Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge

Old 12/06/2007, 09:35 PM
Clownfish Crazy

computer help/advice needed

My computer has finally seen its last day. I have tried everything to fix it. System restore/recovery does not work. I never did get the Windows disks or any disks for that matter with the computer. My question is, is it worth the money to buy a new internal harddrive and windows vista, or should I just buy a laptop or new desktop? I would like to have a laptop so that it doesn't take up much room.

I do not know anything about computers much less, which type/brand of laptop to buy. I do not have much money to spend as I am hardly working and trying to get on my own feet.
Old 12/06/2007, 09:49 PM
Premium Member

Which version of windows was on it? If you had XP with the sticker on the case most computer shops would install a hard drive for you, load xp with your cd-key on the sticker and load drivers without breaking the bank. If you have the sticker with the key, make a couple calls and see what it would run you for something like that for starters
Old 12/06/2007, 09:52 PM
Clownfish Crazy

It was XP. I will definitely consider that instead of spending tons of money.
Old 12/06/2007, 10:39 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

How old is it?
CPU speed?
Memory?

My wife has an older Pentium
I would never buy another HD for hers, but I have extras
Old 12/06/2007, 10:42 PM
Premium Member

geek squad?
Old 12/06/2007, 10:50 PM
Evan in colorado

I might just buy a new one. you could fix your old computer if you really want to but there are undoubtably better computers out there that you would be better off (and happyer) with. JMO
Old 12/07/2007, 11:56 AM
Clownfish Crazy

I am not at home so I really cant give any info regarding my computer. I would have to look at it. I have had it for a few years
now and since it has had several bad bougts with viruses it has basically just been a headace for a realy long time now.

I am mainly looking to get new computer at Best Buy since it is right up the street. I called them and asked them a few questions, but it will undoubtedly be cheaper to get a new one.

What brands are nice?
Old 12/07/2007, 12:11 PM
m0derated

I had a Gateway for 8 years with 0 problems.

It was too slow and old so I bought a new Gateway.

The new Gateway died within 4 months (motherboard fried).

Gateway customer service said I bought the computer at Best Buy, so if I want my money back or a new 'puter I have to talk to them.

Best Buy said the warranty is through Gateway so if I want my money back or a new 'puter I have to talk to them.

This went on for 3 months. I was stuck in a loop with Gateway customer service.

I finally got Gateway to send me a box to send the computer in to be fixed. They recieved the computer and sent it right back to me without fixing it. They didn't even open it. They did what they do every time someone sends a computer to be fixed - they reformatted it and sent it back. Because that fixes most problems without even thinking about it.

I sent it in again after many many phonecalls to higher and higher levels of management. They fixed it and sent it back.

My advice would be to buy directly from the manufacturer and research what brands you're interested in.
Old 12/07/2007, 12:32 PM
Team RC Member

For a spare computer, we bought a refurb Dell off the Dell site. It's been good, has a guarantee.

Considerations in buying a computer:
1. what do you do on it? Wordprocessing and email, very low demand stuff, not much memory demand, low speed demand. Gaming, the highest demands, but not bleeding-edge, usually.
2. If you want a lower-end but reliable, get a machine generally sold to business, not gamers.
3. If you want to move about or sit and watch telly while you work, a laptop can be as powerful as most any desktop you'll commonly find.
4. A guarantee from a reliable manufacturer is worth more than any promise from an Ebay dealer.
5. THere are some hardware compatibility issues between machines built for XP and those built for Vista, as I understand. Vista seems 'downward' compatible re software, but not necessarily hardware. S0 beware of installing it on an older machine...somebody check me on that, but I've heard a lot of Vista complaints about compatibility.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/07/2007, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

I bought a refurb 17" laptop off of HPs website about a year ago and it had XP installed, but is Vista capable. I haven't had any problems with it and it was 12 months no interest on their HP card. It came with a 12 month warranty.
Old 12/07/2007, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

Can I dare say the M word ?
Old 12/07/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

Re: computer help/advice needed

Quote:
Originally posted by xxpipedreamxx
I do not have much money to spend as I am hardly working and trying to get on my own feet.
Well... nevernind.
Old 12/07/2007, 04:26 PM
Clownfish Crazy

I mostly check my email, chat on instant messengers, do my banking and billpaying, download music, ya know geeral things like that.

I am sorry that I am hardly ever on anymore everyone. I was basically kicked out of my own home, getting restraining orders, and dealing with a lot of legal mumbo jumbo issues regarding my husband. It's a terribly long story.

But back to computers, I thank you all for helping me out here. I am looking to spend no more than 700 dollars or so. I do believe that a laptop is my best bet, especially with me moving around and leaving my home.

Itunes is really the only thing that takes up a ton of space on my comp right now. CD's are just too hard to keep up with, lol. I will look at some computers and see what you guys think of what I pick that is within my budget. I am scared to get Vista since I have heard so many bad things about it, but it is virtually impossible to find XP anymore.
Old 12/07/2007, 04:29 PM
Cancer Sucks

The Dell Vostro laptops start at $449, and XP is a clickable option.

http://www.dell.com/content/products...=04&l=en&s=bsd

"There either is or there isn't life out there. Both possibilites are frightening."
(someone help me out - who said this?)
Old 12/07/2007, 04:35 PM
Clownfish Crazy

Here is one idea:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Compa...oductDetail.do
Old 12/07/2007, 04:37 PM
Clownfish Crazy

Quote:
Originally posted by Satori
The Dell Vostro laptops start at $449, and XP is a clickable option.

http://www.dell.com/content/products...=04&l=en&s=bsd
Well that is definitely a better option than mine. Thank you. I am checking it out now.
Old 12/07/2007, 04:45 PM
Clownfish Crazy

I like the sound of the Vostro 1500. Does anyone have anything bad to say about it?
Old 12/07/2007, 04:50 PM
Cancer Sucks

Quote:
Originally posted by xxpipedreamxx
I like the sound of the Vostro 1500. Does anyone have anything bad to say about it?
If you get one, let me know how you like it. I'm thinking of getting one for my weather logger.

"There either is or there isn't life out there. Both possibilites are frightening."
Old 12/07/2007, 04:52 PM
Clownfish Crazy

What type of processor should I be looking for? Intel or AMD?
Old 12/07/2007, 04:53 PM
Cancer Sucks

The cheaper one. They'll both send an email and load a web page at the same speed.

Old 12/07/2007, 04:58 PM
Clownfish Crazy

Quote:
Originally posted by Satori
If you get one, let me know how you like it. I'm thinking of getting one for my weather logger.
Will do! I am reading reviews and seeing what I like. They dont have a 12.1 inch screen though and I like the small notebooks.
Old 12/07/2007, 05:10 PM
Cancer Sucks

IMHO, most people WAY overthink computer purchases. My current weather PC is a first-generation pentium from 1995 running Windows 2000, and it loads webpages just as fast as my new loaded-for-bear HP laptop. The only reason I'm looking to replace it is because sometimes it locks up and I have to shake it to get it to boot again.

Old 12/07/2007, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

i say build your own computer... much easier than you think and you get what you want for cheaper... thats what I do and my computers stay up to par for a good 6 years

thats my latest one built it for less than i would have bought a basic dell and it screams.
Old 12/07/2007, 07:57 PM
Premium Member

also check out Acer notebooks. I know of several people who ahve them and had 0 problems with them. They fall into that same dell pricerange and IME are more reliable
Old 12/07/2007, 09:40 PM
Clownfish Crazy

I have seen some very cheap Acer notebooks and considered getting one of them.

Right now, I believe that I will get the 1500 previously mentioned but I have made no actual decisions as of yet.

Money is one very messed up situation right now, but I definitely will be getting one.