Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

Book reccomendations please

I just got my 55 up and running and want to keep it mostly sps. Can anyone reccomend some books on advanced reefkeeping that might include propigation. I'd like to keep acros, monti, that kind of suff. I've already read "the conciences marine aquarist" and have several books in my library. Shoot me the title and I will let you know if i've read it or not. Photos of the cover of reccomended reading would be great. Feel free to ask any questions you may have about my setup as well and give any reccomendations Thank you.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:19 AM
Friend to Vallonia

I've gained a lot of knowledge from "Aquarium Corals" by Eric Borneman.

I understand there's a new edition of "Coral Propagation" by Anthony Calfo that's just come out. There's a thread in the propagation forum about it.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:34 AM
RC Mod

I agree that "Aquarium Corals" is worth getting.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

I just missed getting that book(aquarium corals) tonite on ebay. outbid by 75 cents. dagnummit. the auction also included marine inverts by julian sprung. I will definitely be adding this book to my library within the next 2-4 weeks. What would you say is a fair price for a copy of Anthony Calfos book. I've seen it go for $30.00. Seems kinda high for a spiral bound book to me, but hey I guess it's what's inside that counts.
Old 01/05/2008, 03:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bertoni
I agree that "Aquarium Corals" is worth getting.
I agree with the above it is a great book that i have spent a lot of time reading.
Old 01/05/2008, 04:18 AM
Registered Member

I have both Aquarium Corals and Calfo's BOCP. The former is great for pics and the latter has the best info in my opinion. BOCP took a while for me to get into but it is by far my favorite.
Old 01/05/2008, 04:23 AM
Registered Member

I highly recommend the calfo book. I've had mine for a couple weeks and I can't put it down. Tons of info.
Old 01/05/2008, 07:57 AM
Premium Member

Anthony Calfo's books are the best by far in my opinion, especially BOCP. His second edition also has wonderful pictures. Read this book multiple times, it has incredible information in it.

~Steve~
Old 01/05/2008, 09:30 AM
Premium Member

I normally purchase my books used from Amazon.com So far I have never received a book that was not in new condition.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:59 AM
Premium Member

I too have gotten excellent deals from Amazon.com but I have done well with ebay too. I can heartily recommend Eric Borneman, Anthony Calfo, and Bob Fenner as sources of excellent information.

~Steve~
Old 01/05/2008, 03:10 PM
Friend to Vallonia

I think the spiral bound Calfo book must be the first edition. I believe the second edition is hardbound with more than 1,000 pictures. I saw it yesterday on Amazon for $60. It only came out a few weeks ago. Hey, it's the cost of a nice coral, so don't think of it as too expensive

To be honest, I've never regretted buying books on aquaria.

I learned so much from Borneman's book about the biology of corals, which I think really helps me in determining how to best provide for them. It's a depth of knowledge you rarely find online in one place. It also has a lot of info about specific species and how to care for them, as well as lots of info about pests and diseases.
Old 01/05/2008, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

thats what im looking for guys, MEAT AND TATERS!!!