Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/20/2003, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

Mantis shrimp or Pistol shrimp?

Hi, I have one of these in my tank, but I'm not certain which one they are. How do you go about differentiating between the two? Is it the color. I've only seen mine a few times and I think he's green and black. I know that with the pistol shrimp, one of their appendages is bigger than the other, but mine doesn't come out far enough for me to see them. (And, yes, I do hear the infamous clicking noise every once in a while.) Thanks.
Old 06/20/2003, 09:07 AM
Moved In

Here, we are just discussing this here.
clicking

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 06/20/2003, 09:35 AM
Bangger

Mantis Shrimp are not true shrimps, and so there is a structural difference in the head. Mantis Shrimp will tuck their claws under their head, giving them their name of "Mantis", and not keeping their claws outstretched like the Pistol Shrimp will. The best thing to do might be to just look at a lot of pics of Mantis and Pistols and wait for your guy to come out again.

Or perhaps you could get a pic for us to see?
Old 06/20/2003, 09:47 AM
Force of Nature

Wild Card-inal.. is right.. Mantis shrimp are not really shrimp. They are actually in the order of Stomatopods. They are a type of predatory crustaceans. Also you can tell by their over sized eyes and tucked under appendages. With a piston.. normally you will see there claws before their eyes and head. With a mantis, you will probably see there eye and head first.
Old 06/20/2003, 09:52 AM
Moved In

Well if it comes out enough to see the eyes that will tell you. But it has to come out. Mantis eyes are on stalks.

Mantis

Pistol

Old 06/20/2003, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

Ok, thanks everyone, looks like I got myself a mantis. Now I gotta get the sucker outta there. I just noticed a cracked snail shell this morning, laying close to the rock he lives in.
Old 06/20/2003, 10:03 AM
Moved In

That part I can't help you with! I had to search for mine. There are a lot of threads about catching them tho. Finding the rock it resides in is the key I think! Happy hunting. Set you up a nano if you catch him alive!

Old 06/20/2003, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

I had a mantis come in on one of my corals...he was on the back side and I never noticed him...but heard the tell tail cracking sound.

I finally located the sound and found hole in the back of this coral. Stuck a pen cap down in there and the thing split the tip of the cap.

used a screw driver and hammer and split the hole open and got him out...CA'd the hole shut (crude yes I know)

Also my first fragin exp...
Old 06/20/2003, 10:55 AM
Force of Nature

If you found a smashed snail.. than you probably have a smasher mantis shrimp. Good thing is they tend to eat snails and crustaceans more often than fish.

Good Luck!!!