6080----VW is fine, don't need the Audi.

I'm using two eductors on an ocean motions 4way plumbed 2 way, produces some very decent flow by itself.

John
drtango,
That really surprises me. I've ran Tunze pumps for years and have had streams since they've come out (including 6080) They always run perfect and I rarely clean them, did I just say that out loud?

You should contact Roger in the Tunze forum. I sure he will take care of you. Not saying anything negitive about SEIO's here.

o2manyfish,
Dave, good to see you back on RC.