Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 11:20 PM
Professional somedays

OT- When did Dual become Duel?

I was just curious on this as I see so many threads saying duel whatevers. I personally think it would cool to have my fish spar off against one another. Well not the expensive guys but maybe the cheapos. I'm thinking damsel fish....
Old 01/09/2008, 12:06 AM
T5 Reefer

OMG don't get me started on the dumbing down of America LOL ... I see so many people interchanging the words "two, too and to" or "there, their and they're". We see lots of people with "fudges" under their tanks. You could spend the entire day just correcting grammar in one or two of the forums on reefcentral.

Oh BTW, my 12 yr old son has a spelling bee Wednesday at 6pm They gave the entire 7th and 8th grades a test with 20 words and the top 20 scorers are in the Bee.
I have been doing my best to slow the dumbing down at my house.
Old 01/09/2008, 04:29 AM
RC Sponsor

here is a good watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE
Old 01/09/2008, 06:38 AM
Registered Member

I teach high school english. The things I have seen . . .

Kids like to write about the Salem Which Trails, where there was a wich hun't.

Sew, *** you can si, you aren't the only won who seize this tipe of thing, eye si it two. Does that make since?

Teenagers write in their own pigeon language.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:47 AM
Registered Member

I challenge you to a DUEL!
Old 01/09/2008, 07:55 AM
Registered Member

I prolly agree with all of you.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:36 AM
Professional somedays

Quote:
Originally posted by itZme
Oh BTW, my 12 yr old son has a spelling bee Wednesday at 6pm They gave the entire 7th and 8th grades a test with 20 words and the top 20 scorers are in the Bee.
Congrats! I remember those days.

Quote:
Sew, *** you can si, you aren't the only won who seize this tipe of thing, eye si it two. Does that make since?
I si. English is an ever expanding language right? So who's to say this isn't the new english and what I'm typing will be considered ol' english? Personally, I won't do business with anyone that can't type the language. I think its saved me some time and money in the long run b/c I've never run into anyone shady that spells correctly.

Quote:
challenge you to a DUEL!
It's on. Let me find my leather glove to smack you and make it official! What is the official dueling these days? DDR?

Quote:
I prolly agree with all of you.
You prolly agree? Is that like.... can you borrow me some money?
Old 01/09/2008, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

Text messaging has been the death of high school english. You'd be amazed at how many students try to turn in papers to me with words like cuz(because) and u(you).
Old 01/09/2008, 09:59 AM
Moved On

yeah between text messaging and IM. its quicker to type in short english!

Hey what r u doing tmr?
Old 01/09/2008, 10:00 AM
Moved On

Ive had to watch myself when writing papers b/c word doesnt always pick up the short type you put in. looks real stupid when someone else is reading it and you have a million mistakes
Old 01/09/2008, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

Don't forget IDK!!!

I get irritated when I see that.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

My wife(also a teacher) had a 7th grader turn in an assignment this week with the word peepal instead of people written on it. That was good for a laugh!
Old 01/09/2008, 11:00 AM
Professional somedays

Oh maybe he was thinking of ebay's peepal system...
Old 01/09/2008, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

How about the difference between then and than? That one really irks me. Then shows reference to time and than is comparative. I see these mixed up all over the forum.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:49 AM
Professional somedays

Personally, I think these forums are better then most other webhosted forums....
Old 01/09/2008, 11:53 AM
m0derated

I want to know when the words "sell" and "sale" became interchangeable. I want to puke every time I see something "for sell".

And "striped" is always spelled "stripped".

And thread subject lines are always showing posession instead of plural. But only in the subject lines. Ever notice that? "pictures of my zoandthid's". or "Check out my clam's"

waahhhhhh!
Old 01/09/2008, 12:13 PM
I have wet shirt sleeves

And I thought I was the only one that felt this way. Most of my favorites are listed above.
Old 01/09/2008, 12:24 PM
We'll get 'em next year!

How about Axe(d) for Ask(ed)? Nothing like Axing your friend...
And Eckspecially is not a word!!!
Old 01/09/2008, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

lol

After I posted my Ballast for sale. I looked at it and thought, you know what, it just doesn't look correct! then I posted it on CORAs site and it hit me what was wrong.

I admit it, I did it.

Just when you think you have made it Idiot proof, they just build a better Idiot.
Old 01/09/2008, 01:01 PM
Team RC Member

Hmmm. So that's why no one is interested in my ballast.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shawnz28
here is a good watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE
That was funny!

I don't always like to type formally, because I am just lazy sometimes.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:48 PM
Premium Member

That's an awesome video!
Old 01/09/2008, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

I find myself typing prolly occasionally and it drives me nuts, because then I have to go back and fix it. I dont even say it that way which makes it even worse.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:23 PM
Premium Member

I think that "dunno" is popular too. I dunno why either...
Old 01/10/2008, 02:22 AM
T5 Reefer

Originally posted by itZme

Quote:
Originally posted by Genetics
Congrats! I remember those days.

Thanks! He got bumped in the 5th round tonight. Out of 20 kids only 12 even showed up. They went 3 rounds without missing a word then started dropping out quickly as the words increased in difficulty. His word was, "precipitate". He got in a hurry and accidentally used an "S" instead of the "C". Oh well, I was glad he even got up there and at least he didn't get bumped on the word "school" like the first kid did

My 14 yr old daughter won it for the whole elementary school when she was in 3rd grade but the competition gets more fierce every year.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sloth
And "striped" is always spelled "stripped".

And thread subject lines are always showing posession instead of plural. But only in the subject lines. Ever notice that? "pictures of my zoandthid's". or "Check out my clam's"

waahhhhhh!
Sloth, that is one of the things that bothers me the most. I see so many people with aquarium's for sale or "frag's" or, on mailboxes, I see where people write "The Smith's" for the plural of Smith. I always think, "OK the Smith's what... mailbox?" Doesn't anyone remember that the apostrophe shows possession?

Does it bother anyone else that an entire ad campaign is built around the improper use of the question "Where are you?". It's Boost mobile and the ad is "Where you at?". Uhhhh, last time I checked we shouldn't add a preposition at the end of a sentence and the "at" is totally unnecessary since the question they are AXing is, "Where are you?" with the "Where" and "are" being made into a contraction. (without the use of an apostrophe I might add)

One last thing to whine about for tonight. How many times do I have to see "Green Slimmer" frags for sale? Slime only has one "M"

-- Kevin