Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge

Old 01/05/2008, 04:09 PM
Premium Member

Talking Got my first gun today.

Went to the gun show and walked away with a Glock 23 .40 caliber. Got a couple mag extensions with it to get the grip longer but i think i will take them back. They look ugly and i dont really need the longer handle. Its my first and i already want to go get a M1 Grand (spelling, may be grant?) Who else here has a gun(s)?

Chris
Old 01/05/2008, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

Re: Got my first gun today.

Quote:
Originally posted by HornetMech242
Who else here has a gun(s)?

Chris
there are more guns in the lounge than the freaking US armory
Old 01/05/2008, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

Its Garand. Checkout civilian marksmanship program at www.odcmp.com for information on getting a surplus one.
Old 01/05/2008, 04:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tdog44632
Its Garand. Checkout civilian marksmanship program at www.odcmp.com for information on getting a surplus one.
That means that i have been mispronouncing it all the time then.

Chris
Old 01/05/2008, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

I have a few............. The M1 is a fine wepon....not much use unless your hunting or target shooting or something. No uses IMHO as a home defence wepon.

I'm not a fan of Glocks - I love my Glock 27 though so I may be converting a bit - the 23 is the full sized version of mine.

I have never returned anything to a gun show but around here they usually do not allow it, might not be the case with your dealers. Reason being the local dealers around here are at gun shows to shed alot of inventory quickly, if they took returns at the show they wouldn't have time for the mass of people at the show buying. If you have a receipt and the dealer is local go and check out his shop and take it back there, I don't recomend bothering tem at the show.

Also make an effort to get to know the gun shops in your area and find one where you like the sales people, that way you can ask questions and have confidance in the answers they give you and if your a regular customer they are likly to get to know your abilities and hlp steer you to guns that fit your needs.

oh yeah and like aquariums guns are addictive, I refuse to count my collection and unless I have plenty of disposable income I can't let myself go to guns shows as I always end up walking out with something new.

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 01/05/2008, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

ask Clavery, she has lots to choose from.

There were plenty of fish in the sea, but i wasn't ready to hang up my tacklebox.
Old 01/05/2008, 04:37 PM
Where the future begins!

We have 4 atm... probably will be picking up two more at the gun show next weekend.

Correction: We have 5... I always forget about Matt's SKS

And then we have a little cheapy revolver that was confiscated from a family member.
Do evil in return."

“Those things that nature denied to human sight, she revealed to the eyes of the soul.”
Old 01/05/2008, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey Porter
ask Clavery, she has lots to choose from.
Please clarify that I have lots of SHOES to choose from, not GUNS!
Old 01/05/2008, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

ok, got the women mixed up. is it Carrie?

There were plenty of fish in the sea, but i wasn't ready to hang up my tacklebox.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:30 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

The Garand is an excellent weapon and you can still get them for less than $1,000. However, they are very heavy and bulky weapons. I would not suggest them unless you have played around with a friend's M-1 and know what kind of weapon it is. (They are very different from modern day weapons.)

The Glock 23 is a fine weapon and spare parts as well as upgrade items are widely available. (I'm not a personal fan of Glocks, but that has nothing to do with weapon performance. It's just a matter of some of the features.)

My suggestion for your next purchase would be a Browning Buckmark .22. It's a pretty cheap, but very accurate pistol and very cheap to shoot frequently. It's a GREAT plinking weapon to get practice with.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:54 PM
m0delgator

Quote:
Originally posted by Muttling

My suggestion for your next purchase would be a Browning Buckmark .22. It's a pretty cheap, but very accurate pistol and very cheap to shoot frequently. It's a GREAT plinking weapon to get practice with.
+1, but I'd also check out something like a Ruger Mark 1. IMHO, there's absolutely no point in owning guns (for any purpose, but especially home defense) unless you're really good at using them. And, you're not gonna get good at using any gun unless you put a ton of lead through it. And, trust me - you're much better off putting a lot of lead through something dirt cheap and simple (think: 22 pistol or rifle!)

Owning a "cool" handgun that you've never put more than a few dozen rounds through is not only pointless, it's pretty dangerous. IMHO at least. So either get out there and shoot it or buy something cheaper and easier to learn on.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:12 PM
Premium Member

DWIZM...you surprise me! I never pictured you as a pistol packin....errrrr....DWIZM
Old 01/05/2008, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

+2 I have a MARK II very accurate and fun to shoot cheaply.

I think they are up to Mark III now.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:31 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht
+1, but I'd also check out something like a Ruger Mark 1. IMHO, there's absolutely no point in owning guns (for any purpose, but especially home defense) unless you're really good at using them. And, you're not gonna get good at using any gun unless you put a ton of lead through it. And, trust me - you're much better off putting a lot of lead through something dirt cheap and simple (think: 22 pistol or rifle!)

Owning a "cool" handgun that you've never put more than a few dozen rounds through is not only pointless, it's pretty dangerous. IMHO at least. So either get out there and shoot it or buy something cheaper and easier to learn on.
Exactly, and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE is even more important with a pistol because all it takes it having the gun tilted one way or jerking the trigger a tiny bit to move that shot several inches.

Something in a .22 or believe it or not AIR category are a great platform to really learn on. A bigger caliber is great and all, but unfortunately time after time with beginners who try to learn on a bigger caliber they develop a really bad habit of jerking the trigger or flinching - because they're expecting that recoil. And with a pistol if you want to be accurate you can't have any of that. With .22 or air there isn't any of that recoil and you can learn to hold it there, squeeze the trigger evenly, follow through, and not have the gun move in the slightest .

As for the original question - I can't even begin to list all the guns we have . I don't shoot too awful much anymore but dad and my brother are always coming home with a new gun. We have everything from competition air pistols, to different .22 calibers, to blackpowder rifles and pistols.

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 01/05/2008, 09:38 PM
~~ P.P.P.P.P.P.P ~~

Re: Got my first gun today.

Quote:
Originally posted by HornetMech242
Who else here has a gun(s)?
There is a loaded S.&W. 357 magnum behind my headboard. I have to agree with the others on the "familiar fire" and safety suggestions. I would strongly recommend a trigger lock in any proximity of children, even if locked up in a safe etc.. TinMan
Old 01/06/2008, 02:52 AM
Premium Member

"a pistol is only as accurate as the person shooting it"
stupid saying, but very true. if you're not comfortable handling the gun, you're not gonna shoot very well with it.
for .22's, the Brownings, Rugers and Walther's are very good guns. the Beretta U22 is hit or miss. working at Gander Mountain, i've heard they are the best or worst gun ever, depending on who i am talking to. the .22's are totally personal preference, they are all great guns, and about the same price. BTW, the Ruger Mark III's i've seen are a lot different from the Mark II's, at least in the grip. the MK II is not angled as much.
the Glock is a good gun, very reliable. if you are ever looking for something similar, look at the Springfield XD. IMO, a better gun and much more comfortable. and the disassembly is just as easy as the Glock.

I have a Charles Daly .45 ACP pistol (B-day present, not a bad gun), a Desert Eagle .44 Mag (my favorite), a Browning BAR .7mm Mag (deer gun), and a Benelli M1(awesome shotgun).

i love my Desert Eagle, i got it in 44. Mag cause i do not reload my own shells and if i want to shoot it, i want the blammo to be easy to find and somewhat cheap. the cheap thing didn't happen
Old 01/06/2008, 03:25 PM
Premium Member

I have not gotten a chance to shoot it yet but i am looking forward to it. The shop i bought it fro had both the best price and was local. So there wontbe a problem taking that part back.

I have shot the M1 before that beonged to a friend. I did like it alot. I dont know if its the gun or the "clank"of the mag popping out. He had a lot of guns, we would pack up for the weekend with five people and go out to the desertto shoot. he had enough to give each person a pistol and rifle to use and had three shotguns to pass around.

But i look forward to taking mine to the range to feel it in action.

Chris
Old 01/06/2008, 06:53 PM
HAPPY NEW YEAR! :D

Finally someone's going to take care of the Brian problem. :-P
Old 01/06/2008, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

I would maybe get a mosin nagant instead of the M1 Garand. ALOT cheaper and easy to service and maintain.

"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." -Britney Spears

Rehab is for quitters.

I like the smell of a particularly ripe fart (only if it is mine).~BrianD
Old 01/06/2008, 09:01 PM
Pulling my hair out

The Glock 23 is a very fine choice in my opinion. One of the most reliable & durable handguns on the market (again, IMO). I had one for 5 years and only traded it towards a Sig239 to go a little smaller in size. My G23 only failed to fire 2 times out of several thousand rounds I put through it, and they were both crappy ammo with hard primers (Wolf ammo, if you're curious) .40 ammo is a bit more expensive than 9mm, but it's a solid round for self/home defense. Shoot the heck out of it and have fun. If you've never shot pistols before, get some education on it and on the laws for your state, it's important. The more you practice, the better you'll get with it & the more comfortable you will be with it which is very important.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

Garand FTW!

Quote:
I would maybe get a mosin nagant instead of the M1 Garand. ALOT cheaper and easy to service and maintain.
I agree but the M1 value is going up quite a bit right now. And it is semi auto vs. bolt. On the other hand nothing beats the fireball out of a Moisin.

Quote:
The Garand is an excellent weapon and you can still get them for less than $1,000. However, they are very heavy and bulky weapons. I would not suggest them unless you have played around with a friend's M-1 and know what kind of weapon it is. (They are very different from modern day weapons.)
I do not agree, it is a fine weapon and the basis for a few of todays weapons. For example; M1A1, M-14 which are still in service. They are heavier than most modern weapons though. They weigh in at about 9 lbs. Most people are carrying these from their home to the car, and then from the parking lot to the range. So weight is not really an issue. Besides it helps with the recoil.

Quote:
No uses IMHO as a home defence wepon.
Use what you are comfortable with. It wont do you any good if you are not familiar or rusty with the firearm. I shoot mine alot, there for it would be my go to gun. I am a bad shot with my pistols but rifles are a different story.

Like others have said - Practice! and practice with the gun that your life may depend on. Practicing with a .22 is good, but it is not the same. Different recoil, sight picture, and weight.

[IMG][/IMG]
I almost forgot the most important reason to get a Garand. History. My M1s were built in 43'. I wish they could tell me where they had been, and who carried them.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:53 AM
That's Mind Bottling !

I got THREE GUNS this weekend too !!!

They are sequentially numbered Walther P38's from the German Army. My dad picked em up in Germany when we were stationed there when I was in Jr. High. They all have had amazing scrolling work done and each hand grip has a different scene hand carved on it.

I'll get pictures soon....gorgeous weapons

I look at her with my head tilted to the side and in a soft voice I just say; You're so pretty !
Old 01/07/2008, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

Thats why I have mine history.
I have a 1903 made in 1920.
A M1 made in 1942.
And two Lugars a 1918 and a 1942.
I would love to hear some of there stories.
Old 01/07/2008, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

i would love to hear the stories as well. Especially the walthers and lugers. I love german weapons.

"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." -Britney Spears

Rehab is for quitters.

I like the smell of a particularly ripe fart (only if it is mine).~BrianD
Old 01/07/2008, 03:41 PM
Guardian of Little People

I have a sling-shot.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant