Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/02/2003, 08:10 PM
Moved On

What kind of dog should i buy:?

i am getting a nice little duplex with a backyard in about a month. i am allowed a dog up to 25 pounds. i like hairy dogs with LOTS of spunk.. i want a crazy hyper silly dog. i hate super short haired dogs.. like rat terriers are just hideous in my opinion b/c they have no hair... so everyone... have any suggestions?????
Old 07/02/2003, 08:30 PM
forever newbie

I wish I was in your shoes. When my kids were growing up, we had a minature schnauzer. She was adorable. Weighed in at about 15lbs. Maybe a little bigger. She was the spunkest, sweetest and smartest dog I ever had. Does it have to be a purebred? Go to your local humane society. They have purebreds and mutts. And be sure to get it vet checked no matter where you get your dog. Happy hunting!!!!!!!!!
Old 07/02/2003, 08:38 PM
Moved On

actually i was concidering a mini schnauzer... but i was told they are very calm and submissive..
no the dog doens thave to be pure bread but as i have been looking for dogs i've learned that poor breading leads to serious health issues and i do not want a sick dog... i coudlnt afford surgeries and such. also i visit my local animal shelters and they ALL have waiting lists for dogs under 25 pounds... one has a list 30 people long.. i dont want to wait that long..
Old 07/02/2003, 08:44 PM
Moved In

Boy dogs are so individual. I have a Pomeranian that is the funniest thing ever. Just get one that grabs your attention and hope for personality.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 07/02/2003, 08:47 PM
Buttfish Pioneer

I also have a pomeranian... sounds like that is what you're lookin' for.. Very spunky, hilarious, and like debi noted, full of personality.. each one is completely different in an awesome way!

Make sure you buy from a reputable breeder, or someone who has parents on site. You never know what you'll get at a pet store, not to mention you would be supporting puppy farms.

Good luck
Angela.
Old 07/02/2003, 08:53 PM
forever newbie

Look in the want ads of your local newspaper. People are giving dogs away for free in my paper. But then again you got to wonder why they are free. I wish I could have a dog. I am so jealous. My schnauzer certainly wasn't submissive. Everytime she would get a haircut she would hide behind the couch. A dog will be as aggresive or as submissive as you are. Dogs seem to take on their owners personalities. Thats why all my dogs were such sweethearts.
Old 07/02/2003, 08:58 PM
Vermicious Knid

If you go to http://www.akc.org/breeds/rescue.cfm you will find a list of links for purebred rescues. Some of them are for region-specific rescues, and others are links to the breeds' national club pages, which may also list more region-specific rescues. If you still feel like buying a pup from a breeder, you can contact the breed's national club (once you pick a breed). They can refer you to conscientious breeders in your area.

It's awesome to see that you researched breeding enough to know what can happen when it is done irresponsibly. AKC papers do NOT mean good health - they just mean that both parents were purebred. You should see the breeder's paperwork for hip, eye, and heart evaluations for each dog. It is also slightly questionable (in my opinion) when a breeder does not compete in some kind of event with his/her dogs (conformation dog shows, agility, obedience, field trial, lure coursing, etc). Also be aware that most good breeders have waiting lists for their pups, sometimes even before the litter is actually conceived. Most serious, ethical breeders charge over $500 for their pups.

If there is any more info you need, or any other way I can help you, let me know!
Old 07/02/2003, 09:01 PM
Vermicious Knid

Quote:
Originally posted by skippy2
Look in the want ads of your local newspaper. People are giving dogs away for free in my paper. But then again you got to wonder why they are free.
Because some people don't find out ahead of time what will be required of them as a dog owner, and freak out the first time their rugs get ruined, sofas get unstuffed, or floors get soiled. Also, some people are just unable to view pets as anything other than possessions.

skippy2, why can't you have a dog?
Old 07/02/2003, 09:03 PM
Moved On

perosonally, i think pomeranians are not very cute. sorry guys... i heard some are viscious (spelling)..
i have looked in the paper but there are so many dogs i cannot decide... they are all around $400.. none for free..but i guess i dont mind spending the money.. b/c they all cost about that...
Old 07/02/2003, 09:06 PM
Moved In

Also having a dog that needs to be groomed all the time, is inconvenient. My poodle is old and cranky, I don't submit her to the torture anymore. I just take the scissors and hack off her hair. She's not as pretty as she used to be, but much happier. My Chow Lab is mellow. My Border Collie-Sheltie (lost her a couple years ago) was also full of personality.Up until 2 years ago I had five dogs. I'm down to 3.

Old 07/02/2003, 09:06 PM
forever newbie

I figure if I can't take a dog for a walk I shouldn't have one. I have a hard time walking sometimes. My 2 cats are sellf-suffecient but certainly don't make up what a dog could do. I love dogs but I just don't think it would be fair to the dog.
Old 07/02/2003, 09:09 PM
Moved On

thank u for this comment
"AKC papers do NOT mean good health - they just mean that both parents were purebred. "
b/c i have argued with people over this. they all say if they have those papers it means the puppy is 100% perfect pup.. i just thought it meant u knew who the parents were and who the parents parents were and such... knowing the dog is pure..
either way i dont mind not having a purebread dog.. growing up my dogs were all mutts and were healthy and fun dogs to have...

i found an adorable sweet maltese the other day.. it was $900 and had a 5 year warranty on its health and life... but i was kinda wandering about it b/c it wasn't pure white.. it had some tan coloring to it.. i only see white ones when i research them... is it possible its not pure?
Old 07/02/2003, 09:09 PM
forever newbie

My daughter bought 2 lab puppies with papers. Paid $500 a piece and 1 of them has something the matter with is eye and also some kind of skin disease. My point is papers mean nothing other than that they are registered.
Old 07/02/2003, 09:13 PM
Moved On

i dont know if i will mind grooming it or not.. i've never had to brush a dogs hair.. however i am aware that to keep a malteses hair long it must be combed often.. or so i was informed... but... these dogs r so lovely with well maintained hair i think i would really feel obligated to keep it nice for him/her.
Old 07/02/2003, 09:13 PM
Vermicious Knid

Re: What kind of dog should i buy:?

Quote:
Originally posted by dellrio
i am allowed a dog up to 25 pounds. i like hairy dogs with LOTS of spunk.. i want a crazy hyper silly dog.
Check out the following breeds:

American Eskimo
Cairn Terrier
Long-haired Dachshund
Norfolk Terrier
Norwich Terrier
Pomeranian (as newreeflady already suggested)
Schipperke
West Highland White Terrier (or "Westie")

(I just went through the AKC list and found breeds with which I have had first-hand experiences, and listed the ones I thought best fit your ideal.)
Old 07/02/2003, 09:16 PM
Vermicious Knid

Quote:
i have looked in the paper but there are so many dogs i cannot decide... they are all around $400.. none for free..but i guess i dont mind spending the money.. b/c they all cost about that...
Actually, in my experience, good breeders don't advertise in the paper. They usually don't need to.
Old 07/02/2003, 09:24 PM
Vermicious Knid

Quote:
i found an adorable sweet maltese the other day.. it was $900 and had a 5 year warranty on its health and life... but i was kinda wandering about it b/c it wasn't pure white.. it had some tan coloring to it.. i only see white ones when i research them... is it possible its not pure?
A good breeder will have no time limit on a dog's "warranty". He or she will take back your dog at any time, at any age, because they care about what happens to the pups they have bred. Besides, if you take your dog for hip x-rays when it's 2 years old (for its hip certification) and find out it has dysplasia, are you really going to take it back? Most people who offer pups with "warranties" that have time limits are banking on the hunch that you'll get attached and keep the dog no matter what.

As far as Maltese dogs showing other colors - it doesn't have to mean it isn't purebred, it just might be a "fault", a deviation from its conformation standard. Some faults are considered serious enough to automatically exclude the dog from being shown in conformation. If the presence of tan coloring is a disqualifying fault, this dog should be sold as "pet quality", and you could probably negotiate a lower price since it can't be shown. But I would still avoid a breeder that wouldn't take back his/her own dog at any time in the dog's life.
Old 07/02/2003, 09:31 PM
Getting burnt out...

I'll chime in and recommend a wire hair jack russel terrier. I raise english bulldogs and IMO seasquirt is right about how to tell a good breeder from bad.
Old 07/02/2003, 09:36 PM
Moved On

well this maltese is at a dog pet store which only gets its pups from specific breaders... also u are RIGHT ON when it comes to the 5 year warranty... i mean from the moment i saw it i was in love with her.. and god knows how much more i'd love her in 2 years when i find out she's got health issues.. i could never take back something i would get so attatched to. i mean.. i love it for the dog not for its bones... ya know.. so the 5 year warranty doenst mean much.. but they say its another basis for hwo they price thier dogs..
Old 07/02/2003, 09:38 PM
Moved On

oh i want an english bulldog soooo badly.. but they get too heavy..

i was also thinkning about the york terrior..
i've only seen it upclose once... it was shy and not really very active...
Old 07/02/2003, 09:44 PM
Moved In

Maltese are cute little dogs. I would check out the breeder for that price. They should be more than willing to share their customers. Dogs can be what you make them. Remember "There are no bad dogs, just bad dog owners!"

Old 07/02/2003, 09:45 PM
Secret Weapon

My pups

I had a beautiful little black and white pom for years.
Black poms are kinda the ugly stepchild I guess so I got him for really cheap considering.. $180 but I bought him for his personality. When me and my wife were shopping he was following us around. As the breeders showed us 500 dollar white and tan varieties there he was behind us. When we inquired about him they said he was wonderful and always followed them around everywhere so they nicknamed him Shadow.
We bought him the next day and he was the best pup I ever had. He's passed since as we had him 14 years and it brings a tear to my eye to think about him. Never barked much which is alot for a pom, they can be yappers.
After he passed we went shopping for another dog and I wanted to hit the breeders for another purebred pom or chihuahua, something small basicly. I swore to my wife and daughter we were JUST LOOKING. Every puppy is going to be beautiful and we need to take time to decide. Well my wife had looked through the paper and on the way to the breeders a lady had advertised Chihuahua mix pups and she was on the way.
First stop my daughter falls in love of course. Dog was a Terrier/Chihuahua mix and we saw the parents.
To make a long story short as we we're pulling away my daughter was in tears and said " We can't leave dad... I just loooove her", I looked at my wife and she was teary eyed so I flipped a U and we bought the first damn lovable dog we found.
She's been great ever since cept for the barking.
So now we have a new mutt thats cool, I saved probably 450 bucks and everyone so far in our little family is happy =)
Old 07/02/2003, 09:53 PM
Moved On

awww what a beautiful story... really.. thats so sweet..

i think i will look into breaders more closely when i decide what dog i want for sure...
Old 07/02/2003, 09:57 PM
Getting burnt out...

Your right about the heavy part. The jack russel still gets my vote as the " spazz-o-matic" of the canine world. I'll showoff one of my pups in a then and now pic.
Old 07/02/2003, 10:05 PM
Getting burnt out...

now.