Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/14/2007, 07:09 AM
Registered Member

Ordering Snails from Reeftopia

Hey guys... I am going to place a order from reeftopia.... you get free shipping after spending 90 bucks... anyone want to go in on some snails... I am wanting 100 turbos and 12 Cerith Snails. but if anyone else wants to go in let me know by today.... as I have a algea problem and do not know what to do about it ...

second question what should i do about this problem ... .any suggestions... I changed lights and am now starting to see lots of green algea.
Old 12/14/2007, 07:35 AM
Registered Member.

They have the most afoardable clean up crews hands down. Also Really great service. I ordered from them about 2 months ago, and no more green alage.

good luck!
Old 12/14/2007, 07:42 AM
Registered Member

What all did you order../ how big is your tank.... mine is 90 just dont know how many

was thinking 100 turbos and 12 Cerith Snail
Old 12/14/2007, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

Acrosteve and I ordered some about a month ago, can't say for Steve but the Nerite snails are awesome, I'll be ordering them again in the spring, astreas on the small side, the nassirus (vibex) are awesome they scavenge.
We split the total reef care #3 and I ordered some extra, I was getting some brown kinda algae on the rocks and they've just about got it cleaned up.
Wish you were'nt so far from me I'd get more of the nerites
Just my $.02
Old 12/14/2007, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

I would suggest a more diverse crew.
If these are Mexican turbo Grazers they can grow quite large. In a 90 I would suggest about 10.
The Black Turbos on the other hand are much smaller and I would suggest about 25
I would get 20 ceriths, they are good all around cleaners.
If you are going to have a sand bed (not Bare Bottom) I would definitely add about 15 Nasirius. They dig in the sand and keep it stirred up as well as scavenge.
I have a Sand Stirring Conch which is also a great cleaner.
I would probably also get 10-15 Astreas, but they have a tendency to die when they fall on their backs, not a huge fan of them.
The Nerites would also be good to, maybe 10-15 of those.

The idea here is that each snail is going to target a different type of algae/detritus. If you get too many of one kind, when that particular food source is depleted, that type of snail may not survive. If this is a newer tank, the algae may also be temporary. So a variety of snails will tend to have the best long term affects.

Also keep in mind, when these snails start to eat a lot of algae, they will create a lot of waste which means your skimmer will need to be running well or you may run into water quality issues. A water change a few days to a week after they really start mowing the algae down is probably a good idea too.

I would also check your phospahtes and consider something like Rowaphos.

HTH,
Ken
Old 12/15/2007, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

I did a group order a couple of weeks ago... actualy got it last weekend.we ordered over $800 worth of stuff. so far no complaints except the sea horses were really small!! like a 1/2 inch

The sponges were really nice and the gorgonians were to
The snails and Blue legs were nice also.
we ordered the astare, nassarius, ceriths

Sean