Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/10/2008, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

interceptor treatment

Hi all,

It's been a sad couple of days, as I have been wondering why the polyps on some of my acros are no longer extending. I had a really close look and discovered little red spec's on them.
Next thing they were moving. So I did some more reading on Interceptor, so another day went by and now I can easily see the little bugs crawl around.

So today, as soon I came home from work I started the application of Interceptor (75mg for my 29G). I used the pill for a small dog or cat.
I removed my snails and hermits from the tank and put them in my 10G.

So the first couple of hrs , there was not much change, the little buggers were still pretty active, finally after about 3.5 hrs I don't see much movement, and it looks like most of them are dead.
In a couple of hrs I'll do a 20% water change and turn the filters on again, add carbon. and repeat next weekend.

Has anyone here done this? Did you follow the same treatment?

How do you treat new acro corals before putting them in the tank? Same Interceptor, stronger dose, shorter time?

Just sharing my experience here and hoping for some advice to avoid this in the future.

Waffleman
Old 01/11/2008, 12:40 AM
BAMF

I think I had the bugs about a year in a half to two years ago...

They really suck, and do a number on your SPS!

The interceptor worked like a charm though...

In fact, i didn't even lose the three renegade hermit crabs in the tank either!

Have no worries, the interceptor will do the trick...

Steve
Old 01/11/2008, 08:13 AM
Premium Member

i did the treatment prolly a year ago now, put all of my acros in a 20 long and used about a quarter to a half a pill of the large cat dog intersepter, i believe it is 200 or 300 times to recomended dosage. i threw a hermit in there for good measure to see how fast it worked and the hermit was dead within 5 mins. let it site over 24 hours and then did 4 35% water changes within a few hours of each other. then i let the cacros sit in the 20 for like 6 days because i beieve i had read some where that RB can live for 5 days without an acro host. any way it worked very well and i havnt seen a RB in a year.
Old 01/11/2008, 05:04 PM
Killer of Giants

How'd you guys procure the interceptor. I was just at the vets w/ my dog and I brought camera, even a dead frag with dead red bugs on it and she was hesitant to give a prescription. I may wear her down, but, Is there an easier way?????
Old 01/11/2008, 05:08 PM
Premium Member

just went to the vet and ask...lol...and they gave it right out...dont think it is the best vet to go to. i wouldnt take any of my pets there. so try that capt. go to a vet that you wouldnt take your dog and ask them.
Old 01/11/2008, 05:34 PM
Killer of Giants

Jeeze, was the vet wearing a bloody lab-coat and smoking a cigarette??? Sounds pretty shady......

It gives me confidence in my vet (even though I just dropped over $300 on my dog) that she's gonna look into it first. BUT, that don't help me get these infernal critters out of my tank soon enough !!!!
Old 01/11/2008, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

apparently I didn't dose enough , so I did it again today, but I used a quarter pill this time.

I still had some crawlers last night. I don't see anymore of them right now.

I will be doing another water change in an hour

As far as source, I got 1 pil from a friend who has a dog. But he just goes to the vet and get it (of course pays for them), doesn't even bring the dog.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Waffleman