Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society

Old 01/10/2008, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

Question ACJr or Reefkeeper2

Which is better?

Does anyone have a used one laying around that might be for sale?

RK2's look like they go for $270 new and ACJr goes for $250 neither one includes pH probe.

Thanks for your input
Old 01/10/2008, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

Sorry ACJr is $225 w/ DC8 on neptune's website
Old 01/10/2008, 01:29 PM
Premium Member

i came up with $325 for the ACJr. to get everything you get with the Reef keeper 2. you need to add the serial port with the acjr as well as aquanotes. you can get the reefkeeper 2 from Twopartsolution for i believe $255. also reefkeeper has its version of aqua notes free. their revisions are free downloads as well.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, I just checked there and it would be $297.33 shipped with pH probe and calibration fluid packets.

Seems to be a little better deal but I would still consider a used one if someone had one for sale
Old 01/10/2008, 01:52 PM
Premium Member

do you have a Ca reactor on your 33? or Ph problems??that would realy be the only reason to use a ph probe, if not it is kinda a waste of money IMO.
Old 01/10/2008, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

I got my controller acjr for 304 shipped that unite with serial port, dc8, temp probe, ph probe, and cable. should be here today. here is a good site with some great comparisons. http://www.aquariumcontrollers.com/a...ontrollerchart
also look at the neptune web site there are a bunch of extra features the unit can do if you get the extra software
Old 01/10/2008, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

No Ca reactor yet but I am looking to upgrade in the not to distant future to a larger tank in which I hope to keep SPS and will therefore most likely want one
Old 01/10/2008, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

The ACjr can control 12 devices, the RK2 can only handle 8. Not sure if that makes a difference.

I have nothing bad to say about either. I love my ACjr. and I have only heard good things about Digitial Aquatics customer service.

"And that's all I have to say about that."
Old 01/10/2008, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

This will be primarily for a upgraded tank that I have nothing for yet. How many outlets do you think I might need?

lights (probably 2 cords)
maybe an auxiliary fan for the light
skimmer (maybe just plugged into the wall?)
power heads (2? )
heater
return pump
fan/chiller
fuge light
moon light LEDs

hmmmm thats already over 8 and I'm sure that I'm forgetting a thousand things and more that I will realize I need after setting up
Old 01/10/2008, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

well, if that was everything and I plugged skimmer into the wall, and then used a cheap timer for moon/fuge light that would put me at 8 Then if the lights came with their own fan that leaves one to spare. Can you put a power strip into one of the DC8 outlets for items on the same time schedules?
Old 01/10/2008, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

Personally I would not plug the skimmer or the return pump into the controller, unless you want to shut the return pump off at feeding time.

I would say that 8 would be fine, but you might want to expand in the future. This is why I choose the ACjr (I was lucky enough to get mine used though).

Old 01/10/2008, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

Also, the ACjr comes with a DC8, in order to control the other 4 devices you would need a DC4.

Old 01/10/2008, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

Hey keep an eye on this thread for the RK 3's release and you may be able to pick up a RK 2 real cheap.....

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1227621

Geo
Old 01/10/2008, 05:47 PM
Premium Member

If your thinking of adding wave programs via an Netptune Aquasurf you may want to think about the regular AC instead of the jr.
Old 01/10/2008, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

I just read that whole thread on the RK3/RKE and it sounds awesome and is promised to be under $600

I might wait until I have more money to blow on something like that or if not once it does come out, like blugobi said, the used controller market should be flooded driving the cost down for me.
Old 01/10/2008, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

I too have been watching that thread.

I would have mentioned it, but I thought you wanted somthing cheaper than $600.00, sorry.

Old 01/10/2008, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

I want something way cheaper but I might just say heck with it for now and save up for something like that