Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/21/2003, 09:35 PM
Premium Member

What are your favorite stocks?

I am addicted to trading stocks! What are your favorite stocks?
This can be based on performance, familiarity, or any reason you like!

Right now my best picks are all in the gold mining sector (gold is on fire!), I like IAG,GSS,RGLD,and GG to name a few. My portfolio is up 24.2% this month!

I also like EBAY, and PIXR
Old 05/22/2003, 02:27 AM
Registered Member

I was up to 56% a few days ago with RAD and ADRX. Bought em back in Oct (RAD) and Feb (ADRX)...
Old 05/22/2003, 02:33 AM
Gold Coast

I have stock in Level 3 Communications...used to be awesome, profited about 8 g's then lost most of it (dont ask why I did not sell)...

Microsoft

and hmm, cant really remember what else, I let my pops take care of most of my stock situation for now till I'm out of college.

Allow myself to introduce... myself.
Old 05/22/2003, 08:08 AM
Reeferus Horribilus

I have all my money in precious metals and commodities.

That would be Harleys and groceries.

Well...and some airline stock. Would crash & burn be kinda' like catching fire?
Old 05/22/2003, 08:55 AM
Premium Member

LOL, Good one wizard!

dznuts007, those are some nice gains!

Quote:
I have stock in Level 3 Communications...used to be awesome, profited about 8 g's then lost most of it (dont ask why I did not sell)...
O.K. absolut I wont ask.

I forgot ABX (Barrick Gold) they are going to buy back 500 million dollars worth of their own stock! Anybody who's interested in the gold market and precious metals check out www.kitco.com

A friend of mine was telling me yesterday how she has made a bunch of dough on Electronic Arts.
Old 05/22/2003, 11:09 AM
Aspiring Polymath

After losing significant coin on the tech bubble, I am more inclined to look for companies with good earnings and profits. Speculation adds way more risk than I am willing to take now, so I tend to avoid the stocks that have capital gain potential but no profits.

While I probably have enough knowledge to do good investment research, I don't enjoy it much, and would rather spend my time doing something else. When I venture back into the market, I will probably settle on a diverse index fund like the Wilshire 5000. I've learned from my MBA classes that there is little relation between individually managed funds and performance. Sure, you have the "investment gurus" that manage funds that have beaten the market for the last ten years, but statistically, those things happen. There are thousands that do not beat the market.

In any case, I don't want to venture back into the market any time soon since there are signs that we are in a deflationary environment. If we are, I don't want to have any corporate equity holdings.
Old 05/22/2003, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

I completely agree dendro,
There is SIGNIFICANT risk involved with owning gold stocks. Anyone who invests in gold stocks should fully understand the risk before investing.

There is also potential for huge returns. Like the tech bubble which ultimately burst, there have been gold bubbles in the past. Gains in excess of 1000% were not unheard of. IF and that's a big if, the price of gold exceeds and holds $400.00 per ounce, there will be a frenzy in the gold market. It hit $390.00 back in January, before getting crushed back down to $320.00 in March. Yesterday it went above $370.00. One of the companies I mentioned, GSS traded at $20.00 per share when gold was $600.00 per ounce, today it trades at $2.20. Some of these stocks will at least double and quadruple, in fact they are lagging a bit behind the current price of gold already.

Right now conditions are very favorable towards gold, mainly the falling dollar, and increased demand for the metal. IMO gold will eventually take out $400, and who knows where it could go from there. History does repeat itself!

A careful investor can, and should have a portion of there portfolio in gold.
Old 05/22/2003, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

I have been investing since I was like 16, and while I occasionally "play" with a stock (usually on a tip from a well-connected family member), most of what I do is buy and hold stuff for the long term. I occasionally buy good companies that are beaten down (getting close to a three bagger with loads of MAT I bought a while back after Jill what's her name ran it into the ground). While I'm not buying just to buy, I am accumulating stuff at some pretty reasonable prices right now. I've always believed that you don't get rich quickly, but rather over time. Go to Vegas if you want to gamble. I do kina like FO right now. They're into lots of stuff, but I like the golf and liquor aspect of their business. Now if they would just go into strip clubs, it'd be a trifecta......
Old 05/22/2003, 07:27 PM
10 & Over Club

Anything but Coke.

Be careful with precious metal stocks they can plunge as fast as they rise.
Old 05/22/2003, 07:40 PM
possum chauffeur

XMSR, huge debt but very good short term play.

F (ford) - Best long term buy out there.

ALTR

DELL - Another 2-3 year play. HP and IBM will not beat him in the personal computer market.
Old 05/22/2003, 11:35 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Go to Vegas if you want to gamble. I do kina like FO right now. They're into lots of stuff, but I like the golf and liquor aspect of their business. Now if they would just go into strip clubs, it'd be a trifecta......
Thanks tennsquire, but I'll stick to my regular poker game on Fri nites Did check out Mattel and Fortune Brands, both look like solid companys. I personally consider the gold stocks as long term. I dont think the gold bull has stopped running, rather it's gathering momentum.

Quote:
Anything but Coke.
No doubt!

Jazzman,

I can see that xmsr has been on the move lately. That is an impressive chart! What has been behind the move up? Altr looks very good as well. Ford looks OK to me but with the way the economy is heading I wouldnt be thinking it'll take off any time in the next few years. I also wouldn't count out HP long term
Old 05/23/2003, 02:15 PM
Premium Member

Just one to watch, I used to work for Ethyl Corpaoration ( They manufacture Petroleuam lubes and chemicals). When I left just over 2 years ago it was trading at 0.98 the last trade was 9.00.

The did some reorg. of managment and have shot through the roof.

Also, if you think the recession is going to last a while longer you might want to check out some anti-cylical stocks such as AB beer and some tobacco companies.
Old 05/29/2003, 09:17 AM
Premium Member

Josh,
Wow! Climbing from $.98 to $9.00! That is very impressive! That must have been some serious restructuring! That one's going on my watch list for sure!

Keep em coming guy's!
Old 05/29/2003, 01:20 PM
Premium Member

How about Redhat? so what happen to that stock?????

Git-r-done...
Old 05/29/2003, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

should check out CFC, check it's past couple months movements. It's my only thing in the portfolio that's gained recently. Not to be tooting the company horn...heheheh.. Really though, I'm looking for a stock split hope, hope, hope... Do not construe this as any insider information though, I'm just a lowly peon and do not know any more than anyone else, prolly less... (read I lost my @$$ with SIRI at 3.80 a share and WCOEQ at .16 a share, but live and you learn!)
Old 05/30/2003, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

I have some xmsr bought in at 9.80 holding on to see what happens they were up then about 2 weeks ago went down but commming back up now..

also check out

alvr
prox

You heard it here first.. These are both 802.11 companies.. Wireless internet. I have been in the industry for quite some time and the market share that both these companies have is incredible..

bought prox @ 1.07 now 1.81
bought alvr @ 2.67 now 3.43
bought xmsr@ 9.78 now 11.18
purchase date was may 7 2003

This is my first attempt at trading.. Got my tax return back and figurered instead of just blowing it on fish stuff I would try to make some money with it so I could buy bigger fish stuff.. lol
Old 06/02/2003, 10:01 AM
Premium Member

Checked out Redhat, it hit a new 52 week high last month. Looks very strong.

OMG! I wish I heard about CFC 4 months ago!! WOW! I'll definitely be acquiring some soon!

Those wireless stocks are definitely worth watching!

MORE! MORE!
Old 06/20/2003, 10:04 AM
Premium Member

O.k. I'm fishing for some more ideas. I just sent a bunch of money to my online brokerage, and will be starting to invest it next week.

Does anyone have any other hot stock tips?

TIA,

Chip

Oh yeah, a couple of my mining stocks have been hitting new 52 week highs almost daily!
Old 06/20/2003, 10:06 AM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

For dress, I like the thicker Gold-Toe socks. For hiking or work, I prefer Thorlos.
Old 06/20/2003, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

I got lucky last year...

Bought about 10G of UDI (United Defense Industry's) back in june of last year at 18 something ish...

As of this morning it was at 26.99 ish....

Not bad for a year...

I also have about 1500 shares of PG that were left to me by my Grandpa...

As of this morning it was at 91.59ish....

Gota love grandpa for that little gift!!!
Old 11/20/2003, 05:42 PM
Premium Member

Thought I'd revive this thread with a performace update:

These are my biggest winners since July 03, as of todays closing prices.

GSS - aquired at $2.40 now $6.82 up 182%
CDE - aquired at $1.61 now $4.37 up 170%
WHT - aquired at $1.20 now $2.74 up 126%

This one I jumped on a couple weeks ago.

BGO - aquired $3.17 now $4.11 up 30% in 2 weeks!

This is all due to the recent rise in the gold price. Gold touched $400.00 a few times this week, and is now poised for a serious breakout. Comex gold closed today at $393.00.
BGO is still cheap and stands to be either taken over, or become one of the worlds largest producers, because of their new high grade million plus ounce deposit. I was tipped off by a former mining executive, turned investment advisor and so far its been a golden opportunity.

Any other investment ideas out there? I'm all ears.
Old 11/20/2003, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

check out cfc! I bought a 67 and she topped out the other day at 107!!! Wish I had some more money to buy back then. Now a 4 for 3 stock split!
Old 11/20/2003, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

That is a fantastic gain, I checked out CFC a while back, too bad I didn't jump on it then. Its getting a little pricey for me now though. I am really focusing on these junior and mid tier mining companies. For example, I hold 8000 shares of BGO so even a one dollar move up is a significant gain (or of course conversely a significant loss ). At the same time I have made considerable money, and am looking to take profits on some of my positions to diversify into other sectors.
Old 11/20/2003, 10:14 PM
Premium Member

Just an update on Ethyl. It's trading right around 19-20 dollars now, very impressive. My current company, Conoco Phillips, just signed a long term additive agreement with Ethyl which will futher boost the stock down the road.

Old 11/20/2003, 10:52 PM
Premium Member

Too bad I didnt pick up a couple thousand shares of EY back when it was only 9.00. I just checked it out at www.clearstation.com and it is currently pretty oversold. It has a good PE, and very high RS rating as well 91 out of 100. I might open a small position in it tomorrow. Thanks for the update Josh!