Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/15/2006, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

I forgot to include in my previous post that I purchased a 90gal tank. When my LFS was drilling the tank it popped. So, The 2 x 250w MH 14k (The setup is from CoralVue) if this is not a good bulb or setup, I will end up buying a 6 x 54w Retrokit from reefgeek.
Old 11/15/2006, 01:43 PM
Premium Member

Initial opinion of the GE 3000k

After a couple of years of changing bulb combos, I thought I would do something different. So I tried the 3000k bulb an ATI Blue + and a UVL SA replacing some of my current bulbs. I have tried GE 6500k, AB, Actinic +, and multiple combinations of the group in the past. Most recently I had all Gman bulbs with 2 Actinic + and 4 AB.

Current mix: Front to back in a Tek 6x54w;
SA, AB (Gman), B+ (ATI), 3000K (GE), AB (Gman), Actinic + (Gman)

Here is what I see in the first couple of days:

1. The UVL super actinic does quite a nice job fluorescing. It also brings out some of the pink in the coraline. It may not be 100% of the VHOs, but it is darn close.

2. The 3000k: At first the tank looked completely pink to my eyes when I turned it on. After a few minutes of adjustment, I could see purples and pinks in the coraline that I hadn't seen before. The reds and oranges look pretty good too. I'm not convinced (until Grim posts the numbers) that the 3000K has as high of a par as the "old" 6500K, but the 3000K does not wash out colors as much and accentuates the pinks, reds and oranges better.

I like the 3000k a lot. I am interested to see what colors some of the acros begin expressing with this bulb in. I think it would be too much in a fixture <5 bulbs. However, I think it is slightly underpowered in the combo I listed above. With one more bulb than my previous mix, the look of the tank is not quite as bright and is still a soft white/blue. Very easy on the eyes and appealing to me.

I think an ideal set up might be a 3000k and another higher Kelvin Day bulb in an 8-bulb set up with AB, SA and Blue +.

My 2 cents
Old 11/15/2006, 05:42 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
What would you all consider to be the best ballasts for T5s... Sylvania? Advance? Im in the market for some more... Im thinking soft start, electronic, etc...

What would you get? I dont want to overdrive them though... I have a couple IC660s already.
any opinions?
Old 11/15/2006, 06:01 PM
Hawks Rule!

Hopefully one of you can help me solve this....

I'm running a 48" retro for actinics on advance ballasts. One of the setups only fires one bulb properly. It lights the lamp, but doesn't light it up all the way(very dim and off color). I have switched bulbs, endcaps, rechecked the wiring.... and can't fix this problem. Do I have a bad ballast?

Sandbeds operate like wormholes and the excess nutrients and detritus are transported to a sister galaxy - Bomber

12-7-41 & 9-11-01 Never Forget!
Old 11/15/2006, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Grim,

Do you see the solar flare 6 bulbthats over driven and the 8 bulb tek light to be about the same par output?
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Re: Initial opinion of the GE 3000k

You might try adding a UVL Aquasun in place of the aquablue next to the GE 3000K, the Aquasun has a bit of a peto pink hue to it. The 3000K has more PAR than the new GE 6500K. If you think the colors are nice and just want a brighter look try the GE 6500, it is pretty white.

Quote:
Originally posted by BigEasy
After a couple of years of changing bulb combos, I thought I would do something different. So I tried the 3000k bulb an ATI Blue + and a UVL SA replacing some of my current bulbs. I have tried GE 6500k, AB, Actinic +, and multiple combinations of the group in the past. Most recently I had all Gman bulbs with 2 Actinic + and 4 AB.

1. The UVL super actinic does quite a nice job fluorescing. It also brings out some of the pink in the coraline. It may not be 100% of the VHOs, but it is darn close.

2. The 3000k: At first the tank looked completely pink to my eyes when I turned it on. After a few minutes of adjustment, I could see purples and pinks in the coraline that I hadn't seen before. The reds and oranges look pretty good too. I'm not convinced (until Grim posts the numbers) that the 3000K has as high of a par as the "old" 6500K, but the 3000K does not wash out colors as much and accentuates the pinks, reds and oranges better.

I like the 3000k a lot. I am interested to see what colors some of the acros begin expressing with this bulb in. I think it would be too much in a fixture <5 bulbs. However, I think it is slightly underpowered in the combo I listed above. With one more bulb than my previous mix, the look of the tank is not quite as bright and is still a soft white/blue. Very easy on the eyes and appealing to me.

I think an ideal set up might be a 3000k and another higher Kelvin Day bulb in an 8-bulb set up with AB, SA and Blue +.

My 2 cents

Re: Initial opinion of the GE 3000k

You might try adding a UVL Aquasun in place of the aquablue next to the GE 3000K, the Aquasun has a bit of a peto pink hue to it. The 3000K has more PAR than the new GE 6500K. If you think the colors are nice and just want a brighter look try the GE 6500, it is pretty white.

Quote:
Originally posted by BigEasy

My 2 cents
Old 11/15/2006, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by azlivingreef
Grim,

Do you see the solar flare 6 bulbthats over driven and the 8 bulb tek light to be about the same par output?
No, the Flare should slaughter it. The reflectors are 20% better, the ballast 35% and the fans are going to add even more output.
Old 11/15/2006, 08:16 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Nobody with some ballast advice?
Old 11/15/2006, 08:19 PM
Premium Member

Hahn,
I wish I could help you, but I use the scorned WorkHorse ballasts. I've been told that the warranty on my bulbs is void since I do...
Old 11/15/2006, 08:20 PM

Triads, Dynamic, VS, Advanced all good. I would bet on the Osram Sylvania stuff too.
Old 11/15/2006, 08:28 PM
Hawks Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquaticman74
Hopefully one of you can help me solve this....

I'm running a 48" retro for actinics on advance ballasts. One of the setups only fires one bulb properly. It lights the lamp, but doesn't light it up all the way(very dim and off color). I have switched bulbs, endcaps, rechecked the wiring.... and can't fix this problem. Do I have a bad ballast?

Grim,

Any idea what my problem could be here?

Sandbeds operate like wormholes and the excess nutrients and detritus are transported to a sister galaxy - Bomber

Old 11/15/2006, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquaticman74
Grim,

Any idea what my problem could be here?
If your wiring and endcaps are good and you switched the lamps the ballast is the only thing left. If it was working a blown ballast is a pretty good bet. If it never has worked recheck your wiring.
Old 11/15/2006, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

Grim

you made a recondation for my setup I have the Aqutronics 14x39 72" canopy with three controls I have looked all over trying to find what you recomended can you give me a hand and give me another idea of what bulbs to order I am going to sps, lps so I need it bright enough for a tank 72"x26"x24 thanks
Old 11/15/2006, 08:54 PM

Re: Grim

Quote:
Originally posted by Labman48076
you made a recondation for my setup I have the Aqutronics 14x39 72" canopy with three controls I have looked all over trying to find what you recomended can you give me a hand and give me another idea of what bulbs to order I am going to sps, lps so I need it bright enough for a tank 72"x26"x24 thanks
I'd do 1 row of GE daylights, 1 Row of GE 3000K's, 2 Rows of ATI Blue Plus, 1 row of UVL Super Actinics and 2 rows of ATI Blue Plus

Should be lotsa PAR and plenty of POP for the colors. The GE 3000K should be available through reefgeek, call them. If you can't get them do UVL Aquasun instead.
Old 11/15/2006, 08:56 PM
Hawks Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
If your wiring and endcaps are good and you switched the lamps the ballast is the only thing left. If it was working a blown ballast is a pretty good bet. If it never has worked recheck your wiring.
I'll order another ballast. Thanks Grim!

Old 11/15/2006, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Aquaticman,

You may want to do a google search for flb-troubleshooting-guide-2.pdf . It's a troubleshooting guide by Advance for their fluorescent ballasts. IIRC, it has a few tests for when only one bulb lights correctly. It also has good general installation advice. I keep a copy around for by my own debug use.

David "Jaqux"
Old 11/15/2006, 10:40 PM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
Triads, Dynamic, VS, Advanced all good. I would bet on the Osram Sylvania stuff too.
In the up coming weeks we will be getting in some samples of Advanced, Sylvania, Dynamic, and GE T5 ballasts for comparative testing. I can post some results after we get a chance to test the ballasts.

Tom
Aquactinics
Old 11/16/2006, 12:05 AM
El Jefe de WRS

That would be great. I am looking for something that is soft-start, but I wonder what the 'thermal monitoring' on some of the osrams might be.
Old 11/16/2006, 02:22 AM
Registered Member

KZ T5s

Thought I'd show you the effect of Korrallen Zucht T5 tubes after a few weeks use. Apparaently these are 5% red with the remainder 50/50 white blue:

Before: Geiseman AB+ plus Aquamedic OBA

After:

The tubes:

Simon
Old 11/16/2006, 02:45 AM

Sweet
Old 11/17/2006, 01:01 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Grim, did you ever get a chance to test the GE 3000K again, or do you have a final number?
El Jefe de WRS

Grim, did you ever get a chance to test the GE 3000K again, or do you have a final number?
El Jefe de WRS

Old 11/17/2006, 01:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
You can say that again!