Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2007, 08:27 PM
Team RC Member

Bad Trip to Florida

Well as some my now, i was heading down to florida for the week with my family. At around 7:30am we were traveling on I-75 about 60 miles from the Florida border when on the cars we were taking lost control and rolled onto an on-ramp totaling the car. I myself was in the car as well as my sister, her boyfriend, my cousin, and grandparents. The car ( Ford Excursion ) started to bounce and sway after we hit a bump in a constuction zone. I was the first out of the car to check on my cousin who was not wearing her seat belt. My sister got my grandparents from the front seat while my cousin's arm was stuck under the rolled car. I had woken up when i heard screams so i had no idea where we were at. I called 911 and the first cop arrived in seconds. I-75 was at a standstill for awhile as all of our luggage was scattered. The car is totalted but im typing now from a holiday Inn in Georgia. The other car in front of us had no idea what had happened. I've got a large rash on my arm and my grandpa had some scrapes and marks but he was released from the hospital an hour or so after being taken. My cousin is still at the hostpital and has already had staples put in her head but she is taking and good. She just has a fractured wrist but she should recover soon this week. We have family on their way down from Lima as well as a replacement vehicle. We won't be going to Florida but we are just glad that everyone made it. The gas tank also was leaking and it had a good 30-35 gallons of gas in it. Our bags and cloths are pretty much ruined but I'll be down here for while but I can't really type and there are probably many spelling mistakes but I just wanted to let everyone know I'm alright as well as the other 11 other family members that were coming along on the trip. I have pictures of the car at the impound lot but I have no way to post them.

Time for the next story... As we are getting settled into a near by hotel, We get word of bad storms coming and soon the Tornado alarms were going off. I think everyone is just gratfull we are all here but it as hard on my grandma who was driving the car at the time. Lesson learned? SEat Belts save lifes!
Old 12/30/2007, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

Wow! That's scary and you are all very lucky to have survived it with relatively minor injuries. I hope everyone heals quickly and grandma doesn't blame herself.
Old 12/30/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

wow !!!!!!!!!!

glad everyone made it out with fairly minor injuries Andrew, hope all goes well and a speedy recovery for eveyone.

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 12/30/2007, 08:42 PM
Team RC Member

It all just seems like a dream now but I don't even remember dialing 911 or climbing out of the car. Luckly a nurse stopped and one was one of the first people there to help. I'm just glad everyone is fine and that my cousin doesn't have any major problems or broken bones. Ill post updates if I get time but I probably won't get back home for awhile? Could be a week or two.
Old 12/30/2007, 08:42 PM
forever newbie

I'm sorry to hear about the accident. Hope everyone mends well.
Old 12/30/2007, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

bad wrecks are like that - shock sets in and the brain deletes the tramatic event

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 12/30/2007, 08:44 PM
Moved In

Thank goodness you guys are all ok. I know coming home from Az. today we saw a lot of wrecks. Pretty scarey.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 12/30/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

I'm so glad you're all okay.
Old 12/30/2007, 08:47 PM
Team RC Member

Thanks. I guess this is a second chance for all of us. We were also in the left lane and didn't hit any other cars or anything but everyone was nice enough to help out. As of now I'm in tifton Georgia. I do believe the car spun 360 degrees before flipping on the side and rolling up onto the on ramp.
Old 12/30/2007, 09:01 PM
Moved out

Wow considering the accident you had sounds like you all were really lucky. Living in Tampa and driving back and forth to Jacksonville up I-75 every monday I saw a lot of bad accidents.

Thank goodness everyone is going to be OK.

Chris
Old 12/30/2007, 10:00 PM
Team RC Member

MY cousin is doing better and has been texting with her right hand to let everyone know what's going on and that she's ok. The doctors aren't going to operate on her wrist unless she feels pain or anything. So we are hanging in. It's also my little cousins birthday tomorrow but we did manage to save all the presents minus the gas covered paper but I'm going to wal-mart in the morning to pick up a cake. I don't plan on leaving anytime soon as my cousin may have to be taken by ambulance back to Lima twards the end of the week. The hospital did get us a good deal on rooms at only $35 a night so we've booked a couple more rooms for family members who will be here in a couple hours.
Old 12/30/2007, 10:20 PM
Cancer Sucks

Dang, I'm glad to hear you guys weren't more seriously hurt.

"There either is or there isn't life out there. Both possibilites are frightening."
(someone help me out - who said this?)
Old 12/30/2007, 10:27 PM
Team RC Member

Yea, my mom was upset she wasn't there to help but by the time the car with the rest of our family did a U-turn, I had to convince everyone that we were fine but they didnt want anyone near the car due to the gas leakage but i do give the cops and everyone credit as they were their within 2-3 minutes from when I called. My wallet went flying and I had cash flying all over the Interstate but the cops got it for me but it smells like gas but we are washing our cloths that weren't ruined.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:29 PM
Team RC Member

I cant sleep at all so ill be on here durning the night and now im worried about the other family members that are on their way down. But I'm just thankful to be with my family and that we are all together. I may not be on the site much his week or next but im going to be in some pain as my back and arm hurts but tomorrow will be the worst day.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:28 AM
RC Mod

Hang in there, you all survived. Or as they say in Georgia, Ya'll survived. Could have been a lot worse.............

Old 12/31/2007, 12:41 AM
Team RC Member

Yea. My mind blanked out but i'm just laying down in the hotel bed resting cause my back does hurt some as well a my arm which I've got a large bandage on. Everyone back at home have been calling and I posted info on My cousins myspace and facebook sites so everyone knew she's ok. I may not post pictures of the car as I did take some in case we needed them for insurance reasons or anything but It's pretty banged up. We went to the wrecking yard to get some stuff out of it but nothing was in the right spot and papers were everywhere. The front of the car is the only thing that is in-tact.
Old 12/31/2007, 04:19 PM
Team RC Member

Day 2 is going well as everyone is fine but just in some pain. My arm is better but just has a big road burn rash on it. I told everyone that we need to plan this vacation again when my cousin recovers and book the same house for a week and re-do our trip and not worry about anything. My cousin will probably have to be flown back but we did receive an SUV and a cargo van from Lima today which we have been using to make trips to wal-mart and to the hospital.
Old 12/31/2007, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

glad everyone is okay sorry you didnt get to make it to FL we will welcome you on your next trip

heal well and time to start a new year

best holiday wishes
Old 12/31/2007, 04:50 PM
All will be well.

Good gosh! Glad all are ok.
Old 01/01/2008, 12:20 AM
Obsessed

check and see if the hospital has a salt water tank in the kids ward..if so steal frags
Old 01/01/2008, 12:26 AM
Guardian of Little People

Andrew, I am thankful you and your loved ones are ok.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 01/01/2008, 12:57 AM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianD
Andrew, I am thankful you and your loved ones are ok.
What Brian said .................
Old 01/01/2008, 02:14 AM
Where's My Jell-O?

OMG, Andrew that is so scary! I'm really glad that you are all okay!

Melting!
Old 01/01/2008, 11:18 AM
Team RC Member

thanks everyone. the plan as of now is to maybe leave on friday and fly my cousin home on life flight so it's quicker as we are a good 12 hours from home. my sister and her boyfriend left today so he can see his family. But my cousin was able to get up and move around some and looks a lot better. She still cant really move her wrist but she's working on it. The hotel has been helpful and everything but all is going well. my grandpa has been walking around more and been taking pain killers but all is good.
Old 01/01/2008, 01:09 PM
Team RC Member