Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/06/2004, 06:54 AM
Registered Member

Drilling for closed loop help

Hi everyone,

I will be drilling my tank for a closed loop this weekend. I need to drill a drain and two returns on the back wall.

Should I drill the drain and returns high on the wall? Low on the wall? Drain low and returns high? Need advice from those with experience.

Thank you in advance.

Art

Change your thoughts and you change your world.
Old 07/06/2004, 07:02 AM
Knowledgable LFS employee

It doesn't really matter. You could drill all 3 at the same level if you want to. Most people put their drains low, becasue that is just normal thinking, "of course the drain must be low", but it's not needed.
Old 07/06/2004, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

Sorry, forgot to ask.

Should the drain and return lines be of different sizes. The drain larger than the returns?

Art

Old 07/06/2004, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

Bump for the night crowd.

Art

Old 07/07/2004, 12:30 AM
Registered Member

Bump again because I will soon be doing this to my 120...
The only thing that worries me of drilling the drain low in the tank is what if the bulkhead starts to leak, or just cracks and water goes everywhere?
I might make one closed loop up high, about 4" from the water surface in the center of the back wall, and the returns at the same level off to the sides. And then another closed loop with the drain high, probably about 4" from the other drain off to the side, and the returns on the lower part of the tank to blow up through the rocks and to make good current in all parts of the tank.
How does that sound?

Cordell
Old 07/07/2004, 06:34 AM

It sounds good. I think everyone worries about something happening to their tank. I used to have broken glass dreams all the time. I've never heard of a bulkhead breaking or cracking once installed. If you're going to break or crack it, it'll happen while installing it. Let's face it their really isn't that much pressure on them from inside the tank. I would only drill one set of holes if I were you, that sounds like kind of alot.
Old 07/10/2004, 01:27 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by agiacosa
Sorry, forgot to ask.

Should the drain and return lines be of different sizes. The drain larger than the returns?

bump
Old 07/10/2004, 08:17 AM
Hooked on Reefkeeping

Quote:
Originally posted by theduckster
bump
Everything I've read and seen says yes, the drain should be larger than the return. It was that way in my Eheim canister filter, on my 120 AGA RR tank, etc.

On everything I've seen, the drain is the next size up. If you have a 3/4 inch return, use a 1 inch drain.
Old 07/10/2004, 07:41 PM
Wire Doc

here is a pick of the back of my tank, the two top bulkheads are 1''1/2, they feed the closed loop pump wich is in my garage. Then the return is also 1''1/2, wich is reduced to 1' and then reduced to 3/4'' returns inside the tank.
Old 07/10/2004, 07:42 PM
Wire Doc

inside view.
Old 07/10/2004, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

wow Tony.... I love it! I have just a few questions:
Did drilling that many holes in the tank weaken it any? Should there be any concern? I want to do something similar on my 120, but I was thinking that it would be too many holes in the back glass.

Where does the drain in your overflow go? Is the sump right under the tank or in the garage?

From the closed loop pump, why did you go from 1 1/2" to 1" then 3/4", instead of just running 1 1/2" all the way to the tank and then reducing to 3/4" where it goes into the tank? Did this make the output on the returns in the tank better?

Are the holes on the left and right end the return from sump?
Do you get good flow from this? I'm setting up a FOWLR, so I don't need awesome flow, but something to keep the fish busy, and detritus stirred up. I'll probably put half of the returns down toward the bottom where yours are, then put the rest on the top to make some good current in the empty space in the tank for fish to swim into.

What color is your background? Is it black, or dark blue? I like it...

Sorry for all the questions... I like how you've got that setup and will probably make a close copy on my 120 when I get to this stage.

thanks
Cordell
Old 07/10/2004, 09:19 PM
Wire Doc

Thanks cordell.

First question, will that many holes weaken the tank, my tank is acrylic and is 3/4 thick, very sturdy and all is well, not to sure about a glass setup.

Second question...where does the water drain to, to a large sDIY sump under the tank, this was my old tank, 150 gallon glass tank wich i drilled and added baffles and is now my sump with a refuge in the middle.

Third question...why did i reduce the plumbing from 1'' 1/2 to 1'' to 3/4''... my closed loop pump has a 1''1/2 intake and discharge, i did not want to restrict it to much, so i ran 1''1/2 as close as i could to the tank, and then stepped down to 1'', the valves were easier to get and cheaper then 1''1/2, from there all the bulkheads into the tank, except for the drain and closed loop ones are 1'', so i added some 3/4 threaded reducers in wich i could thread in some 3/4 lockline for returns inside the tank. It's kinda like placing your finger over the end of a garden hose, stronger flow .

Fourth question.....are the holeson the left and right side returns from the sump, no there not, the returns are on the top of the tank, and drilled thru the bracing wich you cant see in the pic.

5 question, backround color...it's black.
Old 07/10/2004, 09:20 PM
Wire Doc

here is the sump

Old 07/10/2004, 09:23 PM
Wire Doc

full shot

Old 07/10/2004, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the explanations... I'll definately save your pics for reference when the time comes to setup my 120.
Old 07/11/2004, 07:31 AM

That is a most excellent plumbing job! Very nice.