Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/12/2004, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

The seio comes with a suction cup mount so there is no need to use a maxijet mount. Also i've seen someone using a Tunze use a maxijet suction cup mount to avoid the crappy mounting brackets for the tunze's.

Quote:
Originally posted by johns
Sorry to be acting a bit impatient here. But this thread has gotten to be 27 pages long!

Would anyone be kind enought to re-iterate how to use the maxijet mounts for the new seio? or even better, maybe just indicate on which page of this thread it was discussed.

thanks
Old 07/12/2004, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

I think the point of the thing zane is that suction cups are no good. They eventually give out and can cause damage to your reef especially with a deep sand bed.

Peace,
John H.
Old 07/12/2004, 02:55 PM
Premium Member

Looking for opinions... I'm pondering replacing a bunch of Maxi-jets with a few of these Seio's.

I currently have a 90g mixed reef with fish, etc. I don't want the current too strong for the little guys, but I do have some SPS, etc.

Would everyone suggest two of the 620's or two of the 820's?
Old 07/12/2004, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

I would suggest the 820s. The 620s may be a little small for a 90.
Old 07/12/2004, 03:05 PM
Premium Member

Cool, I was leaning toward the 820's, but want to make sure I'm not gonna freak my poor fish out
Old 07/12/2004, 03:10 PM
troublemaker

If they're fish from a reef ... this is puny flow.
[in my opinion]
Old 07/12/2004, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

I wonder if the suction cups will be sold to replace them every few months. I've had mine for a month and the cups seem to be ok so far.
Old 07/12/2004, 04:06 PM
Premium Member

Ok, just ordered two of the 820's from marinedepot and they matched custom aquatics price of $46.99, so for 94 bucks, I got two on the way

Hopefully I like them better than the 4 maxi-jets they are replacing. Plus I'm interested in the upcoming controller for them.

Is there a pricepoint yet on the controller?
Old 07/12/2004, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by slanky
Looking for opinions... I'm pondering replacing a bunch of Maxi-jets with a few of these Seio's.

I currently have a 90g mixed reef with fish, etc. I don't want the current too strong for the little guys, but I do have some SPS, etc.

Would everyone suggest two of the 620's or two of the 820's?
I put two of the 820's in my 90, one in each back corner aiming towards the middle front. Along with my return which is maybe 800? gph(Blueline 1100) after splitting through a SCWD I get plenty of flow in my tank. I don't have any sps but I had to move around some of my soft corals and LPS because they were getting "too much flow".
Old 07/12/2004, 09:04 PM
SpEd Man

I have three 820's in my 75, so I don't think two in a 90 is going to be too much.
Steve
Old 07/13/2004, 03:08 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by rufio173
I think the point of the thing zane is that suction cups are no good. They eventually give out and can cause damage to your reef especially with a deep sand bed.

Peace,
John H.

i,ve seen someone use claning magnets for thier mj's.i suppose you could do this if you have an
old one lying around or dont mind spending the money to buy new ones.
Old 07/13/2004, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

I have seen many people asking about Seio mounting options. Here are some pics of what I was able to come up with using the factory provided hardware items. (part numbers "3" and "5" in the manual)

As you can see part#5 is mounted upside down with the addition of a small hole drilled to allow it to be secured with a tie wrap. It works well on my glass tank but I wish it could hang a little deeper. A small vortex would sometimes form on the surface and cause the unit to pull in air. I used a piece of Mylar film to block the slots at the top of the intake closest to the surface. The film is held in place beneath the adjustable intake shroud. Best of all, no suction cups.

Old 07/13/2004, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

Just noticed the date on those pictures, must check that camera.
Old 07/14/2004, 07:56 AM
Registered Member

Good idea on securing that part so that it could be mounted upside down. Thanks for the pics Bjdrake! IMO, that part should have been made to mount like that in the first place. It's like they rushed it through at the last minute to meet production without thinking about a bit longer so that the rotating part could be used with the hanging bracket. Aside from that, I'm loving my 820's more every day.
Old 07/14/2004, 09:13 AM
Premium Member

Hmm, are they planning on making a bracket or something to allow us to hang it lower in the tank without the goofy 90 degree angle box and without the use of suction cups? Or do I need to fabricate my own acrylic solution?

I should get my 820's from marinedepot on Friday. I'm excited to see how they perform.
Old 07/14/2004, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

slanky,

What might be even easier is probably to use the smallest PVC tube you can find (1/2") and build a mount/bracket like that.

Drill as small hole or two holes in the PVC and use them zip ties to hold the pump and hang it over the tank lip.

Peace,
John H.
Old 07/14/2004, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

I like that hanging idea bjdrake, but how are we supposed to do it with an acrylic tank?
Old 07/14/2004, 12:20 PM
Moved On

what would you compare the flow of a 820 with.like 2 mj 1200's?
Old 07/14/2004, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

Hard comparison

Quote:
Originally posted by imgrtful
what would you compare the flow of a 820 with.like 2 mj 1200's?
You know, people keep asking this, but it's hard to compare because the flow that you are producing is so much different from what the MJs put out. You've got a fat stream of water shooting out that spreads out, but with an MJ, you've got a tight stream that does not spread out as much.

Flow is flow, if the MJs put out 295GPH, and the 820s put out around 1000GPH without the housing, then it produces much more flow than the MJs. It may not create nearly as much turbulence, but it will give you much more flow. If you put your hand in front of it, you might feel the MJ more so than the Seios, just because the stream is so tight. It's overall area/volume of flow that you must look at.

Peace,
John H.
Old 07/14/2004, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Tonight the Cincy Reef Club will be doing a head-to-head comparison of a Rio SEIO 820 and a Tunze 6100 controlled down to its' lowest flow setting (appx 900 gph)

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=400449

These are both my pumps, so I've already decided fro myself, but the comparison will be opened to everyone else in attendace.

If you read that thread, you will get my impression of the dispersion pattern of the flow of the new Rio vs the Tunze.

As I also stated, it would be very interresting for someone to replace the Rio turbine impeller with a real prop.
Old 07/14/2004, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

I don’t own any acrylic tanks to use as a reference, but I assumed that the other hanging bracket Part# 6 worked with something other than glass tanks. You mean to tell me they didn’t get that right either?
Old 07/15/2004, 12:30 AM
Paracentropyge Boyeli

Quote:
Originally posted by bjdrake
I don’t own any acrylic tanks to use as a reference, but I assumed that the other hanging bracket Part# 6 worked with something other than glass tanks. You mean to tell me they didn’t get that right either?
Nope, I still can't figure out how to use any of the brackets on a acrylic tank with a 3" lip other than the suction cup mount. If #6 is the 2-piece with the plastic screw on top, then yes you can use this but you need to drill a hole in your acrylic lip to thread the screw through but whats worse than that is that the mount puts the seio about about 8" away from the wall. In a 55g, this more than half of the depth of the tank, so that was not acceptable. And you can't use the pivoting bracket either with this so;

suction cups it was!
Old 07/15/2004, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

Well, I get home last night and low and behold, my SEIO suction cups came off the glass and my SEIO was pointed down into my deep sand bed creating a huge hole!!!! Everything looks fine though........so far
Old 07/15/2004, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

Why are the suction cups being such a problem for so many people? From the time I put the Seios in my tank about a month or more ago, they havn't moved a bit. The suction cups are still tight against the glass. IMO the suction cups are a little flimsy, so they are difficult to push all the way against the glass, but if you push them hard enough in just the right way, they will really hold onto the glass. Actually, on one of the Seios, I only have 3 of the suctions cups on because while I was putting them into the tank, one came out and I can't reach it behind the tank. It still holds on fine.
But then again, I always had good luck with maxi jet suction cups too.. maybe I am lucky?
Old 07/15/2004, 10:51 AM
Premium Member

Just wait for the one time when your suction cups come loose and you wind up with unhappy corals after 30 lbs of sand has been blown around your tank It's happened to me a few times just with Maxi-jets, and anything that pushes a ton of water like these SEIO's or a Tunze stream you would not want falling into your sand bed. It only takes it happening one time to realize you never want to use suction cups again.