Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/19/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

My outlet is underwater and it works fine, but I know that if it's too deep/too much inflow you might get some backpressure that raises the water level. Because you have two times the water volume entering/exiting, I'd try shortening the downtube so it is only an inch below the surface, not even with the pumps as it appears to be now.
Old 09/19/2007, 01:53 PM
Yep, that's our sailfin!

If your tube is under water AT ALL you will get a fluctuation in water level inside of the skimmer. Trust me on this, it is best to take it out of the water.

90g SPS Reef
our myReef is currently offline

Old 09/19/2007, 01:57 PM
TRC Leader

You have room under the stand so I would put a small something under the skimmer to lift it up a few inches. It could be an acrylic stand or one made of eggcrate.
Old 09/19/2007, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

where can i purchase eggcrate?
150aga,30gal sump,20gallon "miracle mud" fuge, er-cs6-2+ (mods in process) skimmer, panamax 100x return pump, vortech (just one to start) with controller (in early sept.) rowaphos in canister (2little fishies)
Old 09/19/2007, 03:31 PM
TRC Leader

It is lighting diffuser at Home Depot or Lowes, sold to 'hide' the fluorescent light fixtures in many business ceilings. It comes in white and silver, and is sold in 2'x2' and 2'x4' panels.

Easy to cut, and can be connected using zip ties.
Old 09/19/2007, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

thanks

(get the white version?)
150aga,30gal sump,20gallon "miracle mud" fuge, er-cs6-2+ (mods in process) skimmer, panamax 100x return pump, vortech (just one to start) with controller (in early sept.) rowaphos in canister (2little fishies)
Old 09/19/2007, 04:03 PM
TRC Leader

Yes, the silver one tends to flake off, and I don't know what that might do in saltwater.
Old 09/19/2007, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

Black eggcrate is/was available. I ordered sheets around 9 years ago, but with shipping it got to be around $30/sheet. Can't believe I tossed two sheets during the most recent move. Who knew I'd be back in this hobby again?
Old 09/19/2007, 09:34 PM
I'll take SWords for $500

Ok, I took the whole skimmer out of the sump tonight. Was happy to find that the plumbing was very easy to remove and take apart. I inspected all parts and when I put it back, I completely removed the outflow pipe that was under water so that the outflow was coming right out of the T section, and above the water line.....

still didnt work!! darn!

I took all of the plumbing apart as much as I could and inspected each piece. no blockages from what I can tell, but the piece going into the body of the skimmer and to the base of the inside of the skimmer is all one part. so i stuck some rigid tubing down it, ran some sink water through it. looked ok from what I can tell.

When I turned it back on -same exact performance.

Marc, to your point, I tried lifting the skimmer up out out of sump while it was running, so that it was in a few inches of water -- made a slight difference, but not enough. I even took the riser piece completely off , tried covering it up with my hand - that also made a very slight difference, but not enough.

So Im back again for more help :-)
Old 09/19/2007, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

my new RC1000. Its a beast.

Last edited by huskerreef; 09/19/2007 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09/19/2007, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

That thing just needs a few flames and it would be ready to take orbit!
Old 09/19/2007, 10:45 PM
TRC Leader

I have a feeling you aren't getting enough air into the skimmer. I know you said you cleaned out the venturis, but have you ever taken a couple of cups of very hot water, and submerged the venturi tubing into it so it will suck the hot water into the pump & skimmer? This is a great way to clean out salt creep.

Usually when enough air gets into the pump with the water, the skimmer doesn't fill as much as when you block the air. When I do that, by putting my thumbs over the tubes' openings, the skimmer will overflow every time.
Old 09/19/2007, 11:21 PM
Wife and dog.

Hey guys I am joining the club with a ER 180. I have a 90 reef that is on the way with a bunch of SPS frags and a light bio load. This is my first ER and I have a question adjusting the air valve. Do you leave it open or close it slightly? What is the idea here? Also, where should I shoot to dial in the wet/dry factor using the neck? I also clean out the air valve with hot RODI when I do water changes for what it is worth.

Whats up Mark, I sent you an email regarding phyto growing.

- Chris

Always accepting frags!!
Old 09/19/2007, 11:21 PM
I'll take SWords for $500

marc, ive never tried that. hear people say they do it. i ran regular water through them, blew air and a mouthful of water through them, and inspected them. think maybe they're still clogged with salt creep? ok, i need to try that next then. this is frustrating! again, thanks alot - I'll try it tomorrow!
Old 09/19/2007, 11:26 PM
Wife and dog.

Try to heat the water in the micro I have found that that works well in cutting through the salt creep.

Always accepting frags!!
Old 09/20/2007, 01:31 AM
TRC Leader

The tubing may be clean but the venturi nozzle going into the pump could be obstructed, perhaps. That is why the hot water is such a nice solution. You can heat up some RO water easily enough.

I've never even used air valves on my skimmer. Whatever air it can draw in is good enough for me. I set the water level in the skimmer so that the water is near the top of the body, and the bubbles are up in the riser tube / neck. If you run it too high, it is easy for the skimmer to suddenly get proactive and overflow the cup. Better to have it pulling out a consistent amount daily.
Old 09/20/2007, 08:34 AM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by huskerreef
my new RC1000. Its a beast.

Awesome skimmer, can you get a closer picture? Looks like you filled it with milk! I have a RC-500 and I only get dense bubbles about 3/4 of the way down. Looks like you have bubbles to the very bottom.

Visit My Chunk of the Ocean, click the Red House above.
Old 09/20/2007, 09:50 AM
Wife and dog.

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I've never even used air valves on my skimmer. Whatever air it can draw in is good enough for me. I set the water level in the skimmer so that the water is near the top of the body, and the bubbles are up in the riser tube / neck. If you run it too high, it is easy for the skimmer to suddenly get proactive and overflow the cup. Better to have it pulling out a consistent amount daily.
Marc,

Do you have pictures of your skimmer? Or even better yet, do you have a startup guide for Euro Reef owners? I read the instructions that it came with but I am not getting the results that everyone seems to get. I think I just don't have it set right. Who knows this could be another link on your webpage, I know it would help me out.

Thanks,
Chris

Always accepting frags!!
Old 09/20/2007, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

I get massive bubble usually to within a couple inches of the bottom. I will try to get a close up
Old 09/20/2007, 11:24 AM
Wife and dog.

That would be great. I have tried a few different combinations of air valve adjustments and riser tube adjustments. This is one of those things I don't think I am fully acheiveing from my skimmer and it is making me nuts after seeing everyone's success. Pictures are worth a thousand words especially with a description. Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Always accepting frags!!
Old 09/20/2007, 12:37 PM
TRC Leader

Here is my only decent picture, that basically shows how it is set up. Maybe it will help:

Here are a couple more:

Old 09/20/2007, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

Marc,

What is the white cap on your riser tube used for? I have an RS250, and it doesn't come with a cap.

Thanks
Old 09/20/2007, 01:54 PM
TRC Leader

That is a screw in cap, used to close off plumbing. What I did was drill a 3/16" hole in the top, and set it on the pipe to make it silent.

After a while, saltcreep will glue it to the pipe and your skimmer will work less well (vacuum-related). Eventually I cut a piece of rubber and placed it inside the cap to act as a cushion against the top edge of the gray pipe. This keeps it from vibrating and the drain stays silent.
Old 09/20/2007, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

Marc,

When you say, "to keep it silent", are you referring to the gurgling sound? When I submerge my drain pipe below the water level, I get a gurgling sound. If I tilt the drain pipe so that the water exits just above the water level, the gurgling disappears; However, I get water splashing as a result.

Do you have pics to share of the rubber cutout you made?

Thanks
Old 09/20/2007, 02:56 PM
TRC Leader

I'll have to take some pictures.