Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 10/08/2007, 10:10 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Fishfreak218
Hello,
I am looking to start a 45-50g. SPS cube w/ a SSB and need your help, I have the RS135 on my 90g. mixed reef and am very happy with it but I have some questions. I am debating going with a RS 180 or the RC80 but dont know what to do. Is a recirc. skimmer better then the in-sump skimmers? Which do you think is better for a med-high bio-load 45-55g. SPS cube w/ a SSB [1"]?
thanks alot!
-Josh
I think the RC model will be larger than the RS, so it comes down to how much space you'll have under your 50g cube.
Old 10/08/2007, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

I am pretty sure Euroreef has a conversion kit (RS to RC) available on their website. However, I share the opinion of melev. I do my best to avoid any possible "critical failure" spots. A extermal skimmer overflow is always a pain and can be disasterous. I don't have to worry about comming home to find my sump water on the floor and my return pump running dry (at least not from the skimmer Although a recirculating skimmer is a little more efficient, I have compensated by oversizing the skimmer. Other things to consider are initial cost - recircs. are generally more expensive, resale price - recircs. seem to hold value a little better, and you could always run your recirculating skimmer in or over your sump. I run a older equivalent of the RS 180 on aprox. 75 g system volume and love it.
Old 10/08/2007, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

Hello All ! I have been wanting to be a part of the Euro reef club but don't know what model I should get. I am going to be running a 60 gallon cube with 15-20 gallon sump. Total water volume of 75 to 80 gallons. I will more than likely have a medium to slightly heavy bioload. Do I go for the RS80 or the RS100. Thanks!
Old 10/08/2007, 11:36 PM
TRC Leader

The RS 80 would work and fit well. The RS 100 gives you a little breathing room in case you get the upgrade bug again.
Old 10/08/2007, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

THANKS!! This has been the question of the century for me!!
Old 10/09/2007, 07:12 AM
Registered Member

The Reason for the out of sump installation is the I have as a water reservoir a 100 Gal Rubber Made Stock Tank. In the Sits a 25 Gal Oceanic Sump which acts as a refugium as well as a place for my current Aqua C skimmer to sit. It is not wide enough for the RS180 The new skimmer will actually be on top of the oceanic sump to catch any accidents. I do not need stray water in my basement.

Thank you

Dennis
Old 10/09/2007, 07:24 AM
Premium Member

So I just got an RS80 and installed it yesterday. The problem is it's loud! Not only does the pump vibrate, but about every 3-4 seconds it makes this weird noise that I can only describe as.....uhhhh.....sounding like whale song. It's strange. If I close down the air valve some the sound will become less frequent, and eventually if I close it about halfway the sound goes away entirely. Has anyone had an issue like this?
Old 10/09/2007, 08:34 AM
Registered Member

i have an rs80 as well...
first did you make any mods to this?
also, where is your water level at? my best results have come from 6-7 inches of water. i also placed the entire skimmer/pump on top of a rubber pad rendering the pump completely silent.
RS 80 Promo
Vortech WWD
Tunze 6025
Eheim 1260 Return
DIY Auto Top off
8G Fuge
aqua uv 15w
Old 10/09/2007, 08:41 AM
Premium Member

Water level is around 8.5" I'm not sure a rubber mat is going to solve this. It may possibly help the vibration problem, but this other issue isn't going to be solved by that.
Old 10/10/2007, 12:52 PM
Premium Member

I sent this to the ER tech but haven't heard anything, I'm just curious if anyone knows the answer.

In the process of setting up my RS80 I ran a toothpick through the air intake nipple just to make sure there was no plastic leftover from the molding process. Anyway, the toothpick goes in and then hits a lip on the bottom of air intake before it can make it into the water intake area. I shined a light through there and I can see that little lip blocks about half the air intake. It's not part of the mold, it's just part of the venturi I guess. Is that normal and does it serve any purpose? If not, is it OK to drill that part out so there is a straight path through the little air intake? It seems to me it would be an easy place for calcium or gunk to build up.
Old 10/10/2007, 02:17 PM
TRC Leader

Yes, you can drill it out. Just be careful because that section is pretty thin.
Old 10/10/2007, 07:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by trmiv
Water level is around 8.5" I'm not sure a rubber mat is going to solve this. It may possibly help the vibration problem, but this other issue isn't going to be solved by that.
I have an RS 80 on my 63 GL w/ sump. The sump was designed to fit the RS 80 water depth recommendation in the manual which states 8". I was having some problems with the skimmer over lowing after restarting and ER suggested the RS 80 would perfom better in 5 - 6" of water not 8", I certainly don't understand one recommendation in the manual and another recommendation from ER tech?? I bulit a stand out of 1/2'' PVC and eggcrate and my water level is about 5 1/2". Can't say I've seen any real improvement. Fortunately I haven't had any noise problems.
Old 10/10/2007, 08:01 PM
Premium Member

I'm pretty much at the limit of how high I can get mine with my current sump because of stand clearance, which puts the skimmer at around 8.25". I may try to get the water level closer to 7", but I'd have to cut my baffles by over an inch.
Old 10/11/2007, 04:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by trmiv
I'm pretty much at the limit of how high I can get mine with my current sump because of stand clearance, which puts the skimmer at around 8.25". I may try to get the water level closer to 7", but I'd have to cut my baffles by over an inch.
Before cutting anything it might be wise to try and contact ER (they're hard to get in touch with) and discuss the water height with them. Just a thought.
Old 11/05/2007, 08:09 PM
RC Sponsor

Call us anytime at 1-877-HEY-EURO
Old 11/05/2007, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

HELP I swaped out my tank yesterday so everything was unpluged
when I was done I tryed to get my skimmer back on and the sedra 3500 would not kick back on
It does have power cauz it gets warm
I puled out the impeller and cleaned it with no luck
Please let me know how I can get this working asap since my corals are stressed and I may have lost a fish or 3 in the sawp I need the skimmer back on asap
Thanks
Old 11/05/2007, 08:31 PM
TRC Leader

Have you tried to unscrew the cover plate while the pump is plugged in and the pump is submerged? I have to do this sometimes and that always works for me. That isn't Euro-reef's fault; I modified the impellar with mesh material and so it doesn't always fire up like it used to.
Old 11/05/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

do you mean the plastic intake front pice ? If so yes that is what ya need to take off to remove the impeller
I do not see anything else that can be removed
Old 11/05/2007, 08:41 PM
TRC Leader

Correct. While submerged in your sump, try to gently open up that impellar cover and pull it out slightly. You should hear it start up and odds are get a gush of water shooting up so be ready for that so you don't get a face full of water.
Old 11/05/2007, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

Nope it wont go
Old 11/05/2007, 08:57 PM
TRC Leader

Then I would contact Euroreef next.

Quote:
Originally posted by euroreef
Call us anytime at 1-877-HEY-EURO
In the meantime, maintain good water quality with flow. If the tank is lacking in oxygen for some reason, add an airstone w/ air pump to keep it up for now.

Tanks can run without issue without a skimmer, so if it is offline for a few days, livestock should be fine. Usually you just have to stay on top of water changes (once a week) if you don't have a skimmer. Try not to overfeed for now.
Old 11/05/2007, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

I have an older model cs6-3 and whenever I restart it I have to actually blow into the airhose against its natural flow & it starts right up. I've been restarting it this way for years. HTH --Rob--
Old 11/05/2007, 10:35 PM
El Jefe de WRS

So has anyone actually hooked up their ER 1262 eheim pumps to an air meter? I bought the venturi and pinwheel from them this summer to convert my 1262... to see how they are... and I only get about 20-22scfh. According to the conversation I had on the phone, this is all they use to convert the eheims as well... no custom output honing, grinding out the angles, or enlarging the volute. So where is my other 280lph of air?
Old 11/06/2007, 10:57 AM
Premium Member

I had the same problem with my impeller...after I unplugged it, it would get hot but wouldn't start on it's own. I would also have to slightly loosen the impeller housing cover to get the impeller moving. That method worked for about a year and then I had to call ER and order a new motor. Good Luck...Otherwise I love the ER skimmer! Tim

"Keep You Dreams Alive!"
Old 11/08/2007, 11:23 AM
Blue

New RS180 owner!!!

I was thinking about upgrading to the eheim pump that ER is selling and wondering if the only advantage is the pump being quieter than the GenX.
Is anyone running an eheim on their ER and what do you think?

hahnmeister, have you used the eheim on your ER or are you just testing what it will pull? If you have used it, did you notice the skimmer producing more?