Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/16/2007, 10:17 AM
Hopeless addict

Angry Ridiculous treatment of fish in holiday merchandise!

I stumbled upon this article this morning. It is bad enough that bettas are kept in tiny little bowls, this stuff makes me MAD:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2007/...568324984.html
&nbsp&nbsp o@o&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp "\_r'
&nbsp @o|,@&nbsp&nbsp _/,_&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp >( ')
_..@@_..7il=l=@lv|e.._
Old 12/16/2007, 11:28 AM
Premium Member

that's disgusting, even worse that people buy them
Old 12/16/2007, 12:42 PM
Ruger dog

That's just wrong.
Old 12/16/2007, 12:47 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
cute idea... but poorly thought out...

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 12/16/2007, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............................................................

The truth is more shocking than the lie. Watch Earthlings on dvd.
Old 12/16/2007, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

Heck it ticks me off when I see them in the little cups at the petstores...
Old 12/16/2007, 12:59 PM
][D][][V][][D

Wow...just wow. Unbelieveable.
Old 12/16/2007, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

wow that is soooo cool, i hope they still have some, i wann buy ten.... i wonder if you could put TWO fish in one!!!! \end sarcasim horrible just horrible
Old 12/16/2007, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

I'm not big on the "that's horrible for the fish" bit, but I have to say that product is just plain stupid.
Old 12/16/2007, 09:38 PM
Ruger dog

Quote:
Originally posted by 30reef
I'm not big on the "that's horrible for the fish" bit, but I have to say that product is just plain stupid.
Please explain yourself.
Old 12/16/2007, 10:15 PM
][D][][V][][D

Thumbs down

Quote:
????
Old 12/16/2007, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

All I meant was I am not going to worry about what some enterprising inventor is doing with a fish. I just think that an ipod speaker built into a betta dish is really stupid. That's just my opinion.

Would I subject a fish to live in there? No. But somewhere out there is someone who is willing to do it, well, maybe lots. I can't do anything about it so I'm not going to worry.

If everyone shared the same veiws on things, the world would be pretty boring.

If you guys think I am just some animal hater, FYI, I pick out the pods in my filter sock before sending it to the bleach bucket.

Last edited by 30reef; 12/16/2007 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12/16/2007, 10:34 PM
Mushroom King

Dam these Mushrooms why must I love shrooms so much. If only I could grow somthing else >:)

"Ya I shot ya....What you gonna do about it ??" Cupid
Old 12/16/2007, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Would I subject a fish to live in there? No. But somewhere out there is someone who is willing to do it, well, maybe lots. I can't do anything about it so I'm not going to worry.
AMEN BROTHER AMEN!!!!!
Old 12/17/2007, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

Doesn't even look like the poor thing can turn around.
Old 12/17/2007, 12:26 PM
Premium Member

Looks and reality are often vastly different. The dimensions aren't known from that pic. On the other hand Don't construe that as an endorsement of the fish speaker. More a statement on the fact that a picture can't tell you enough to make an informed decision.

Ethics are hard enough, and it was an ethical stance taken, without making sure the position is well thought out and the circumstances fully understood. That gets us to the fish that only lives in the present. It has no sense of history or looking forward to the future. With that in mind an environment that prevents stress has the capability and allows for adequate environment then it would be ethical without regard to the ultimate use of the animal.
Old 12/17/2007, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

I can't deal with gold fish bowls now that I have a basic knowledge of how lakes and oceans work. This is right up there with the Pimp Daddy shoes with the clear heals that held water and goldfish.

There really is a sucker born every minute................and two idiots.

In this day and age, I am a little surprised that someone in Legal OK'd this. PETA is going to be on 'em like hair on a gorilla.
Old 12/17/2007, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jerryz
Looks and reality are often vastly different. The dimensions aren't known from that pic. On the other hand Don't construe that as an endorsement of the fish speaker. More a statement on the fact that a picture can't tell you enough to make an informed decision.

Ethics are hard enough, and it was an ethical stance taken, without making sure the position is well thought out and the circumstances fully understood. That gets us to the fish that only lives in the present. It has no sense of history or looking forward to the future. With that in mind an environment that prevents stress has the capability and allows for adequate environment then it would be ethical without regard to the ultimate use of the animal.
you might not be able to make an informed decision based on the ipond photos, but if you read the article, it states the approximate volume of the tank in ml, as well as giving a recommendation on what an appropriate tank size WOULD be. you should be able to make an informed decision based on that.

Last edited by barrman; 12/17/2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12/17/2007, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

i don't disagree that a Betta shouldn't be kept in a larger tank(3-5gal. being ideal), but the think i worry the most about would be the water temperature. They are normally found in Siam. Hence the name SIAMese fighting fish. This area is a tropical one and easily reaches into the 80's. when they are kept in small volumes of water with little to no water movement and no heater the water often become stagnant and cold. this causes the fish to go into a listless or almost dormant state. which inversely create them to live out very short lives.

EDIT

Sorry! this is RLJLLL. Mike has been on my comp again
Old 12/17/2007, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by newtanksmell
I can't deal with gold fish bowls now that I have a basic knowledge of how lakes and oceans work. This is right up there with the Pimp Daddy shoes with the clear heals that held water and goldfish.

There really is a sucker born every minute................and two idiots.

In this day and age, I am a little surprised that someone in Legal OK'd this. PETA is going to be on 'em like hair on a gorilla.
It's always fascinating (and by fascinating, I mean disgusting) the lows people will go to in order to make a buck.

I'd bet they did consult legal and probably figured it didn't matter. They probably figured they could make some X amount of money, and the worst that would happen is they'd have to buy their way out of the problem, So then their profit would get cut down to something like X/2.

What is it they say about the love of money?
Old 12/19/2007, 02:40 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I can't do anything about it so I'm not going to worry.
I am worried and I will do something about it!

If this product is even moderately successful, they will try to introduce it here. (remember Aquababies?)
PETA is already aware and we are trying to stop the spread of this.........device.

For the record, PETA is not against pet fish. It's the over crowding, poor handling, cyanide bombing, and idiotic things like this........device we hate.

Quote:
That gets us to the fish that only lives in the present. It has no sense of history or looking forward to the future.
I thought science had already proven that fish can learn and remember. I know The Mythbusters have.

Here's a fantastic read for everyone

Quote:
With that in mind an environment that prevents stress has the capability and allows for adequate environment then it would be ethical without regard to the ultimate use of the animal.
With this glib logic my Chihuahuas in hamster cages idea IS ok after all!

Old 12/19/2007, 09:32 AM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

+2 Veganman
Old 12/19/2007, 10:00 AM
Premium Member

Interestingly enough mine was a quote from Seger. I'm sure Veganman is familiar with his writing. If not he should be - If not try writings on an Ethical life or In Defense of Anmals

So not quite sure why he would twist it around like that.
Old 12/19/2007, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jerryz
That gets us to the fish that only lives in the present. It has no sense of history or looking forward to the future. With that in mind an environment that prevents stress has the capability and allows for adequate environment then it would be ethical without regard to the ultimate use of the animal.
Quote:
All I meant was I am not going to worry about what some enterprising inventor is doing with a fish

Similar logic is and has always been used as justification for all sorts of cruel acts throughout history. To say that fish live only in the present & have no sense of history is pure speculation.. Similar assumptions and worse throughout history have been made about animals of all types, women, tribal populations etc.
That being said,
one does not need a scientific study to be conducted in order to determine the following ; This device was invented & marketed as nothing more than a toy to make money for the company marketing it. That is being done without any regard whatsoever to the welfare of the resident. There is no expectation that the fish will survive long or that it will live reasonably stress free during that very shortened life. A company would only dare market such a device if they knew that because the low status that fish are regarded with by humans that it is very unlikely that anything can or will be done to try & stop them.
Almost every act of cruelty is committed out of ignorance, arrogance, greed or fear. The manufacture and marketing of this device is no exception. Not to find it appaling is shameful.
Frizz
Old 12/19/2007, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
mine was a quote from Seger
Do you mean Singer. Peter Singer? Yes, I am very familiar with his work. I don't necessarily agree with all of it.

I didn't mean to twist (how Fox News of me! LOL!). I don't think the intended message in your post was very clear.
Plus the information is outdated. Fish do live in more than the present, we have proven that.

Don't be offended Jerry. I didn't mean anything as a personal attack.

My convictions are so very strong that I am not an easy person to like. Ask anyone who knows me, I can be a real douche when it comes to this stuff.
(After being Vegan for nearly a decade, I can't understand how everyone isn't. You eventually get tunnel vision.
It's like Christians not understanding how I'm Atheist.
Culture clash.)

I try to stay polite, but I don't always succeed. I try to stay respectful, but sometimes anger gets the best of me.

Frizz, we should write a book together.